Sure, why not. Whatever. WWE Network and Wrestlemania

Goalie

Its not that I have an issue with the rock coming on, your right, guy paid his dues, but I just saw nothing of a point why he was there.  As much as I didnt care for the ol novelty gm for a show, at least something like that gives him face time n a reason for being there "booking matches".  Coming out just for the fans to go weeee, can be done on a different platform like out in the community

7 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Its not that I have an issue with the rock coming on, your right, guy paid his dues, but I just saw nothing of a point why he was there.  As much as I didnt care for the ol novelty gm for a show, at least something like that gives him face time n a reason for being there "booking matches".  Coming out just for the fans to go weeee, can be done on a different platform like out in the community

100% this.   Inassume he will be involved in the Hunter / roman match which they can't announce until after the next PPV. But they should have had rock interact with better guys in a serious way. 

Funny don't draw money. 

Surprised by this news:

TNA announced Tuesday that former TNA Champion Jeff Hardy has signed a new contract with the company. Terms were undisclosed.

Hardy had openly talked with friends in recent months about being interested in a WWE run, but TNA has been very aggressive in signing talent of late to significant guaranteed contracts.  While not announced yet, given the nature of his recent turn, one would also expect current TNA Champion Matt Hardy to also stay with the company.

The combination of the day after the Royal Rumble and the appearance of Dwayne Johnson led Raw to huge numbers last night, averaging 4.09 million viewers over the three hours, up 18 percent from the prior week.

For a comparison, the new audience brought in by the usual Rumble bump and curiosity of where that leads saw hour one up 10 percent from last week, so that's roughly what Raw could have been expected to do, or slightly more because last week did have that bad third hour, as compared to last week without The Rock. Where The Rock helped the numbers is that hours two (where he appeared in the last few minutes) and three (where he appeared in the first few minutes) help up far better than usual, and hour two outdrew hour one, a rarity these days.

Still, last year's post-Rumble Raw did 4.41 million viewers and a 3.27 rating for a studio show where they replayed the Rumble itself due to the blizzard.

The three hours were:

8 p.m. 4.14 million viewers
9 p.m. 4.18 million viewers
10 p.m. 3.97 million viewers

13 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I only caught the end of smackdown, but Reigns, ambrose, big show n jericho feuding with the wyatts, does this all but mean lesnar vs HHH? I dont really care for that unless rollins comes back in time for wm and tufns on hhh/the authority

I don't think so.  I think we're getting primed for that team to break up so it becomes Jericho vs Ambrose and Show vs Strowman.  Reigns is just being given something to do until he challenges HHH at Wrestlemania.

Also because Brock doesnt work every show, they need to have "his" opponents doing other things in the meantime.

Ambrose turning is probably likely.  If they maintain their plan to coronation Roman at WM then he needs heels to work with after the fact.  Hunter is the #1 heel right now and he wont be working full time before WM (though he will do some houseshows) let alone after.  The problem with turning Ambrose is that he's infinitely more over than Roman.

In fact, some people predict WrestleMania will change plans because, unless Hunter is really on top of his game manipulating the fans, he's going to get cheered against Roman.  The speculation is Rocky (and maybe Ronda) in Roman's corner at WM with Vince is Hunter's corner to help get the right reaction for Roman.  WM ending with Roman celebrating with Rock and Ronda gets Roman all the mainstream publicity. 

Vince is notorious for locking in the direction but he's changed a couple of times, most notably the Daniel Bryan run a couple years ago when WM was planned to be Batista vs Orton.  So there is always the chance sustained negative response to Roman causes Vince to get cold feet.  But because Hunter is in the match, I tend to doubt it.  Hunter didnt want to go with Bryan even when it was obvious they had to, Vince made the decision.  So Hunter is more likely to go with Plan A.

The slight chance of plans being screwed up probably have less to do with Ambrose (because even though he's more over than Roman, the fans arent in love with him like they were with Bryan) and more with Hunter.  I would never bet money on this because Hunter is wiser in his old age, but he was a well known nut-cutter back in the day.  And he's positioned himself as a strong pseudo babyface in this program already.  If they go into WM with Roman being boo'ed out of the building and Hunter cheered at a massive level, dont be surprised if there is lip service to the idea going in a different direction.

And Plan Z might be if AJ Styles gets the Bryan reaction.  I dont think he will (he wont be booked into the same position) but he's probably the one guy that has that Daniel Bryan-like emotional resonance with the crowd (at least until Samy Zayn really hits).

In other news:

Nakamura will debut at NXT Takeover in Dallas before WrestleMania, versus Zayn.  The match surprises me a bit because Nak will be a huge face to the NXT crowd initially but this ensures a tremendous match.  Nak will "learn" the WWE way in NXT for a little while which is the right idea for him.

Apparently Joe is slated for the main roster after WM which is a huge surprise.  Dont be shocked if he wins the NXT title at Takeover Dallas either.  This plan for Joe, which seems to be a change, makes me wonder if they dont already have a huge plan for the RAW after Mania doing a Bullet Club type deal with Styles, Joe...not sure who else.  Balor will stay in NXT but maybe he does both for a bit.  Or Joe attacks AJ and they feud.  Keep in mind, Anderson and Gallows will be available by then too...

Jeff Hardy re-upped with TNA which is a bit of a surprise as he openly talked about going back to WWE.  Matt will surely sign with TNA as well.

The Hardys were at the top of their games a decade ago feuding with Edge & Christian. But age, alcohol, drug use & an abusive lifestyle have taken their oll on both of them. Matt has put on a lot of weight the last few years & just can't do the high flying things he did before. They seem to be just hanging on...

27 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

The Hardys were at the top of their games a decade ago feuding with Edge & Christian. But age, alcohol, drug use & an abusive lifestyle have taken their oll on both of them. Matt has put on a lot of weight the last few years & just can't do the high flying things he did before. They seem to be just hanging on...

Matt Hardy is 41.  He's doing (and looking) alright for his age and the style he's worked.

Jeff Hardy was a legitimately huge singles star for WWE just a few years ago (2008/2009).  I imagine WWE would have interest in Jeff as a singles or both as a novelty tag team (Dudley's).  However, if they returned as a novelty tag team, I would bet Jeff ends up so over he'd be split off and pushed.  Always a risk given their pasts.  But Jeff was a really, really huge as a star.

I always wondered it if was a push or just the wrestler themselves going above and beyond with their character as much as they could. Jeff Hardy imo is like Edge, the whole Enigma/ glow in the dark face paint (rated R super star and a lot more flashier for edge).  Meanwhile Matt Hardy and Christian, while they tried little things like the matt v.2.1 or whatever it was,  and christian with the peeps thing seems like they really stalled as characters and developement.  

7 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I always wondered it if was a push or just the wrestler themselves going above and beyond with their character as much as they could. Jeff Hardy imo is like Edge, the whole Enigma/ glow in the dark face paint (rated R super star and a lot more flashier for edge).  Meanwhile Matt Hardy and Christian, while they tried little things like the matt v.2.1 or whatever it was,  and christian with the peeps thing seems like they really stalled as characters and developement.  

Jeff Hardy is really him.  Poetry, music, painting etc.  All him.  Edge, not really.  By all accounts a super nice guy who felt terribly uncomfortable doing the Rated R Superstar gimmick with Lita.  But he was a natural.  Had he never cheated on his wife with Matt's girlfriend, who knows where his career might have gone, but surely not multiple time world champion.  I met Edge and Christian.  They were both quiet at the time, Edge a little more out going.

Christian was sort of off-putting when I met him and I've heard he's less personable.  But very witty.  When he went singles, he could have faded away but he became super entertaining.  He went to TNA because WWE made it very clear that no matter how over he was (and he was very over), they didnt see him as a top guy.

When Christian came back to WWE, he was meant to be the one that turned on Jeff Hardy but the story was out so they changed it to Matt...unfortunately.  Fans never bought Matt vs Jeff.  Also, go back and watch that awesome Jericho/Christian/Trish angle that started as a little throw-away low card backstage comedy thing and ended up as a great angle at WrestleMania when Trish and Christian both turned.  That was all Jericho (I imagine Christian and Trish contributed).

14 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

My mom sez im cool so I already knew that.  After watching the 2002 rumble, the DOA faction lead by crush got me thinking what ever happened to smash and ax of demolition? Legion of doom really over shadowed tho guys

Smash became Repo Man. Then went to WCW as Blacktop Bully.  He was fired from WCW for breaking the no blood policy.  Later returned to WCW as an evil golfer.  He's done a couple of WWE appearances as Repo Man (gimmick battle royale etc).

Ax (Bill Eadie) was famous before Demolition as Masked Superstar.  He sued WWE at some point over the Demolition name, claiming he came up with it.  I assume he won since he's used Demolition all over the world since (and since they havent been back to WWE even though they are fan favorites).  He's appeared as Ax and used the Demolition name with other partners as well as occasionally Smash in Japan and various independants.

Near as I can tell, they last worked together in 2012 but I seem to recall them working Winnipeg more recently than that.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit to add, I'd love for them to get a HOF induction soon.  Tremendous theme music and had a great run.  When they debuted (Barry Darsow was the second SMASH), they were Road Warrior rip offs but really came into their own and were in many ways, better than the LOD.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

13 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

My mom sez im cool so I already knew that.  After watching the 2002 rumble, the DOA faction lead by crush got me thinking what ever happened to smash and ax of demolition? Legion of doom really over shadowed tho guys

No, no she doesn't.

Axe was already pretty old by the time Demolition came around (I think this is why they eventually brought in Crush to reduce his workload).  

I was afna of both teams, but I always felt Demolition was a pretty blatant ripoff of the Road Warriors (spikes, face paint, etc) anyway so I have no problem with them being overshadowed.

19 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I saw a picture that had Demolition and LOD with wrestlemania 7 under it, did they feud at some point cuz id like to find a vid to watch that 

Yes they did feud.  When WWE signed the Road Warriors.  it wasnt as awesome as you might expect.  To prepare, they abruptly turned Demolition heel.  At the same time, they pulled back on a Bret Hart singles push and reformed the Hart Foundation, having the Harts win the tag titles from Demolition (Smash & Crush) at SummerSlam 90.  LOD helped Harts win.

As part of the Demolition heel turn, they added Crush.  There was speculation hat Axe had a heart condition, which he denies, but he was definitely being phased out as Demolition was almost always Smash and Crush.

There was a pretty big Saturday Night's Main Event that had LOD and Ultimate Warrior vs Axe, Smash, Crush in a six man.  LOD won all the matches and ended the feud pretty quickly.  if I recall correctly, WrestleMania 7 might have been Demolitions final appearance (or final big appearance) for WWE, losing to a Japanese team.

The Powers of Pain were another Road Warriors rip off at the time that ended up doing decent for themselves.

They had a brief feud (if you can even call it that) in 1990 but it wasn't nearly as good as it should /could have been.

LOD cost Demolition the belts agains the Hart Foundation at Summerslam 1990 to start things off.  LOD (with the Warrior) beat them in a 6 man tag on Saturday Night's Main Event leading into Survivor Series.  There was an 8 man tag at that event (LOD, Warrior & Texas Tornado vs Demolition & Mr Perfect) that was a waste.  Warrior took out Ax early, then LOD, Smash & Crush all got DQ'd, leaving Perfect against the Tornado & Warrior.  LOD & Demolition never got in the ring together again.

That was a decent SummerSlam.  Im not sure why but I really liked it.  Maybe it wont hold up.  I dont recall any of the matches being awesome but all were good work and angles.

You had the Best of Three, Hart Foundation vs Demolition that I remember being really good.  Kerry Von Erich vs Mr Perfect which was good.  Power & Glory which was an awesome team, though short lived, dominated the Rockers.  Hogan vs Earthquake.  Warrior vs Rude in a case (Rude was awesome at the time).  Check it out!