Sure, why not. Whatever. WWE Network and Wrestlemania

Goalie

So at my house, we got MTS and i was browsing the channels and came to channel 1528 and low and behold, wwe network free preview. Pretty cool stuff, went to parents house, they have shaw and switched it to 225 and low and behold, wwe network but no free preview. My dad told me it's because Shaw are A holes but yeah.. Anyone gonna get this channel? I'm thinking about it, 11.99 a month, lots of footage, archived stuff, get to watch NXT, lots of history on that channel it seems, plus pay per views are included in that 11.99 a month. Say what you will but if a fan of wrestling, 11.99 for all that stuff plus a pay per view which goes for like 50 or more bucks on ppv, Not a bad deal is it? 

And Wrestlemania is coming up this Sunday too, not sure how many wrestling fans there are here but anyone gonna check it out? I haven't watched as religiously as i have in the past but do enjoy me the big 4, gonna say 3 cuz survivor series has sucked recently but do enjoy watching the big 3 PPV's (rumble,mania,summerslam)

and hell, it's only gonna cost 11.99 this time i think. Instead of the 50 bucks, Gotta make that decision to order the network soon i think, unless the free preview on MTS is all this month. 

Still seems a little pricey to me. I'm like you in that I generally only watch the big PPVs. But I also usually share the costs of those with other people. If that is not an option for you then 11.99 is not so bad. I would probably also watch the other PPVs if I had the WWE network so as long as you watch those you are getting your money's worth. I'd also like to see more NXT so that would be a bonus. If it was like 5.99, I would be all over it.

I run a local promotion so I'm a fan!

The Canadian Network is a good news/bad news story. Rogers customers get the terrestrial channel plus Over The Top access to the U.S. archives. In Manitoba we only get the channel so the only archival content we get is what's playing on the channel. It's actually better than I thought though.

In the US they have to watch the live programming OTT so they risk streaming and buffering issues. We have no such problems.

The Canadian Network is a good news/bad news story. Rogers customers get the terrestrial channel plus Over The Top access to the U.S. archives. In Manitoba we only get the channel so the only archival content we get is what's playing on the channel. It's actually better than I thought though.

In the US they have to watch the live programming OTT so they risk streaming and buffering issues. We have no such problems.

Which promotion? Might as well give it a plug while we're on the subject! I've been meaning to get out to some local shows but I've had other stuff going on every time there's a show I want to see.

Haven't followed the WWF/E for a while now. Got a little tired of the product they were putting out shortly after the Invasion angle and haven't really been able to get back into it. Recently I've just been reliving the late 90's through torrents and whatnot. That being said, I try to watch Wrestlemania and maybe the Rumble each year just to keep tabs on what's going on.

Which promotion? Might as well give it a plug while we're on the subject! I've been meaning to get out to some local shows but I've had other stuff going on every time there's a show I want to see.

Haven't followed the WWF/E for a while now. Got a little tired of the product they were putting out shortly after the Invasion angle and haven't really been able to get back into it. Recently I've just been reliving the late 90's through torrents and whatnot. That being said, I try to watch Wrestlemania and maybe the Rumble each year just to keep tabs on what's going on.

I run Premier Championship Wrestling, Kenny Omega's home promotion.  Next show is Saturday April 18th at Doubles.  Anyone from the board that wants to give it a shot, let me know and Ill be happy to provide comps. Kenny wont be in town for the 18th but it will be a fun show anyway.

Im like you - I watch Rumble and WrestleMania and thats about it.

What bugs me is Americans pay $9.99 & we pay $11.99.I know it's only a toonie but we're always getting shafted. Just for that alone I refuse to buy it. 

Given the exchange rate, it's not bad.  But since we get less than half what the Americans do, it's not really a "fair" price.  But since I have routinely paid $60+ for WM in the past, and have already watched several shows since last week, it's been money well spent thus far.

Also, anything that saves me from having to go to Pony Corral to watch is a huge bonus.  That place drives me crazy.

So at my house, we got MTS and i was browsing the channels and came to channel 1528 and low and behold, wwe network free preview. Pretty cool stuff, went to parents house, they have shaw and switched it to 225 and low and behold, wwe network but no free preview.

My box just says Not Authorized. Maybe they don't have a signal yet and just have a placeholder up. Other channels that I don't get say Subscription Service.

We pay the same for Netflix as the US.  We luck out.  Although the US version has significantly more content.

Also keep in mind that for WWE Network in Canada, it is not an Over The Top service offered by WWE and they do not get your $11.99.  They licensed the Canadian Network rights to Rogers for a fee (said to be very significant and was "too good to pass up").

As mentioned in another thread.. You may be able to get this streamed using a kodi box. I will check it out tonight if I get a chance...

While I have not done so, my understanding is it is very easy to stream the US version.  When you sign up, you need to use any random US address and a router but once signed up, you never need the router again (or so I have been told).

The benefit to the Canadian version is the PPV's on terrestrial channel so you have no worries about streaming.buffering issues when a million+ people all try to watch WrestleMania.  Our content is delivered from the source via satellite.

Do these local wrestling shows actually make the promoters money?  I've been under the impression most of these shows lose money when you factor in all the comps for what is usually a small crowd at these events.  And I would imagine the gate is the most important revenue source by far.  What other revenue sources are there that compare to  that?

Do these local wrestling shows actually make the promoters money?  I've been under the impression most of these shows lose money when you factor in all the comps for what is usually a small crowd at these events.  And I would imagine the gate is the most important revenue source by far.  What other revenue sources are there that compare to  that?

I would imagine a cut of the bar sales would do it.  A place like Doubles isn't packing people in on a regular basis so anything that brings people in the door (even if they don't pay to get in) is a win for them.  The price of a ticket compared to a few hours of drinking/eating is pretty small I would think.

I would imagine a cut of the bar sales would do it.  A place like Doubles isn't packing people in on a regular basis so anything that brings people in the door (even if they don't pay to get in) is a win for them.  The price of a ticket compared to a few hours of drinking/eating is pretty small I would think.

I guess.  You have to pay for the wrestlers, their accomodations, their travel, renting ring equipment, paying someone to set everything up, security.  I would think bringing in one "big name" to do a show would cost a thousand alone.

No one gets into promoting local wrestling to make money. If you make money, great. Winnipeg is a tough place because we're an "island" with no other strong markets nearby. That's why WWE rarely ever comes here. Other areas with more resources can certainly generate money but its a very few "indy" promotions that are good money-makers.

I've made money. I've lost money. I have a great team of guys and we win together and lose together. For example, our last show was a huge success and we had 300 people at the show. Everyone got paid more and I got to go home with money in my pocket.

Our first show in 2002 was at the IGAC at U of M. 1700+ fans. Eddie Guerrero, Honky Tonk Man, Brutus Beefcake and our crew. Made lots of money. Our next "big show" was a few months later and was a devastating loss even though we drew 1200 fans at Shaw Park. But the venue was an albatross around our necks and we almost ended up in court.

Our main regular venue from 2002-2008 was the LID Nightclub where the owner was a close friend so we'd our regular weekly/monthly shows and aproximately quarterly we'd bring in WWE/TNA talent. I had a great deal with the venue because of my relationship with the owner.

Doubles is a good venue. We have a good relationship.

Another revenue stream is sponsorship. It used to be easier in Winnipeg but the wrestling business is highly competitive and can be somewhat nasty. And traditionally, not overly successful. Many promotions start because everyone thinks they know better...and then go out of business and the vast majority of people never even hear of them. We're the longest running promotion in the province (14+ years) and the only one currently running a regular reputable Winnipeg show. One of our competitors does tours every couple of months to small towns where they have managed to secure strong local sponsorship. I've never been a big fan of tours personally just because I dont want to go on the road.

We've had shows where we sell a "guarantee". Ie. the venue pays X amount of dollars and then keeps all revenue (ticket sales etc). We've had deals where we get a small guarantee and the gate revenue. But yes, the main revenue is ticket sales. We've always been pretty decent with ticket sales. Wrestling is mostly cyclical in nature so we've had ups and down. The politics of wrestling impact you such as a competitor starting up and raiding your talent.

For a time, there wasnt a lot of good young wrestlers being produced locally. We experienced an increase in young talent with several guys coming from Lance Storm's academy in Calgary. Having Kenny Omega on our roster helps with giving incentives to guys to want to be here. And I think our shows are fun and entertaining from a creative perspective so the boys enjoy taking part.

I could go on for days lol. Lots of stories. Lots of stories about the big names.

We've brought in:

Eddie Guerrero (Last North American show before re-signing with WWE)

Honky Tonk Man (several times)

Brutus Beefcake

Jim Neidhart

Chris Sabin

Petey Williams

Amazing Red

Steve Corino (many times)

Christopher Daniels

Ultimo Dragon

Brian Christopher

Black Pearl

Davey Richards

El Generico (Sammy Zayn in WWE)

Kevin Steen (Kevin Owens in WWE)

Samoa Joe (3 times)

AJ Styles

Probably a few im forgetting...

Whoops forgot the Road Warriors and Buff Bagwell.

Do these local wrestling shows actually make the promoters money? I've been under the impression most of these shows lose money when you factor in all the comps for what is usually a small crowd at these events. And I would imagine the gate is the most important revenue source by far. What other revenue sources are there that compare to that?

I would imagine a cut of the bar sales would do it. A place like Doubles isn't packing people in on a regular basis so anything that brings people in the door (even if they don't pay to get in) is a win for them. The price of a ticket compared to a few hours of drinking/eating is pretty small I would think.

I guess. You have to pay for the wrestlers, their accomodations, their travel, renting ring equipment, paying someone to set everything up, security. I would think bringing in one "big name" to do a show would cost a thousand alone.

Cost of one name:

airfare

hotel

his pay for the night (anywhere from a few hundred to several thousand).

When Kurt Angle left WWE, I was the first promotion that asked to book him. I was told $5000. i said done. The next day, the booking agent (TNA) emailed me to say sorry, it's now $10.000 and no video can be taken of the event (which is where promotions can make money, DVD sales). $5000 and DVD sales, I would have done but not $10 000 and no DVD.

Makes me wonder how your old partner was able to bring in a dozen names to his shows on chevrier all with maybe 200 in the crowd.

I went to at least 5 shows within a year and each show had some big names.

An investor willing to lose money in the short term to make money in the long term. Long term never happened. I'm cool with those guys personally but disagree strongly with their business plan. Once you get down to the 5th name let alone the 10th on a single show you're not selling more tickets.

They also didn't appeal to the hardcore local fans. There was one weekend when we both had shows. Them with the names and the hype and U.S. with not a penny of advertising and using our local crew at Dylan's and we drew more.

Do these local wrestling shows actually make the promoters money? I've been under the impression most of these shows lose money when you factor in all the comps for what is usually a small crowd at these events. And I would imagine the gate is the most important revenue source by far. What other revenue sources are there that compare to that?

I would imagine a cut of the bar sales would do it. A place like Doubles isn't packing people in on a regular basis so anything that brings people in the door (even if they don't pay to get in) is a win for them. The price of a ticket compared to a few hours of drinking/eating is pretty small I would think.

I guess. You have to pay for the wrestlers, their accomodations, their travel, renting ring equipment, paying someone to set everything up, security. I would think bringing in one "big name" to do a show would cost a thousand alone.
Cost of one name:

airfare

hotel

his pay for the night (anywhere from a few hundred to several thousand).

When Kurt Angle left WWE, I was the first promotion that asked to book him. I was told $5000. i said done. The next day, the booking agent (TNA) emailed me to say sorry, it's now $10.000 and no video can be taken of the event (which is where promotions can make money, DVD sales). $5000 and DVD sales, I would have done but not $10 000 and no DVD.

Ok.  Thanks for that info.  Forgot about the sponsorships.

Was it some other promotion that had Luger, Steiner/s and a few others at U of M a few years ago?