Sure, why not. Whatever. WWE Network and Wrestlemania

Goalie

Iron Mike Sharpe. Dead at 64

Michael "Mike" Sharpe (born October 28, 1951 - January 17, 2016) better known as "Iron" Mike Sharpe, passed away over the weekend at his apartment in Hamilton, ONT, at the age of 64.

Billed as "Canada's greatest athlete," Sharpe was a perrenial job guy in the 80's and 90's for WWF. He had his last televised match on June 6, 1995 losing in a tag team match to The Smoking Guns. After retiring from the ring, Sharpe made his living as a professional wrestling trainer, at his own school, Mike Sharpe's School of Pro-Wrestling. 

44 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Iron Mike Sharpe. Dead at 64

Michael "Mike" Sharpe (born October 28, 1951 - January 17, 2016) better known as "Iron" Mike Sharpe, passed away over the weekend at his apartment in Hamilton, ONT, at the age of 64.

Billed as "Canada's greatest athlete," Sharpe was a perrenial job guy in the 80's and 90's for WWF. He had his last televised match on June 6, 1995 losing in a tag team match to The Smoking Guns. After retiring from the ring, Sharpe made his living as a professional wrestling trainer, at his own school, Mike Sharpe's School of Pro-Wrestling. 

I remember him well from televised Saturday morning WWE Wrestling shows. I don't think he ever won a match. Back then, WWE television was all about the top wrestlers beating or squashing their opponents with jobbers like Iron Mike Sharpe. . 

Edited by iso_55

I never understood the squash matches....  it made for some real boring tv.

Only Sharpe and Horowitz ever actually were allowed to perform a few moves of offense... otherwise it was fat local guys who pretty much were beaten to a pulp with zero challenge.  

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I never understood the squash matches....  it made for some real boring tv.

Only Sharpe and Horowitz ever actually were allowed to perform a few moves of offense... otherwise it was fat local guys who pretty much were beaten to a pulp with zero challenge.  

The business was different back then. Money was made at the live events (house shows) . Later it was house shows and PPV. TV was solely to promote those and to get people to pay to see them. So if you wanted to see a marquee match or a feud you had to pay for it

traditionally, promotions provided their TV shows to local stations (and later cable) for free.  They'd have the same show but customize commentary or more commoy create customized "interviews" where the stars plugged their match in every upcoming town. 

One way WWE attacked their territorial rivals was to pay the stations to air their TV, thus freezing the other promotions out. 

It wasn't until the attitude era that TV rights fees became a big thing and changed the wrestling business.  In fact, for most of WCW's existence they provided TV to TBS for free. When eric Bischoff took over he convinced Turner that they should be paying for it as if they were a regular content provider. 

6 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Big Show now a good guy. Heels don't pose with fans smiling for selfies. Back & forth. So, he went face to face with Braun Stroman a week ago & then... nothing??

Isnt it amazing?  With 50 writers they cant keep track of who's a face and who's a heel.  I think its more about rehabilitating Show for the 127th time heading into the Rumble.  The fans dont care.  All it does is bring down whomever he's working with.  Social Outcasts suck to be sure but you just put them together and they are being squashed by Big Show.  They dont even have a chance.

Same thing with Paige.  The heat was on her when Nattie got hurt, so they have Nattie bring her back?  Idiocy. 

How about Vince not being able to open the lottery balls?  The "Authority" might be the single most damaging aspect to wrestling today.  From the big things like their segments/promos often dying slow deaths and no one having the guts to tell them, to the little things like Steph wearing six inch heels to make sure she's taller than half the roster.

Jericho has the stroke to script his own promos and managed to get the line "Sort of like I know what Im doing" in a sarcastic way to Steph which was nice.  And ofcourse she does her best to leave the segment with Jericho's balls in her purse.

Jericho and Heyman were both characteristically poor in their segment later.  Thats what happens when two smart guys try to make sense of crap.  And what a winner of a segment heading into the Royal Rumble.  The top babyface (Brock) and WWE's heir apparent (Roman) both left laying by a mid card act that has been treading water for months. 

WWE Hall-of-Famer, longtime broadcaster, and podcast host Jim Ross confirmed Tuesday with Fox Sports that he will be returning to the broadcast booth for the newest NJPW on AXS TV season, starting on Friday, March 4th. 

Ross replaces Mauro Ranallo, who recently started with WWE and is now the lead voice of Smackdown. Color commentator, past NJPW competitor, and UFC heavyweight Josh Barnett will remain on the team.

Ross told Fox that he will head to Los Angeles between 8-10 times a year to do his play-by-play for two-day sessions where they will record six shows at a time, beginning with action from Wrestling Dontaku 2015. The duo will also call matches from the 2015 New Japan Cup, Invasion Attack, HINOKUNI, Best of the Super Juniors 22, Dominion 7.5, G1 Climax 25 and more.

This isn't Ross' first time calling NJPW action as he and Matt Striker were the American announce team for Wrestle Kingdom 9 in 2015.

***This will probably make WWE interested in bringing Ross back...

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

weird I thought both Ross and Striker were still on the WWE payroll.  ross in a somewhat behind the scenes role now and striker still a commentator fo... wait i must of misread that, he was commentating for Lucha Underground

Yeah they've both been gone for a long time.  Jim Ross has cooperated with WWE from time to time.  He's either the most patient man in wrestling history or a glutton for punishment as WWE has been very cruel and unfair to him over the years and he always went back.  Greatest play by play announcer of all time.

Ratings news for the "go home" (episode before a PPV) edition of RAW:

Due to a disastrous third hour, Raw did not have much of a bounce back after the end of football competition.

Monday night's show did 3.48 million viewers, only up 160,000 viewers from last week's show that went up against the national championship college football game.

On this night was clear what did the show in was the show itself, with major pattern of declines from start to finish, including a third hour that did 3.12 million viewers, a number that would have been considered poor even going against a huge NFL game.

The show was promoted around building to a Highlight Reel segment where Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns would meet face-to face. No major matches were plugged for hour three.

The three hours were:

8 p.m. 3.78 million viewers
9 p.m. 3.59 million viewers
10 p.m. 3.12 million viewers

***What dont they get about Roman not being "over"?  And then to sacrifice Brock (who, by the way, doesnt move ratings anymore either)...mind boggling.

Anyone want to make some Royal Rumble predictions?  I said Hunter wins the title quite awhile back, almost as a joke but it seems like the best idea now.

Triple H looks most likely.  Can't see them putting Reigns over so hard that he goes 1-30, that's a little much.

Dark horse candidate for me is Bray Wyatt.  They're building up to something there and I'm hoping it's not the rumored Braun Strowman vs Lesnar at WM32...

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If they put the title on Bray they are making a big mistake. 

Really?  I wouldn't mind it, I like his character and I think there is still lots of potential for the Wyatt family in general.  If not HHH, Lesnar, or Reigns, I don't know who else is even a remote possibility.  And I don't want to see it on HHH or Reigns to be honest.

Could be a mistake, unless they make bray/wyatts relevant again. Hes got the ppl in front of him to keep the strap safe. Im not sure when rollins comes back but if its in time for WM a fatal 4 way with bray, roman, brock and seth could happen with each I believe having a sort of rematch not yet used losing the title at some point. maybe strowman costs lesnar his win feud for next ppv, harper n rowan cost reigns setting up reigns and ambrose vs the 2 of them. seth wins, feuds with bray

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Really?  I wouldn't mind it, I like his character and I think there is still lots of potential for the Wyatt family in general.  If not HHH, Lesnar, or Reigns, I don't know who else is even a remote possibility.  And I don't want to see it on HHH or Reigns to be honest.

They've spent far too much time diminishing the Wyatts.  What happened on RAW didnt get them over, it just brought Roman and Brock down.  But they are so weak on heels and so weak as far as potential winners for the Rumble, they needed to heat someone up.  If they had thought of it before four days ago, they could have done a more organic job of heating them up.  I definitely dont see Wyatt main eventing WrestleMania.

The idea of them versus the Bullet Club isnt a bad idea as a first feud for the BC but I dont trust Vince to look at the BC and look at the Wyatts and NOT choose the "big" guys to go over.  Also, AJ Styles was meant to debut at the Rumble as a surprise.  Cats out of the bag now but I would assume he will still be in the rumble and remain on the RAW roster.  But the other three are likely headed to NXT first.

Austin Aries is rumored to be NXT-bound as well.

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Sounds like NXT isnt as in dire need of a shot of life, if the BC comes to raw if they dont feud with the wyatts, theres still more potential to feud in gang like #s. Im looking at BC vs the league of nations if they havent broken up. Aj styles vs ADR could have some potential

To be honest, Im somewhat surprised of the speculation of Styles going right to the main roster.  WWE likes everyone to go through "developmental" to just learn the WWE way of wrestling but also their corporate culture.  Remember, two years ago, they wouldnt even offer Styles a decent "developmental" deal and now that he's pushing 40, they've seen the error of their ways.

NXT is increasing touring a lot and needs good guys.  NXT starts becoming a diminishing asset if everyone who is ready to be called up gets called up.  The best workers in NXT arent "WWE-guys", they are guy who are great workers.  Balor being one.  He should be on RAW right now.  On the other hand, he'd probably be buried.

Look at Tyler Breeze.  Now, he's no Finn Balor or AJ Styles or Nakamura.  But he's good and hes essentially a homegrown WWE guy who is young, talented and looks good.  He's exactly the type of guy that should be pushed not only because he deserves it but because of the message it would send to others going through developmental.  But they've buried him.  Might as well send him back to NXT.

And while it's true guys like Balor put over NXT as the place they want to be and Im sure they love the atmosphere, they ALL want to be on RAW to make money.