Sure, why not. Whatever. WWE Network and Wrestlemania

Goalie

It's not that people don't appreciate cena. He's just booked so poorly.  It's not him. It's what he represents tjay fans are rejecting. 

He's been a baby face since 2004. Even hogan was moved out of the mix after six years.  Austin and Rock certainly weren't on top for 12 years. 

As for Joe Hennig he was developed poorly. He got into the game late, deciding to try wrestling after his father died.  In developmental he was told to be a Mr Perfect clones. Same moves. Same personal. Then he gets called up and told not to do any Mr Perfect stuff. And they saddled him with the McGillicutty name. They  Screwed him. 

I remember him using the "Better Than Perfect" gimmick while in WWE so he didn't totally drop all the Mr Perfect stuff until later.

And I believe it is Social Outcast, not Social Injustice, not that it really matters.  I don't mind Heath Slater, he is at least decent.  It does seem weird to just throw a bunch of nobodies together but I guess the roster is hurting right now.  Kinda feel for Ziggler but I would agree that he needs a bit of a revamp.  Not sure there's anyone else who has fallen quite as far as he has.  He's great in the ring but I've never really liked him on the mic.

Im only about an hour in to raw and its atrocious. 

Jericho's schtick is awful

is there no man that won't cower at the feet of Steph?  Good God. And the WWE title has never been at stake in the Royal Rumble?  Tell that to Ric Flair. 

Sting in the HOF. Well I guess he's retired. What a legacy. Goes to wwe and loses his only two PPV matches. Thanks E! 

Kalisto is good. 

Segments with half the roster on the stage are never good. When you group low card and mid card guys with the supposed stars like that all you do is tell the audience that no one matters, that they're all geeks. And the real stars are Vince and Steph. 

Brock is gigantic. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

looks like they are really pushing title changes on non ppv events lately, guess they know their ratings stink too (jericho mentioned it outright last week)

all in all wasnt the worst raw ive seen i liked the del rio/kalisto match, and yeah brock is huge, i guess that was a sneak peek of a reigns/lesnar finals in the RR

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Never even tuned in Raw tonight. Watched the National Championship game instead. Went to Pro Wrestling Torch website who always give a description of what went on Raw & Smackdown, read how crappy Raw was tonight, I never bothered to watch the replay after the football game.

This is happening more & more with me. Finding better things to do than watch Raw on Monday Nights. It's this Authority thing that's been allowed to go on now for almost three bloody years. It grew tiresome & predictable a couple of years ago & allowed to continue. And increasingly unwatchable. 

Edited by iso_55

Shinsuke Nakamura will not be dropping the IC title to Kenny Omega after all.

New Japan announced tonight that they are stripping Nakamura of the championship, and that Omega will face a mystery man in the main event of the New Beginnings in Niigata on February 14th to fill the vacancy.

Nakamura will continue to appear on New Japan shows for the rest of the month, with his final match on the January 30th show at Korakuen Hall.  That show will have an All-Star main event with Hiroshi Tanahashi & Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Nakamura & Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii.  New Japan starts back on Sunday with the Fantastica Mania tour.

Nakamura becomes the second major champion of a foreign promotion who has headed to WWE without dropping the title on the way out, following Alberto Del Rio, the AAA champion, not doing so in October.

There will be, and should be, a lot of heat on WWE for this if they are preventing a title drop.  Nak is making appearances so he could drop the title unless he is refusing.  The only other possibility is New Japan wanting the title match to be a big part of their Feb 14th show and Nak wont be there.  But there was heat on WWE for Del Rio not dropping a title.

Im sure WWE's position is that these promotions should have guys on better contracts.  But professionally its a really sleazy thing to do, if WWE is influencing guys not to drop titles.  In fact, not only should they not influence guys to leave without dropping, they should actively encourage guys to do so. 

If Im these other promotions, I'd start adding items to the contract to specifically hinder WWE.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Saw Kenny Omega at my gym around Christmas time ... maybe just before New Years? Either way ... was surprised at the size of the guy.

Huge fan of his work though.

He was home for Christmas with a few bookings in the US around that time.  He's in tremendous shape, freaky fitness. 

I've been talking with him since last week trying to work out when his schedule and our schedule work out for a return.  He was initially going to be back for most of March but he is now committed to ROH due to the relationship with New Japan.  But we're hoping to run a show with him sometime that month.  You should come check it out!  I dont know how many more opportunities local fans will get to see him!

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

BTW TUP... Flair never defended the title in the Rumble. He won it. It was vacant. Sometimes your WWE agenda shows. 

What WWE agenda?

At the beginning of RAW, they were careful to refer to this year as Roman "defending" the title in the Rumble for the first time.  However, she later said it was the first time the title was up for stakes in the Rumble.  Which is not true.  Presumably a mis-stated line by Steph.  But she should not be mis-stating lines like that.  And if they're going to be so careful about how they word it, it demonstrates their reluctance to embrace their own past.  They should have prepared a video package about Flair's rumble victory (especially since he was on the show...they could have done a brief backstage face to face) to imply how how rare this is and how Flair went in #3 and won, thus showing how difficult but not impossible it is.

4 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Lol yeah I know, interestingly it seems like the wwe has had such weak storylines for so long, I find myself less entertained by the current stories, and watch mainly for the moves, odd comedic moments and occasional screw up. Im sure im not alone in this

Definitely there is a segment of fans watching for the work now.  Those fans who are excited about AJ and Nak coming in, that love NXT etc.  Or you have fans that dont care so much about the matches and just enjoy the angles.  I might be in that category.  I generally FF through RAW and just watch the angles or a match I might think is interesting or potentially a great match.  I watch more for the "why" and "how" they do things from a production/creative stand point.  Im not the target audience though because Im probably seeing things a bit different than most having been in the business for nearly 15 years.

I actually think they try too hard to have long matches on RAW.  RAW should be angles and shorter matches.  There should always be someone having squash matches to get over.  Someone who has done the squash matches and is now having 6 minute matches with decent, but not top guys (used to call these guys Jobber To The Stars, think Barry Borrowitz).  Even "good" matches can be 8-10 minutes long. 

Save the epic matches for the PPV's where there is more heat and interest and fans are more likely to be invested in longer matches. 

TV doesnt have to be Russo-era "throw everything at the wall" crash TV style.  But it doesnt have to be a 3 hour snooze fest either.  WWE is stuck in a formula.  On local comparison, the last couple of shows I booked, I sent the runsheet to a couple of trusted lieutenants and asked them for feedback on "punching" the show up, because I didnt want to seem like I was formulaic.  WWE needs someone taking what they have and jazzing it up.  They need an Tarrantino-style uncredited rewrite of their scripts!

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

And just like that, the one good thing to come from RAW is ancient history as Alberto Del Rio defeated Kalisto on Smackdown to regain the US TITLE.

Just crap booking, this 50/50 booking crap is ruining WWE. 

I had an argument just this week with one of my own guys about "losing".  Losing is very important within the psychology of a wrestler.  It adds vulnerability and depth.  Its why winning streaks dont generally work, they are difficult to book from.  So Ill reserve judgement until we see the next chapter, if there is one.  if anything, this might create a scenario where they have a rematch at RR with more heat.

Although I suspect it is to create an "anything can happen" situation on TV especially now that they care about Smackdown again.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Wasnt it del rio (could easily be mistaken) that had a grudge against "masked" wrestlers and intent on unmasking them (for its lucha libre significance)? Might have been a short lived thing early in his time with wwe vs rey mysterio, but id be interested in a rehash with kalisto

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

At least Del Rio can wrestle. So defeating Kalisto doesn't bother me. It's on the heavyweight side where we get Sheamus & the McMahons (Authority) thrown at us every week. Fans say Roman Reigns isn't ready to be champ but what's Sheamus excuse? He's probably been in the business at least a decade & his finishing move is a kick to the head? C'mon... Even Goldberg had 2 finishing moves.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I had an argument just this week with one of my own guys about "losing".  Losing is very important within the psychology of a wrestler.  It adds vulnerability and depth.  Its why winning streaks dont generally work, they are difficult to book from.  So Ill reserve judgement until we see the next chapter, if there is one.  if anything, this might create a scenario where they have a rematch at RR with more heat.

Although I suspect it is to create an "anything can happen" situation on TV especially now that they care about Smackdown again.

Yes, my first reaction was that it sets up a US Title match at Royal Rumble between the two of them, where Kalisto will likely win it back.  That match couldn't happen if Kalisto hadn't won the title from Del Rio because it would look silly.  Now Kalisto has some legitimacy and ADR has built even more real heat as a heel, they can have him refuse to fight Kalisto until RR, and give Kalisto a chance to cut some good promos in the lead up.  No, for all the mistakes WWE makes, I don't mind how they are handling this feud.

Could see a card of Owens vs Ambrose for the IC, Kalisto vs ADR for the US, and Charlotte vs Becky for the Women's, plus obviously the Rumble itself.  Setting up a good PPV!  Now let's just hope Lesnar wins the Rumble!

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Watching Smackdown and loving the commentary.  Mauro Ranallo is great and I believe we are finally seeing the return of Heel Jerry Lawler?!?!  I sure hope so.  Best heel commentator of all time!  Was so sick of nice guy Uncle Jerry.

Jesse Ventura might have something to say about that!