Bombers draft & FA camp prep

gbill2004

I still think you draft from the OL out. We look to be better on the line but we're paper thin. Expect those starters to miss some time due to injuries. We need to keep developing offensive linemen. That is our first priority. I just wish it was like it was back inn the 70's & 80's where the team could go out & sign players like Buddy Brown & Butch Norman for an incredible upgrade & hole fixer. More Canadians started in those days as well. There were starting Canadian outside linebackers, safeties, corners, split ends or flankers, slotbacks as well as D & OL. 

I still think you draft from the OL out. We look to be better on the line but we're paper thin. Expect those starters to miss some time due to injuries. We need to keep developing offensive linemen. That is our first priority. I just wish it was like it was back inn the 70's & 80's where the team could go out & sign players like Buddy Brown & Butch Norman for an incredible upgrade & hole fixer. More Canadians started in those days as well. There were starting Canadian outside linebackers, safeties, corners, split ends or flankers, slotbacks as well as D & OL. 

Good point, if Bryant gets seriously injured I'm not sure this O-line will do much better than last years edition.  An upgrade at Center is great but it's not going to help them much out on the wings.

Good point, if Bryant gets seriously injured I'm not sure this O-line will do much better than last years edition.  An upgrade at Center is great but it's not going to help them much out on the wings.

if Bryant gets hurt who we drafted isn't going to make a lick of difference. 

Good point, if Bryant gets seriously injured I'm not sure this O-line will do much better than last years edition. An upgrade at Center is great but it's not going to help them much out on the wings.

Bombers are very high on Jace Daniels, who would fill in at LT if Bryant got injured. Devin Tyler is another option there as well. I'd say our OL depth this year is better than it was last year. I'd still like to find a way to keep Morley around, but I understand there are some cap issues with that.

if Bryant gets hurt who we drafted isn't going to make a lick of difference. 

True. Let's hope he doesn't. But he has missed time in the past. Give the younger guys a chance to develop instead of being thrown to the wolves. 

Good point, if Bryant gets seriously injured I'm not sure this O-line will do much better than last years edition. An upgrade at Center is great but it's not going to help them much out on the wings.

Bombers are very high on Jace Daniels, who would fill in at LT if Bryant got injured. Devin Tyler is another option there as well. I'd say our OL depth this year is better than it was last year. I'd still like to find a way to keep Morley around, but I understand there are some cap issues with that.

Jace Daniels just filling in? Devin Tyler?? We had the worst OL in the CFL last year. Our starters were for the most part useless & our backups even worse. So, if a few of the new guys go down hey... it's... no... big... deal. The B Team can fill in & we don't miss a beat. We're solid! Yeesh.

Jace Daniels just filling in? Devin Tyler?? We had the worst OL in the CFL last year. Our starters were for the most part useless & our backups even worse. So, if a few of the new guys go down hey... it's... no... big... deal. The B Team can fill in & we don't miss a beat. We're solid! Yeesh.
In the few games he played, Daniels looked better than January at LT. And Tyler is a serviceable CFL tackle, who looked better than Jarvis Jones, Cordaro Howard and the super ripped athletic guy (can't remember his name now). They might not be all-stars, but our depth is slowly improving.

This is basically just a classic example of painting every player with the same brush. Jace Daniels didn't take a lot of snaps, but when he was in there, he was great. Just because our OL sucked as a whole doesn't mean we didn't have some capable players.

Devin Tyler kinda sucks though.

In the few games he played, Daniels looked better than January at LT. And Tyler is a serviceable CFL tackle, who looked better than Jarvis Jones, Cordaro Howard and the super ripped athletic guy (can't remember his name now). They might not be all-stars, but our depth is slowly improving.

I agree with that but the comments seemed like losing any of our starters was no big deal when we know we've struggled on the OL for years. I just felt the comments were kind of dismissive. 

This is basically just a classic example of painting every player with the same brush. Jace Daniels didn't take a lot of snaps, but when he was in there, he was great. Just because our OL sucked as a whole doesn't mean we didn't have some capable players.

Devin Tyler kinda sucks though.

Kinda hard NOT to paint that unit with the same brush as we've sucked on the OL for so many years that the word suck has become the norm for this team. Daniels has looked good but he's also been beaten on plays as well. Jury's out on the kid still. He may develop into a good player given time but he's not there yet. Has a lot of potential. I think as a whole our starting unit is a lot better than last season. As good or better than a lot of teams thanks to off season acquisitions of Picard & Bryant as well as Neufeld being able to start. What scares me is when we lose a starter or two on that line. That's when we'll have problems. I think it's safe to say with an 18 game season there will be injuries & depth will be a huge concern on our offensive line. I'm all for continuing to draft & develop Canadian offensive linemen. Love to see Demski or Durant here but I believe the priority are the hoggies up front & should be for a few seasons yet to come

Its not unusual for an O-lineman to have a career approaching 10 years, but if a receiver plays half that, it is seen as a good career. So an O-lineman is a better investment.

Not saying you are wrong, but this is the first time I've heard this. Where are you getting this info from?

Its not unusual for an O-lineman to have a career approaching 10 years, but if a receiver plays half that, it is seen as a good career. So an O-lineman is a better investment.

Not saying you are wrong, but this is the first time I've heard this. Where are you getting this info from?

About 40 years of watching CFL players come and go.

In my opinion, the offensive line is the foundation of a football team. Once the Bombers have a solid foundation there, then we can start drafting BPA in the first round.  I think we're getting close to having that foundation of solid NI's on the OL (Greaves, Neufeld, Goossen).  If I'm a GM, I'd want to have 4-5 solid Canadian OL's to fill 3 roster spots; I didn't include Picard because he's near the end of his career.  If this years first round draft pick (assuming its an OL) looks good, next year the Bombers can look at BPA in the first round, and maybe start looking at some high upside guys.  Until then, gotta go OL. 

In my opinion, the offensive line is the foundation of a football team. Once the Bombers have a solid foundation there, then we can start drafting BPA in the first round.  I think we're getting close to having that foundation of solid NI's on the OL (Greaves, Neufeld, Goossen).  If I'm a GM, I'd want to have 4-5 solid Canadian OL's to fill 3 roster spots; I didn't include Picard because he's near the end of his career.  If this years first round draft pick (assuming its an OL) looks good, next year the Bombers can look at BPA in the first round, and maybe start looking at some high upside guys.  Until then, gotta go OL. 

So what's the plan with the other four NI spots?  If we're planning on starting at least one Canadian receiver, likely two, for the foreseeable future, shouldn't we draft one of the two potential ratiochangers?

Tough call - but BPA and then picking two OL in the 2nd round might not be a bad idea.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but if we followed this strategy in the year Muamba was taken #1 we would have wound up with Mitchell and that wouldn't have done a god damned thing to help the OL. At least we got a couple years of Muamba being a ratio breaker. 

Take the BPA always. The only time position comes into play is if there are two players who are close.