Interesting interview with Kyle Walters

B-F-F-C

Thanks. Good interview. Nice to hear Walters is looking for a Mack linebacker, suggesting Kuale might not be back.

What happened to MLBs being labelled MIKE?... unless he's referring to a Joe Mack-style LB? :P

I've heard various acronyms for an MLB, but Walters referred to it as a Mack linebacker.

Thanks. Good interview. Nice to hear Walters is looking for a Mack linebacker, suggesting Kuale might not be back.

What happened to MLBs being labelled MIKE?... unless he's referring to a Joe Mack-style LB? :P

I've heard various acronyms for an MLB, but Walters referred to it as a Mack linebacker.

If he was a true Mack linebacker, he would spend all his time in the US and we would never see him.

What happened to MLBs being labelled MIKE?... unless he's referring to a Joe Mack-style LB?  :P

Mike and MAC are two widely used acronyms for MLB. Just personal preference on Walters part.

Can't help but notice every interview is with a head coach or GM, except for Ottawa.

So either Desjardins missed the plane, or he's still on the luggage carousel going round and round, having the time of his life.  I'd put it at 70 - 30.

Ahh, he's still in Ottawa going around their luggage carousels and missed the plane because of it.  It's so obvious.

Makes me excited that he's looking to upgrade Pass rushers and MLB, WLB in more of a traditional CFL defense sense! loved hearing that from our GM

Maybe I'm crazy but I don't see what's worth getting excited about there. His best linebacker is gone to the NFL and the pass rush was terrible all last year. Prioritizing linebackers and pass rushers shouldn't be anything ground breaking, it's just plain old common sense. I just hope they recruit better in those positions last year than they did this year. They had pretty poor defensive linemen in training camp last year so they need to actually do a better job this year. 

Makes me excited that he's looking to upgrade Pass rushers and MLB, WLB in more of a traditional CFL defense sense! loved hearing that from our GM

Maybe I'm crazy but I don't see what's worth getting excited about there. His best linebacker is gone to the NFL and the pass rush was terrible all last year. Prioritizing linebackers and pass rushers shouldn't be anything ground breaking, it's just plain old common sense. I just hope they recruit better in those positions last year than they did this year. They had pretty poor defensive linemen in training camp last year so they need to actually do a better job this year. 

Yes, I agree... but it seems that the past few years we have all been bitching about problems with the roster and coaches/GM's of the team seemed to ignore it.... Now they're finally being addressed.

Plus, last year was far from a traditional CFL defense.

Can't help but notice every interview is with a head coach or GM, except for Ottawa.

So either Desjardins missed the plane, or he's still on the luggage carousel going round and round, having the time of his life.  I'd put it at 70 - 30.

Ahh, he's still in Ottawa going around their luggage carousels and missed the plane because of it.  It's so obvious.

Desjardins and Rick Campbell weren't in Mobile for Senior Bowl week. I haven't watched them all but guessing there won't be a Hamilton one either as they didn't get there until after Naylor left town. 

I didn't see Tom Higgins or Jim Popp either this year. 

Not entirely sure what the fuss is about the Senior Bowl. It is more of a job hunt for coaches and a meet and greet if that is what you are looking for. Those players are NFL bound and in this day and age there is countless amount of video on them if you are interested.

Surely you can understand the value in seeing players play live.  Lots of front office guys, especially GM's, really don't get to see young players play live because they are tied up with their pro teams for most of the college season.

I don't think the value of the meet and greet should be undersold. Are we realistically looking at any of these players in the firm belief we will get them? Probably not. The chance to entrench and expand scouting networks and goodwill with NFL teams is probably the most valuable thing we will take away from this. It is a big deal. Opportunities to gather with all the movers and shakers within the game of football all in one place is important.

Not entirely sure what the fuss is about the Senior Bowl. It is more of a job hunt for coaches and a meet and greet if that is what you are looking for. Those players are NFL bound and in this day and age there is countless amount of video on them if you are interested.

Surely you can understand the value in seeing players play live.  Lots of front office guys, especially GM's, really don't get to see young players play live because they are tied up with their pro teams for most of the college season.

Actually the CFL scouts generally don't stay & watch the game usually. They watch the practices that week leading up to the game to get an idea of the players but usually leave before the game is played. 

Desjardins and Rick Campbell weren't in Mobile for Senior Bowl week.

Campbell missed the plane trying to talk Desjardins off the luggage carousel.

Actually the CFL scouts generally don't stay & watch the game usually. They watch the practices that week leading up to the game to get an idea of the players but usually leave before the game is played. 

Ya the practices are live.

Ya the practices are live.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I saw on the twitter that Naylor had an interview with Ott's AGM...

It's much more than that. True there are a lot of coaches looking for work or looking for an upgrade. Position coaches looking for co-ordinator openings, college coaches looking for position jobs and head coaches looking to fill out their staff. There's also scouts looking for front office jobs and scouting directors looking to fill their scouting staff. But that's only a portion of it all. 

Separate from that is the players. While the top guys are NFL bound and likely heading for a long career there are many players there that will not get drafted. It's a great chance to see guys side by side. Having film is a great thing but let's take a guy like Bryan Bennett who was given a shot at QB when Nick Marshall moved over to cornerback. 

Southeastern Louisiana played a schedule with schools like Incarnate Word so even though he had a little history at Oregon they haven't seen him against top cornerbacks. He's not NFL bound so the CFL guys were just as interested in seeing what he can do. 

Likewise many of the offensive linemen are going to be available for CFL teams in a year or two. It's a great time to pick up notes for the future.