Esks trade Stamps to Als for Kenny Stafford AND FA Receiver Discussion

Jpan85

We can't afford Green or Dressler

How do you know? I'd bet we can.
We could but at the expense of going after Heenan or Holmes? Walters won't blow that much money on import receivers.
You don't know this. The way Walters has been talking, I suspect he has the funds and cap space for 2-3 big FA splashes.

We could but at the expense of going after Heenan or Holmes? Walters won't blow that much money on import receivers.
You don't know this. The way Walters has been talking, I suspect he has the funds and cap space for 2-3 big FA splashes.

You think he would use 400 - 450 on two imports who play one of the easiest positions to recruit??

You think he would use 400 - 450 on two imports who play one of the easiest positions to recruit??

Quite possibly. You never know how free agency will go, especially since we're hosting the Grey Cup. I'd rather spend another $200k on a stud import WR than have the $200k sitting as unused cap space.

There's no way both Heenan and Dressler could ever play on the same team.

It's unpossible.

It's unpossible.

I see wut you did there.

We have had a fair numberof good (maybe even great) import receivers come through here over the past few years,but damned few dominant o-linemen,of  either the import or domestic variety, so I would vote we shore up the o-line first. We saw too many instances the past season where the outcome of the game was determined by a leaky o-line.

We have had a fair numberof good (maybe even great) import receivers come through here over the past few years,but damned few dominant o-linemen,of  either the import or domestic variety, so I would vote we shore up the o-line first. We saw too many instances the past season where the outcome of the game was determined by a leaky o-line.

You can't control what happens in free agency.  If the 2-3 OLs we are targeting don't want to sign here, then Walters will move on to the next FA priority on his list.    

It's unpossible.

While paying a boat load to Moore and a decent penny for Denmark...all while having holes in other key positions

I know we are not voting on anything here but I vote for maximizing spending on O line. Receivers and running backs are almost like something you can get in a vending machine. Good O linemen are like the wine you have to age in a handcrafted barrel. They have to have the right body... be aged just so. The analogy breaks down when you start talking about the fragrance. 

If we already have some money tied up in receivers I would go to the "look for a young guy to grow into the star" mode. You know the receivers won't see the ball if the quarterback doesn't get a chance to throw so until O-line is a strength, you have to work on that. A salary cap prevents getting the best in everything so you have to prioritize.

I kind of like the D line to be like the O-line. Unstoppable and unmovable. In CFL skill positions are easier to fill I think. With so many football schools and so many guys too small to get a break in NFL outright, the CFL can be an audition. Every CFL guy that goes to the NFL is an ad for the CFL and there are way more guys who want to go than can go. 

Please note that I have no expertise and the least possible amount of playing experience. (9 man rural football although it worked out OK for some people) 

I know we are not voting on anything here but I vote for maximizing spending on O line. Receivers and running backs are almost like something you can get in a vending machine.

Normally you'd think that, then we went into last season with Aaron Kelly and Romby Bryant. 

I know we are not voting on anything here but I vote for maximizing spending on O line. Receivers and running backs are almost like something you can get in a vending machine.

Normally you'd think that, then we went into last season with Aaron Kelly and Romby Bryant. 

Vending machine didn't take quaters?

I don't really want Jackson as much as Ellingson or Chiles. I'd be alright with it at the right price though obviously.

Echoing the previous sentiments, any one of those guys would be a good addition, as would some home grown talent. Just need someone at that level to be the 3rd receiver behind Moore and Denmark. 

I don't really want Jackson as much as Ellingson or Chiles. I'd be alright with it at the right price though obviously.

Echoing the previous sentiments, any one of those guys would be a good addition, as would some home grown talent. Just need someone at that level to be the 3rd receiver behind Moore and Denmark. 

Hell it would be nice to have someone push Denmark into that #3 spot.  And I like Denmark.  I just feel like your boundary WR should be one of your top 2 receivers.

More like being caught under a tipped over vending machine.

Receiver is an area McManus really has to show something in.  For the most part the guys he brought to camp and to the practice roster in season did not look like CFL quality players either when they got an opportunity.

Receiver is an area McManus really has to show something in. For the most part the guys he brought to camp and to the practice roster in season did not look like CFL quality players either when they got an opportunity.

Donovan Kemp seemed to look okay in training camp and pre-season. Because of his injury, we'll never know if he would have gotten a chance and even succeeded. Actually it makes me wonder whether they might bring him back next year.

Regardless, I'd agree that the receiver competition was pretty weak. But let's remember Joe Mack's first season... finding import receivers was one of his strengths over his time here and the receivers he brought in 2010 were awful. Jamayel Smith was starting for us. My point is that I think the scouting staff deserves a first season grace period to establish themselves.

Receiver is an area McManus really has to show something in. For the most part the guys he brought to camp and to the practice roster in season did not look like CFL quality players either when they got an opportunity.

Donovan Kemp seemed to look okay in training camp and pre-season. Because of his injury, we'll never know if he would have gotten a chance and even succeeded. Actually it makes me wonder whether they might bring him back next year.

Regardless, I'd agree that the receiver competition was pretty weak. But let's remember Joe Mack's first season... finding import receivers was one of his strengths over his time here and the receivers he brought in 2010 were awful. Jamayel Smith was starting for us. My point is that I think the scouting staff deserves a first season grace period to establish themselves.

a GMs first year is always transitional, in that first year did Joe Mack not bring Greg Carr in midseason? You can forgive a new regime for not having guys in training camp but by midseason or later they should be established enough to get some guys up here who might be able to do something. This is a show me year for the scouting department. They need to do a better job than they did last year and there's just nothing more to be said. I'm willing to give them a chance, now they just gotta get some good prospects up here.