Pavs and Hutch

Mr. Perfect

I just don't follow how you get from this:

Its Hutch in net tonight against Boston.

to this:

So here we go.  We either solidify Pavs as the starter or we officially have a goaltending controversy.  Which will it be?

at all.  How are you connecting these dots?  Why are you connecting these dots?

Hutchinson is getting the start in Boston for the same reason Montoya got a start in Chicago last year - it's a place that has special meaning for him and the hope is that he will elevate his game because of it.  It's a pretty common theory NHL coaches subscribe to when picking a starting goalie, although it doesn't come up very often.  If Martin Brodeur signs with someone and New Jersey is on the schedule, you bet your pretty hiney he's getting the start that game.

Except Maurice said it had nothing to do with him being a former Boston draft pick.  Try again.

Hutchinson is making a case to start more games.  He is not making a case to the number one goalie.  But if he keeps winning, then that conversation will inevitably happen.  I just don't think we're at the point where one more win by Hutch will knock Pav down to backup status.  I also don't think a loss should mean Hutch gets less games.  It's an 82 game schedule.  Lots can happen over that amount of time.

to this:

So here we go.  We either solidify Pavs as the starter or we officially have a goaltending controversy.  Which will it be?

Hutchinson is getting the start in Boston for the same reason Montoya got a start in Chicago last year - it's a place that has special meaning for him and the hope is that he will elevate his game because of it.  It's a pretty common theory NHL coaches subscribe to when picking a starting goalie, although it doesn't come up very often.  If Martin Brodeur signs with someone and New Jersey is on the schedule, you bet your pretty hiney he's getting the start that game.

Except Maurice said it had nothing to do with him being a former Boston draft pick.  Try again.

Mbrg is right though, you sure take giant leaps to connect dots with a lot of your theories. I don't really buy into what Maurice is saying and I don't think the expectation should be that he's going to be honest when the question is essentially "did Hutch earn this start or is it the sentimental stuff" ... of course Maurice isn't going to say anything other than he earned it.

to this:

Uh, okay.

?

Gouda.

?

Maurice didn't want to give that as a reason.  Fine, I'm sure he has his reasons for it.  I'm not going to dedicate any amount of worry as to what they might be.

The above leap you made doesn't have any logic to it, or really anything at all to base it on.

to this:

Mbrg is right though, you sure take giant leaps to connect dots with a lot of your theories. I don't really buy into what Maurice is saying and I don't think the expectation should be that he's going to be honest when the question is essentially "did Hutch earn this start or is it the sentimental stuff" ... of course Maurice isn't going to say anything other than he earned it.

Not a leap at all.  The leap is in saying Hutch is starting for the exact opposite reason the Head Coach stated.  You could be right, but why is that more reasonable than any other theory?

Not to mention, I have no theory.  CLEARLY, the talk this week in the local media has been goaltending.  My remarks were more to the media craze and the seemingly desire to create a controversy.  If Hutch plays lights out tonight, you dont think the media is going to be talking up who should be starting next week?  Ofcourse they will.  Hence, my point was spot on. 

to this:

Uh, okay.

?

Gouda.

?

Maurice didn't want to give that as a reason.  Fine, I'm sure he has his reasons for it.  I'm not going to dedicate any amount of worry as to what they might be.

The above leap you made doesn't have any logic to it, or really anything at all to base it on.

What leap?  No leap whatsoever was made.  Like what is with some posters who take part if a thread but cant discuss the content and have to resort to whining about the posters'?  The media is already trying to create a goalie controversy here.  If Hutch craps the bed tonight, it quiets down the media's desire for Hutch to start more (and the fans, many of whom still see Pavs as not a bonafide starter).  If Hutch plays lights out, you dont think there's a controversy?  Maybe not in the Jets' locker room, but certainly within the media and among many fans.  I mean really, thats pretty obvious.  Leap....lol

But the point is silly because there has been Pavelec talk ad nauseam for years.  To say that one win tonight will ignite a goaltending controversy?  The so-called "controversy" has been raging for a while now.  Pav-haters have been calling for more Mason/Montoya/Hutchinson since day 1.  Pav-lovers have been saying he's just fine.  They talk about Pav on the radio every day.

One win tonight isn't going to change a thing.

But the point is silly because there has been Pavelec talk ad nauseam for years.  To say that one win tonight will ignite a goaltending controversy?  The so-called "controversy" has been raging for a while now.  Pav-haters have been calling for more Mason/Montoya/Hutchinson since day 1.  Pav-lovers have been saying he's just fine.  They talk about Pav on the radio every day.

One win tonight isn't going to change a thing.

Its Hutch in net tonight against Boston. So here we go.  We either solidify Pavs as the starter or we officially have a goaltending controversy.  Which will it be?

When Pavs sits in favour of Hutch there will be controversy. I'm not talking giving Hutch ice-time, he has to outplay Pavs. I'm all on favour of Hutch getting games, but he has to earn them.

Never noticed before Hutch catches with his right hand.

Not that it matters tho.

As long as he catches it, right?

Not fair for you to comment on that though as I can't watch it,,,,,, most Jet games are blacked out here in Kelowna…in Kelowna for H sakes!

Oh well, back to the Chicago-Anaheim game for me.

Not that it matters tho.

Not fair for you to comment on that though as I can't watch it,,,,,, most Jet games are blacked out here in Kelowna…in Kelowna for H sakes!

Sry dude.

If you have Rodgers for a smart phone get the center ice app and you can watch any game.

Not that it matters tho.

This works for whatever I want to watch. Hope it works for you:

http://livetv.sx/en/

Not that it matters tho.

This works for whatever I want to watch. Hope it works for you:

http://livetv.sx/en/

if you have some technical expertise, you can get higher quality streams on http://reddit.com/r/nhlstreams  in the stickied post. (NOTE: not strictly legal)

Wow. Hutch is the real deal. How do you not start him again? He is the only reason the Jets got a point out of that game.

Agreed. I sort of assume they come back with Pavs next week but really how can they? Hutch just put himself into the conversation for any start. Would love to hear the MTSC crowd respond to him if he starts next game.

Pavs has always and will continue to be a middlin' starter with moments of excellent play.. He is who he is.. We could do much worse.. We could do much better.. The thing I've noticed is that hutch doesn't need his defense to play perfect to have a good game where as ifs the defense plays poorly in front of pavs, it's a nightmare..

Hutch could very easily regress at any point as well... We've seen countless goalies have unreal seasons only to be out of work next year.. So i hope we stick status quo and if pavs gets hurt, hutch gets some extra work... Otherwise once every 4-6 games works for me..