Drew Willy

SmokinBlue

One of the key words is "stubborn". MOS seems to have it in abundance. How he could not see that Willy was holding on to the ball too long and causing sacks, and not throwing it away when he had to, is beyond me. How he could not think that putting Marve in for even a series or two would not possibly be a good thing is also beyond me. I can only chalk it up to being stubborn. He refused to replace Grigsby with Cotton until the end of the year. He refused to see how slow and useless and replace Kuale until he got injured. It just seems like no one could actually tell him anything negative where he would make a change.

How long did it take him to try any meaningful change on the Oline? How long did guys who they thought had talent sit on the PR and then be cut? I seriously think some of these coaches can't recognize talent properly, if they think Kuale, and Grigsby and a few others are good enough. I don't put everything on Willy, whoever our illustrious QB coach is, has to go. Willy has been staring down his first read all year. He throws 20 or 30 yard passes when a 7 or 8 yard pass is what is needed. He has been doing that consistently. a QB coach should be able to coach him out of that penchant for always going for the long pass.

That attempt at a 2 point conversion, is the exact same play they have run every time they tried for two points, and has never once worked. Who's fault is that? play calling or Willy himself?

So much more to say...sore fingers  :)

Never thought of this angle before but isn't it a QB coach's job to not only prepare but also to protect the QB from this kind of mental and physical abuse?  What we have witnessed this season is the deconstruction of a talented young QB with infinite promise into the shambles of a Buck Pierce look-a-like, all under the tutelage of Gene Dalquist.   So what is Dalquist's role in all of this?  In the least Dalquist should have communicated his concerns directly to O'Shea or Marcel but perhaps he has no real sway or like O'Shea saw nothing wrong in the game-plan last night.   Either way, I award Dalquist with a Fail.

I'll counter this.. how do we not know he hasn't been doing this? As a coach (or teacher) you can only do so much. You ever the expression that you can 'lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it'. Are you guys insinuating that these professional teachers/coaches are morons and don't know the meaning of the word 'checkdown'.

How come Brohm can come in to a game cold (Edmonton) and on his first pass hit a 15 yard strike, something Willy couldn't do in an (almost) entire half. 

Enough of this. It's not coaching, it's not the water boy, it's not the assistant trainer, it's not the ushers, it's not security. Brohm/Marve play with the same players, same coaching, same offensive scheme. And though they don't have any wins (yet) either, they look a lot better back there running the offense than Willy does. 

I find it extremely improbable that our coaches are not talking to Willy and telling him about check downs, and reminding him what to do. Do you honestly believe that?

One of the key words is "stubborn". MOS seems to have it in abundance. How he could not see that Willy was holding on to the ball too long and causing sacks, and not throwing it away when he had to, is beyond me. How he could not think that putting Marve in for even a series or two would not possibly be a good thing is also beyond me. I can only chalk it up to being stubborn. He refused to replace Grigsby with Cotton until the end of the year. He refused to see how slow and useless and replace Kuale until he got injured. It just seems like no one could actually tell him anything negative where he would make a change.

How long did it take him to try any meaningful change on the Oline? How long did guys who they thought had talent sit on the PR and then be cut? I seriously think some of these coaches can't recognize talent properly, if they think Kuale, and Grigsby and a few others are good enough. I don't put everything on Willy, whoever our illustrious QB coach is, has to go. Willy has been staring down his first read all year. He throws 20 or 30 yard passes when a 7 or 8 yard pass is what is needed. He has been doing that consistently. a QB coach should be able to coach him out of that penchant for always going for the long pass.

That attempt at a 2 point conversion, is the exact same play they have run every time they tried for two points, and has never once worked. Who's fault is that? play calling or Willy himself?

So much more to say...sore fingers  :)

Never thought of this angle before but isn't it a QB coach's job to not only prepare but also to protect the QB from this kind of mental and physical abuse?  What we have witnessed this season is the deconstruction of a talented young QB with infinite promise into the shambles of a Buck Pierce look-a-like, all under the tutelage of Gene Dalquist.   So what is Dalquist's role in all of this?  In the least Dalquist should have communicated his concerns directly to O'Shea or Marcel but perhaps he has no real sway or like O'Shea saw nothing wrong in the game-plan last night.   Either way, I award Dalquist with a Fail.

I'll counter this.. how do we not know he hasn't been doing this? As a coach (or teacher) you can only do so much. You ever the expression that you can 'lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it'. Are you guys insinuating that these professional teachers/coaches are morons and don't know the meaning of the word 'checkdown'.

How come Brohm can come in to a game cold (Edmonton) and on his first pass hit a 15 yard strike, something Willy couldn't do in an (almost) entire half. 

Enough of this. It's not coaching, it's not the water boy, it's not the assistant trainer, it's not the ushers, it's not security. Brohm/Marve play with the same players, same coaching, same offensive scheme. And though they don't have any wins (yet) either, they look a lot better back there running the offense than Willy does. 

I find it extremely improbable that our coaches are not talking to Willy and telling him about check downs, and reminding him what to do. Do you honestly believe that?

I honestly believe that you always think you are right no matter what.

Drew Willy said in the post game press conference that he realized during the game that he was not progressing to his 2nd and 3rd reads and this contributed to the sack total.

Whoa whoa whoa there. You mean..... nah iso, goalie, Mr P and the rest can't be wrong about Drew freaking Willy can they? .... Ummmm, nope, it's me, I'm the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Its the water boy (right Willy boys) -he's the culprit. Not Drew Willy, He had the time to go to his fourth reads, no one was open. That's why he was sacked. Willy is God, he can do no wrong. Now Willy is Jesus Christ, and he's shouldering the burden of the whole team

You'd probably get a lot more credit for your opinion if you didn't sound like such a clown while you convey it.

"look at me look at me look at me look at me"

Drew Willy said in the post game press conference that he realized during the game that he was not progressing to his 2nd and 3rd reads and this contributed to the sack total.

Whoa whoa whoa there. You mean..... nah iso, goalie, Mr P and the rest can't be wrong about Drew freaking Willy can they? .... Ummmm, nope, it's me, I'm the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Its the water boy (right Willy boys) -he's the culprit. Not Drew Willy, He had the time to go to his fourth reads, no one was open. That's why he was sacked. Willy is God, he can do no wrong. Now Willy is Jesus Christ, and he's shouldering the burden of the whole team

You'd probably get a lot more credit for your opinion if you didn't sound like such a clown while you convey it.

Yeah, is there such a thing as clown's soapbox?

I concur... Krunch is no doubt knowledgable about the fooseball but his method of conveying his message is just so soaked in ******, ire and angst that it's very, verrrrrry easy to simply look at it and ignore it because it's so combative and condescending..

Anyone whose watched football for a few years should know that Marve will probably struggle when teams have watched tape and game planned for his tendencies.

Can't be sure of that until he gets significant playing time.

The chances of it happening are very good...as many of you well know.  

Anyone whose watched football for a few years should know that Marve will probably struggle when teams have watched tape and game planned for his tendencies.

Chances are that once the DCs of the league get tape on him and his strengths, weaknesses and tendencies that his play will suffer... You are right, it might not but I cannot think of a single QB in the last 3-4 seasons who has walked on, blown the doors off due to the unknown factor... And then kept going...

The point I'm making here is the odds are NOT in Robbie Marvel's favour here.. He definitely could be the exception to the norm but previous history doesn't lie..

Chances are that once the DCs of the league get tape on him and his strengths, weaknesses and tendencies that his play will suffer... You are right, it might not but I cannot think of a single QB in the last 3-4 seasons who has walked on, blown the doors off due to the unknown factor... And then kept going...

The point I'm making here is the odds are NOT in Robbie Marvel's favour here.. He definitely could be the exception to the norm but previous history doesn't lie..

I'm not sure I understand... Every QB has had to start somewhere right?? Are you saying that those who falter at first have a better chance at succeeding in the long run than those who "blow the doors open?"

Thing is Marve clearly has a TON of talent, and it's been on display ever since he first partook in a Bombers mini-camp. We obviously need to see more of him before we come to any kind of conclusion, but he's certainly an intriguing prospect.

I'm not sure I understand... Every QB has had to start somewhere right?? Are you saying that those who falter at first have a better chance at succeeding in the long run than those who "blow the doors open?"

Thing is Marve clearly has a TON of talent, and it's been on display ever since he first partook in a Bombers mini-camp. We obviously need to see more of him before we come to any kind of conclusion, but he's certainly an intriguing prospect.

Not sure if your following what we are saying here... I'll try to explain. A raw, unknown, talented QB who can run and throw will "shock" a team or two... Maaaaaybe 3 because none of the defensive coordinators know what the kid is capable of. They will draw up a plan they think will shut him down but often it will be one for the other QB the rookie is replacing or very generic. A QB like marve will make a defense built to defend against the things he doesn't do and is open to attack to his strengths (legs, shifty,strong quick throws) will be beaten...

now, say 3 or 4 games in head coaches and defensive coordinators get to watch hours of film on him... His tendencies, his abilities, what he is excellent at, what he isn't good at, etc etc... They then game plan to limit the good stuff he can do and exploit the bad things he does...

9.8 times outta 10 the coaches win this battle and the QB is brought back to earth.. Now, this doesn't mean the QB is now done and shown to suck... Now the OC needs to build the offence to suit his QBs skillset.. And the chess match begins..

Not sure if your following what we are saying here... I'll try to explain. A raw, unknown, talented QB who can run and throw will "shock" a team or two... Maaaaaybe 3 because none of the defensive coordinators know what the kid is capable of. They will draw up a plan they think will shut him down but often it will be one for the other QB the rookie is replacing or very generic. A QB like marve will make a defense built to defend against the things he doesn't do and is open to attack to his strengths (legs, shifty,strong quick throws) will be beaten...

now, say 3 or 4 games in head coaches and defensive coordinators get to watch hours of film on him... His tendencies, his abilities, what he is excellent at, what he isn't good at, etc etc... They then game plan to limit the good stuff he can do and exploit the bad things he does...

9.8 times outta 10 the coaches win this battle and the QB is brought back to earth.. Now, this doesn't mean the QB is now done and shown to suck... Now the OC needs to build the offence to suit his QBs skillset.. And the chess match begins..

Well I definitely agree with you in that we can't get our hopes up too high just yet.

Nevertheless, in the six years that I've had to watch the Bombers, I've never been as impressed with a young QB as I've been with Marve so far.

Well I definitely agree with you in that we can't get our hopes up too high just yet.

Nevertheless, in the six years that I've had to watch the Bombers, I've never been as impressed with a young QB as I've been with Marve so far.

Oh don't get me wrong... He looks very good, even outstanding.. That cross body throw while running to carter for the first down was a thing of beauty... He looks very capable running and passing.. But the true litmus tests will have to come sometime next season hopefully.. (Not wishing ill will towards anyone) after his game or two in preseason, and a small group of games due to injury or change of pace we will be in a position to see other teams game plan for him and THEN we can say we have the next big thing, a great backup or another Joey Elliot type... Great at small things but garbage elsewhere...

My biggest concern is his mobility is directly related to his knees... If they get messed up...

The real issue is that he does get some things right but uses the wrong line of thinking to come to that conclusion. If you fall ass backwards into being right but don't have the proper method for coming to that conclusion it's still talking out your ass. 

The real issue is that he does get some things right but uses the wrong line of thinking to come to that conclusion. If you fall ass backwards into being right but don't have the proper method for coming to that conclusion it's still talking out your ass. 

That's kind of like the way I golf.

I get the ball to the right area…but not with, what you might call, a good swing.

Actually, it all started on my 'tough love' thread about Willy in the end of September. But you're right I definitely can come on too strong (and way too wordy) on a lot of these threads. 

Like I warned you guys when you were 5-1, young QBs always go through tough times, Willy is no different. He's the future in Wpg, has all the tools to be a great one.

Except pocket awareness and mobility.

He had 'em in spades, in July.....those things don't just go away outta nowhere. He'll learn from what happened this year and get better. Shitty OL, too many hits....gunshy back there. He'll get it figured out...

I wonder how much control of the game Willy actually has? I don't see many audibles. Willy seems to do his best during the 2 minute drill when everything is already planned and the D does not have time to react. How would Willy do calling his own plays with no huddle? Would be interesting to see if he's capable.

That's kind of like the way I golf.

I get the ball to the right area…but not with, what you might call, a good swing.

I am blessed (suffer) from the same thing .. LOFT .. Lack of F@cking Talent ..  :)