Robert Marve

IC Khari

Sigh... One game... Limited reps for each.... And we're dealing em for OL. Sigh. I'm sitting at a bar in Banff with 17to85 just face palming hard...

And how are we going to protect Brink, Elliott and Goltz in the upcoming expansion draft?

It's an embarrassment of riches!!!

Umm, Eliott is with Ottawa now, and Brink is with Montreal...HELLO!  We only have to protect Goltz.

Geez yer so dum sometimes.

I dont care what anybody prefers, the point is to call damon allen average is insane.

One of the reasons he played for so many teams is because the guys backing him up were often thought to be better.  He lost his job to Michael Bishop.  Twice.

He was smart and mobile.  As a passer he left a lot to be desired.  23 seasons in the CFL - he passed for over 4,000 yards 4 times and 5,000 once.  He passed for less than 3,000 yards 8 times.

He was a decent combination of a game manager and a running QB.  He did these things well enough to carve out a 23 year career, so no, that's far from average.  It's pretty remarkable.  As a passer, being average for 23 years will eventually get you to 70,000 yards.  I respect him and his accomplishments, but when listing the top QBs in CFL history his name will never come to mind, and I don't think that's an oversight.

Sorry, maybe not to you but to just about everyone else. 

You want to list the greatest quarterbacks in the CFL? Allen is up there.

You want to list the BEST quarterbacks? I doubt he even cracks my top 15.

Maybe you've heard of Randall Cunningham: (or was he average and lucky too)

“He (Damon Allen) and I are almost exactly the same player,” added Cunningham, who played 16 seasons in the N.F.L. “The only difference is I’m 6-4. And I’m now about 225 pounds. But he could have done a lot of the things that Marcus Allen did — as a quarterback. And he could have done everything I did. Maybe better.”

Damon Allen replaced your hero Matt Dunigan in the Grey Cup when the Eskimos getting beaten. Damon brought them back to win it.

It is truly idiotic to say Damon Allen was anything other than a hall of fame Q.B. 

can't see the forest for the trees sometimes eh folks?

Damon Allen had a great career no one will deny that, but when I go through a list of Damon Allens contemporaries I have a hard time picking him ahead of many of them. Look at the qbs who played in the CFL during the same time frame as Allen did... the only thing Damon Allen did well was play for a long time without having his play dropping off. That is good enough to get him into the HoF, his career warrants that, but in terms of actually being a high level quarterback? Nah there were always several players better than him in the CFL, they just didn't play for 23 years. 

Damon Allen was a stud QB for being healthy, playing forever and for managing a football game.. He wasn't the best, the smartest or the fastest but he parlayed his skills into a crazy long career.. Deserving of a HOF Spot no doubt but not on many peoples lists of top QBs ever..

I'll go so far as to say that Damon Allen was a really fancy way of saying Nealon Greene...

I'm not a huge Allen fan, but that's ridiculous. I hope it was said for shock value only.

Well, mostly.......but there's more truth to it than some would care to admit. Both were glorified running backs, but yes Allen was a better passer only because Greene was truly awful.

Damon Allen had a great career no one will deny that, but when I go through a list of Damon Allens contemporaries I have a hard time picking him ahead of many of them. Look at the qbs who played in the CFL during the same time frame as Allen did... the only thing Damon Allen did well was play for a long time without having his play dropping off. That is good enough to get him into the HoF, his career warrants that, but in terms of actually being a high level quarterback? Nah there were always several players better than him in the CFL, they just didn't play for 23 years. 

He is the Art Monk of CFL QB's....

Damon Allen was the best in his class exactly once in a 23 year career.

That about says it all.

. What does that say about Ricky Ray and his zero MOP awards in 12 years or so?

Unfortunately Ray had his best years while playing for a terrible Esks team.  The guy was absolutely amazing, throwing for 5000 yards behind a porous OL and no running game to speak of.

Damon Allen was the best in his class exactly once in a 23 year career.

That about says it all.

. What does that say about Ricky Ray and his zero MOP awards in 12 years or so?

Unfortunately Ray had his best years while playing for a terrible Esks team. The guy was absolutely amazing, throwing for 5000 yards behind a porous OL and no running game to speak of.
Very true statement, that. He is one of the best pure passing and smart as all hell QBs to step onto the CFL field in a very, very long time.. I honestly dont know how he has gone this long without a pile of accolades..

So the great QBs:

1. Flutie

1a. Moon

next tier?:

Lancaster

Dungian

Ray

Calvillo

Clements

Etcheverry

Ploen

How many of those people have four grey cup rings? I know Lancaster finally got one. Putting him ahead of a guy that has four is nonsensical.

The reason Dan Marino is NEVER mentioned in discussion of the great NFL quarterbacks, is cause he has Zero Super Bowl rings. The greatest NFL quarterbacks are always the guys with the most rings. with one exception.

For some reason here, 4 league championships means little. 

You can think up every excuse you want, name any shortcoming real or imagined, you're still wrong.

four rings.

You guys are hilarious. 

So the great QBs:

1. Flutie

1a. Moon

next tier?:

Lancaster

Dungian

Ray

Calvillo

Clements

Etcheverry

Ploen

How many of those people have four grey cup rings? I know Lancaster finally got one. Putting him ahead of a guy that has four is nonsensical.

The reason Dan Marino is NEVER mentioned in discussion of the great NFL quarterbacks, is cause he has Zero Super Bowl rings. The greatest NFL quarterbacks are always the guys with the most rings. with one exception.

For some reason here, 4 league championships means little. 

You can think up every excuse you want, name any shortcoming real or imagined, you're still wrong.

four rings.

You guys are hilarious. 

4 grey cups in 23 yeas is not that impressive. 4 rings in a normal 10-15 year career for a qb? That's impressive. 4 in 23 not as much. It is acknowledged already that because of that longevity and because he did have good showings in big games that Allen had one of the best CFL careers of all time... but there was only one year where you could say he was the best quarterback in the CFL. Most other years you could point to 3 or 4 or 5 others and say that they were better. That's why Damon Allen played for damn near every team in the league. Teams always wanted more from him in the regular season. He is very much like Kevin Glenn in that regard. Only difference would be that Allen actually performed in the big games.