Robert Marve

IC Khari

One game and folks think other teams will be lining up to sign Brohm?  He's a journeyman 30 year old QB who hasn't started and won a game in 7 years (His last college start) and he's got a broken thumb on his throwing hand.  No CFL team is going to bring him in to compete for the starting QB job.  Bidding war?  Hardly.  He'll take what he can get if he wants to continue to play football.  

If it was a fair competition in training camp like it should have been, then he would be our starting qb.

I don't know about that, while I like Marve and would love to see him be the starter within a couple of years, throwing a raw rookie out there as the starter from day 1, is not something I'd be the most comfortable with.

I'm still not sold on Willy and Brohm looks decent, but not much else IMO, however both have some time in this league and/or in the NFL. At this point they should be given the edge over Marve if nothing else, but to protect him.

I don't think you are being fair to Willy. We put this guy behind a suspect line and watch him get beat up all year but still playing even when he's hurting. His play was exceptional until the pounding started to show its effect. How many times have we seen guys come into the game light it up then just flame out. 

Marve came in with no previous film on him and caught the Stamps off guard.   The Stamps game planned for Brohm who isn't going to beat you with his legs.  Then Marve comes in and moves the pocket and takes off.  

Don't get me wrong, I love a strong mobile QB more than one that sits in the pocket 90% of the time.  But we've seen this too many times before.   

We should pump the brakes on talking up a QB who's played essentially a half of football. Kid looks good, I'm excited, but projections off that small a sample are challenging.

Agreed - but I just want to say this - those two completions he made, the first one in the third quarter, where while scrambling he stopped to turn his body just enough to get enough zip on it to complete that pass was the best throw I've seen a Wpg QB make since the 2002 Glenn to Stegall 100 yard miracle catch in Edmonton. Then he out did himself even then in the fourth quarter, proving that it was no fluke. Even Duane Forde said that that would have been a heck of a play if he was able to throw the ball out of bounds, never mind get it down field to Brett Carter for a first down. 

That is talent, not a fluke. And we haven't had a QB here that had that kind of talent since Tom Clements. I know, I've seen them all since Don Jonas. 

And my fav part, he's OUR QB. He's not some cast off from Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, B.C. or Saskatchewan. Sure, once in a while you manage to snag a guy like Anthony Cavillo but how many of those do you actually get? Bombers get no one, ever. 

Drew Willy has surprised me this year, he is a very capable QB who unfortunately over the course of the season has taken an hellacious beating.

I said it three weeks ago, two weeks ago, and now that I've seen them play, I'll say it again. If Drew Willy throws another pass this year, I'll throw up. He needs to retire for the season. He's done. He's 1 - 8 and last week here in Edmonton, in one half of football, he managed a whopping 23 yards passing and 1 net yard of offense (for those of you that can't trust your eyes and brains and need stats instead). 

Marve should get the starts over the next two games. He's mobile, he can evade the rush (Willy is neither one of those, main reason why he is so beat up he's a statue back there) and he can throw on the run. I want to see him with more reps. I want to see how he does when MB puts a game plan in for him that shows what  Marve can do (admittedly it was a lot of sand lot football out there ala Doug Flutie - and Marve reminded me of Doug Flutie on those two scrambles btw).

Season is gone so it doesn't matter. Even though I've soured on Willy personally because of his poor performance this isn't a personal thing - I wanted to see Marve and Brohm the rest of the way anyway. But with Marve playing like he did in the preseason, and showing in one half what he could do here - against the best team in the league no less - well, I want to see what he has. 

Not sure what MOS will do - I know they are loyal to Willy and make no mistake, Willy comes in next year as our #1 QB - but if Marve keeps going the way he is, he's a 1B QB to start the year next year. 

Marve came in with no previous film on him and caught the Stamps off guard.   The Stamps game planned for Brohm who isn't going to beat you with his legs.  Then Marve comes in and moves the pocket and takes off.  

Don't get me wrong, I love a strong mobile QB more than one that sits in the pocket 90% of the time.  But we've seen this too many times before.   

Really - tell me who. Give some specific examples. I haven't seen a QB do what Marve did in Wpg since Clements. 

Really - tell me who. Give some specific examples. I haven't seen a QB do what Marve did in Wpg since Clements. 

I have to agree with kk, Marve was made for the CFL game.

Brohm is the same type of quarterback as Willy, except Willy throws with more authority. Marve on the other hand brings a completely different dimension, and, IMO should be the one we hang onto. I haven't seen Portis yet, hopefully see him before the end of the season.

It's just one game but Brohm seemed to throw better then Willy. On the other hand Marve throws harder then both. Too hard on one play.

Need to see more. Troy Kopp got a win for us and Joe Elliott was POTW twice.

I'm actually more surprised that some are so confounded that people like Marve and want to see him play. Marve has that "it" factor, something of which Willy doesn't, most wanted Collaros here during the off season, and Collaros also has that "it" factor. Makes them exciting to watch, Reilly and Tate the same thing, some guys have it some don't.

I'm actually more surprised that some are so confounded that people like Marve and want to see him play. Marve has that "it" factor, something of which Willy doesn't, most wanted Collaros here during the off season, and Collaros also has that "it" factor. Makes them exciting to watch, Reilly and Tate the same thing, some guys have it some don't.

Difference between Collaros & Marve for me is that Zack has 2 good knees. Marve has had multiple ACL surgeries & because of that may not have a very long playing career.

Difference between Collaros & Marve for me is that Zack has 2 good knees. Marve has had multiple ACL surgeries & because of that may not have a very long playing career.

That's the point that scares me a bit but even with no knees he's a heck of a lot more mobile than Willy, who, but sorry, as far as I'm concerned is a much as fault for the hit's he's taken as our oline is. He is a pure pocket passer and doesn't (yet) have a quick enough release. I like Willy - but in an albeit very small sample size Marve is much better (and it's why I wanted us to get Collaros so bad in the off season, because of how he can move the pocket - though I had no idea what Willy would bring to the table when we first signed him)

And speaking of 'small sample sizes' it's amazing how quick a lot of people here are to judge a QB when they have a bad game or two - immediately writing them off. One specific example - my guy (and many others here) Zack Collaros. When he started the year in Hamilton, and basically did the opposite of what Willy was doing here - a lot of posters on here were crowing how Willy was their 'first pick' (and I'm not saying he wasn't he was) and how crappy Collaros really was.

Well, the year is almost out and it's a complete 180. Collaros is winning games and despite playing 5 fewer games is only one back of Willy for 300 yard games and sorry Willy fans is a much better QB right now (not even close) than Willy is. 

So, Marve is in fact a very small sample size, but he looks a lot like Collaros did when he first took over for Ray. Let him play. Lets get a bigger sample size. He's earned it. And Willy has earned is spot on the bench (for now). 

That's the point that scares me a bit but even with no knees he's a heck of a lot more mobile than Willy, who, but sorry, as far as I'm concerned is a much as fault for the hit's he's taken as our oline is. He is a pure pocket passer and doesn't (yet) have a quick enough release. I like Willy - but in an albeit very small sample size Marve is much better (and it's why I wanted us to get Collaros so bad in the off season, because of how he can move the pocket - though I had no idea what Willy would bring to the table when we first signed him)

Collaros at the start of the season was being asked to stay in the pocket.  He was not effective until the right adjustments were made.

You can look at CFL or NFL...the best QB's are pocket passers.  Ray, Calvillo, Brady, Manning, et. al.  Sure there are some effective scramblers, but the QB's who have had the most long term success are the pocket passers.

And really, if you look at the OL the Bombers put on the field this season, it was ridiculous that they didn't perform better with three Americans starting.  If they were starting 4 or 5 Canadians, you could argue that the OL is a long term project.  But the fact is they aren't, and they should be finding better OL down south.