Troy Smith Released

TrueBlue

Media and fan darling for awhile there.

Funny thing about QBs, especially mobile ones, TSN, media goes gooey for them "he was made for three down football " yadda yadda before waiting for them to actually do something, win games and beat quality defenses.

Down the stretch Smith won once and none against a better than average defense.

I am having a hard time believing that an athlete who was as good as Smith was in college and as good as he looked last year in his short time could fall so far and so fast that he has become a pariah. I know that we cannot bring him in for a looksee and probably don't need to but surely someone in the CFL ought to be interested enough in his potential to sign him in the off season.

@ArashMadani: Timing of the #Alouettes releasing Troy Smith today is no accident. By cutting him after the #CFL trade deadline, he now can't play in 2014.

Am I crazy, or does anyone else think that if the Bombers did this to someone who was a good soldier like Smith was, the cries of "classless organization!" would have been deafening? I feel like it pretty much already happens for far far less all the time.

I am having a hard time believing that an athlete who was as good as Smith was in college and as good as he looked last year in his short time could fall so far and so fast that he has become a pariah. I know that we cannot bring him in for a looksee and probably don't need to but surely someone in the CFL ought to be interested enough in his potential to sign him in the off season.

Why are people so shocked Smith was released? He has major issues throwing the football. He has mechanical & fundamental issues with accuracy because quite frankly he can't hit the broad side of a barn from 30 metres away. I also think he had issues reading CFL defenses. Great athlete, sure but not a great qb. That athleticism got him by NFL & CFL teams & probably extended his career by half a decade. It's over now. 

We should have waited a couple days and released Grigsby after the Trade Deadline too.... someone who quits on a team shouldn't be able to even consider joining another team.

I agree, Grigsby wants to quit screw him, don't set him free to find a job with a competitor.  All together different scenario with Alex Suber and Will Ford, they deserved the opportunity to continue their careers if they couldn't be accommodated here.  I'd venture to say that Marcel may have designed a position around Grigsby's skills similar to Durie's if he would have had the patience to stick around until next year.

Typical as Grigsby screwed us but we'll be the nice guys & let him sign elsewhere. Where's the logic in that? It's almost like the Bombers didn't know about the trade deadline as it makes no sense. Meanwhile, in Montreal they put the screws to Troy Smith who from everything I heard was a model player & great teammate. His only sin? Not playing well enough to stick around. Doesn't seem fair, does it? 

Captain Blue, on 16 Oct 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Really thought he could be a good QB. Wonder if he gets another shot somewhere.

My guess is he's probably going to hang it up now.  I don't know what the Riders think of him.  Obviously him being put in a situation early this year where the Als offense was being run by inexperienced coordinators and position coaches affected a lot of what was going on with him, but when you now have an organization making it clear that the experiment is over, he's seen as damaged goods by other teams who are more reluctant to give him a fair shake, and his margin for error goes way down.

At his age though, and after the nomadic journey through the NFL, UFL, and now here, he's probably gonna return to his family in the states and call it a career with football.

I don't think Grigsby screwed us, fact is he wasn't going to play last week and he wasn't going to play this week, my guess is he wasn't going to play next week or the week after. Based on nothing but a complete guess, I'm not sure Grigsby would have seen the field again, so he didn't really screw us. He might have screwed himself a bit tho, if the rumors of him being a locker room problem and "cancer" (hate using the word to describe people) but if they are true, then Grigsby is probably never heard  from again...

Sure he might sign in Hamilton or wherever, not sure why anyone would think BC, they have Anatolin who is 10x better than Grigsby, but I'd imagine Grigsby won't be in the CFL next season. He might have had a chance to be if he decided not to quit on the team, gotta think he might have earned at least a training camp invite with us next season, maybe not tho, but regardless, Grigsby asking for his release, It's like Christmas in October really. 

As for Smith, Dude couldn't hit the side of a barn from 10 feet away... He done.