Troy Smith Released

TrueBlue

voodoochylde, on 16 Oct 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

jim bender         @bendersun

@PentonKirk The #bombers should snap him up.

Not sure if he's being serious or trolling per usual .. haven't seen anything from him regarding the Bombers (on twitter at least) that hasn't been extremely critical or sarcastic.

Pfft like we need a QB.  Besides, he can't block, that I know.

jim bender         @bendersun

@PentonKirk The #bombers should snap him up.

Not sure if he's being serious or trolling per usual .. haven't seen anything from him regarding the Bombers (on twitter at least) that hasn't been extremely critical or sarcastic.

SIGN HIM!!!!

Sorry, I thought that's what we do every time another team releases a player.

Apparently so does Bender.

BREAKING: The #Alouettes have released QB Troy Smith. #CFL

Honestly the biggest underperformance of the season.  I predicted Smith was going to do some good things this season.

The first thought I had in seeing this was why did it take so long?

obviously, they are afraid another team will pick him up and bite them back.

Honestly the biggest underperformance of the season.  I predicted Smith was going to do some good things this season.

With what he's demonstrated thus far with his play? I'm not sure I'd be afraid of a) him getting picked up and/or B) getting picked up and having any sort of bite.

I could be wrong though, maybe he'd shine somewhere else in this league but I'm not betting much.

With what he's demonstrated thus far with his play? I'm not sure I'd be afraid of a) him getting picked up and/or B) getting picked up and having any sort of bite.

I could be wrong though, maybe he'd shine somewhere else in this league but I'm not betting much.

Higgins & co. just being paranoid.

Kind of sucks for Smith, if he wanted to catch on with someone else. Grigsby has the opportunity to and that's the difference between us and Mont. We're the nice guys and it seems we always finish last. Popp can be a real knob and has the rep. of finishing first. Maybe we have to be a little more cutthroat in our approach in this business. Playing by all the rules has netted us sweet bugger all.

Can he play running back? ;)

I believe that since he was released after the trade deadline, no teams can pick him up. I could be wrong though.

This is correct.

If correct, doesn't the same thing apply to Grigsby?

If a player is released before the trade deadline, which Grigsby was, they can sign with another team.

Kind of a **** move by Montreal to release him the day after the trade deadline, sorry but things like that probably won't sit well with people.

Why not release him yesterday and give him the chance to catch on elsewhere.. I don't really care that they released him, i just think the timing of it makes it a huge **** move. 

Well, troy smith won't get a shot anywhere else in the CFL this season, he can't. He was let go after the trade deadline, no teams can pick him up.

Wouldn't be surprised if Montreal shopped him around to some teams but had no takers. He really wasn't very good at all.

I mean really, based on nothing but just a guess, you could come to the conclusion that sask chose 41 or 40 something year old Joseph over Troy Smith.

I mean sask probably could have given up a late round pick for Smith if they really wanted him a few weeks ago...They didn't. Think that tells you all you really need to know about how teams feel about Troy Smith. 

I do have to admit tho, i find it somewhat amusing and kind of hmm ironic, nah.. interesting i guess that 2 guys that TSN hyped the crap out of earlier this season, HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE.. non stop HYPE for smith and Grigsby by TSN, well.. they are gone now. 

TSN didn't really hype Grigsby all that much.     Troy Smith was really only hyped by Rod Black with the rest of the normal panel being unsure on the guy.  

I think Smith would of been definitely a decent pick up by Saskatchewan... I think he catches on with someone else next season (even if Montreal re signed him)

Can someone give me a link to find the rule that you can't sign a player who was released after the trade deadline?  (Just post the rule here if that's easier) 

I know you can't trade anyone, but once a player is cut, they aren't under contract and teams can sign players after the trade deadline.

I guess was wrong about Smith.  After watching him late last year, I thought he'd be a good one.  I still think he's better than Brohm.