The Bombers Won't Win Again This Season

Atomic

We're 4 or 5 difference making players away from being a competitive team.  A couple of O lineman, a receiver, a MLB and a DE are on my wish list.  We need a couple of them to be NI's too.  We need to use Free Agency to get better.  If anyone will give us a 2nd rounder for Watson, we need to make that deal.

I disagree. This is already a competitive team and when healthy maybe even a decent team. What we need more than anything is depth so that losing a player like Moore or Wild doesn't leave the team without adequate players in those positions. Sure there's some places that could use upgrades, but to suggest that this team isn't competitive already is just ludicrous. They have been competitive in almost every game they've played this season. If we add 4 or 5 difference makers we're one of the best teams in the league. Or is that what you mean by competitive? Being one of the best is the only way to be competitive? Cause that's equally ridiculous. 

If you consider being in most of the games competitive, I guess we're competitive, but I don't look at it that way.  I call top half of the league competitive and I sincerely doubt we will be there at the end of the season.  Winning more than you lose is competitive, losing more than you win isn't.  Losing 8 out of 9 games isn't competitive.  We were great in the first third of the season, competitive for the first half of the season, but we aren't anymore and we're still trending downward.

4 or 5 upgraded players won't get us to top spot in the league.  It will put us in the top half, which is where we need to be to not only make the playoffs, but have a chance of winning it all.

you didn't say 4 or 5 upgraded players, you said 4 or 5 difference makers, which implies star players. If we added 4 or 5 star players damn right this would be a top team. What we have here is something that makes sense to you but in reality is nonsense but you won't accept that your talking out your ass. A competitive team is a team that can compete and so far the Bombers are competing. You gotta stop trying to redefine words to suit your own crazy ideas. 

Well I can promise you we lose next week In Edmonton because I'll be in attendance...

For the good of the Bomber community you should chain yourself to the bed post on game day it that is all that will make them lose

:)

Is this some sort of bondage thing you're suggesting?

We will forever be rebuilding if we keep firing coaches every season or every other season. 

Bellefeuile has shown the last few weeks that he doesn't have the creativity to move this team forward.... this offence peaked in mid-summer.  I agree somewhat with not wanting to change the system year in & out....  and maybe he's not quite there yet, but I would not be opposed to canning Marcel and giving the keys to Buck for the rest of the season as a trial run!  I think with a full offseason to prepare, Buck could put together a better, more creative offence than what we're seeing right now.

I'm sure people are going to disagree with me... but really, there aren't a whole lot of other options out there that know the CFL game real well, are there!?

We will forever be rebuilding if we keep firing coaches every season or every other season.

Bellefeuile has shown the last few weeks that he doesn't have the creativity to move this team forward.... this offence peaked in mid-summer.  I agree somewhat with not wanting to change the system year in & out....  and maybe he's not quite there yet, but I would not be opposed to canning Marcel and giving the keys to Buck for the rest of the season as a trial run!  I think with a full offseason to prepare, Buck could put together a better, more creative offence than what we're seeing right now.

I'm sure people are going to disagree with me... but really, there aren't a whole lot of other options out there that know the CFL game real well, are there!?

Buck!?! LOL!

What makes you think Buck would be able to do anything? I mean, it's not like our rb's are doing a fantastic job with him as coach. The guy has yet to prove himself as a coach in any capacity.

and you don't think having our OLine back on their heels 80% of snaps has anything to do with that!?   the OLine hasn't improved at all this season, and that's a Walters issue.

I just think the play calling got stale a few games ago, and we're too easy to stop.  Maybe Buck isn't an option long term, and that's why you maybe give it a short test run.  I don't want to see Marcel back here next season, and I know I'm not the only one...

Did the offense peak midseason because of the play calling or because we haven't had our top receiver in the lineup since midseason?

and you don't think having our OLine back on their heels 80% of snaps has anything to do with that!?   the OLine hasn't improved at all this season, and that's a Walters issue.

I just think the play calling got stale a few games ago, and we're too easy to stop.  Maybe Buck isn't an option long term, and that's why you maybe give it a short test run.  I don't want to see Marcel back here next season, and I know I'm not the only one...

I can live with Bellefeuille as I think his playcalling works if he has better players. Our OL is terrible & that plays into a lot of our struggles offensively. But not Etcheverry & his defense. For us to continue to improve he really has to go. 

I don't believe you can point to one guy...  sure Moore is a big play guy, but Willy has still put up decent passing yardage without him.

Denmark has picked up the slack most of the season, which has been a pleasant surprise.  I had high hopes for Watson having a breakout season and staying healthy, but even when he's in, he really hasn't done much.

Just seems the last few games (and all 3 games vs SK), the O has been very predictable. 

The fire everyone versus not enough depth argument is interesting...

Wild goes down but instead of playing Kromah, we play Kuale - this is the coaches decision not a problem with depth

DL keeps rotating through Louie Richardson, Ameet Pall and even Jake Thomas even though none of these guys are quite good enough to be a starter

Moore goes down and we plug in Bryant and are content with the results

Grigsby goes essentially unchallenged for the whole season

The oline is so bad that Milt, Geroy and Bruce wouldn't make a difference at this point.

I actually think the OL now is better than the one Khari had for most of his time here and that never stopped the offense from being one of the most dangerous in the league. Having a RB who can break tackles and receivers who can make plays does a hell of a lot. 

The oline is so bad that Milt, Geroy and Bruce wouldn't make a difference at this point.

A strong receiving core makes the OL instantly better.

Disagree, it doesn't when the qb is hurried or on his back all game. Can't go thru his progressions or reads to find the open receiver. When a qb doesn't have time then it doesn't matter how good his receivers are. A great OL is the engine that drives the car. Great receivers are the hot paint job. 

I don't believe you can point to one guy...  sure Moore is a big play guy, but Willy has still put up decent passing yardage without him.

So we have decent passing stats without the best guy and you don't think getting the best guy doesn't make those stats better? And if the stats were better is the offense not also looking better? I think people are really under estimating how much having another reliable receiver in the lineup helps. It gives everyone more room and means we're not hoping the invisible man Aaron Kelly can show up. The difference between the offense now and the offense in the summer is in large part because we don't have that top guy in the lineup. 

The other thing I would suggest holds the offense back is an inconsistent runningback. 

other than improving the OL those are two areas that would really improve things. Top receiver back in the lineup and RB that can run through an arm tackle. 

A strong receiving core makes the OL instantly better.

Nah, it doesn't when the qb is hurried or on his back all game. Can't go thru his progressions or reads to find the open receiver. When a qb doesn't do that it doesn't matter how good the receivers are. A great OL is the engine that drives the car. Great receivers are the hot paint job. 

A great OL wins grey cups... but you can only protect so long unless someone is getting open...  you can't have one without the other.

Moore runs a nice, crisp route - Bryant does not... that is a huge difference for us right now.

Look at Cornish... Leads the league in rushing & has played FIVE games??? That guy is so much better than anybody else. And a difference maker. He doesn't go down easily. He'll run around over & through tacklers. Guy can beat you with power & speed. Now look at Grigsby. 

I actually think the OL now is better than the one Khari had for most of his time here and that never stopped the offense from being one of the most dangerous in the league. Having a RB who can break tackles and receivers who can make plays does a hell of a lot.

that line had the one of the best tackles in the league on it Dave Mudge

Grigsby was good his first few weeks, and whoever said it, has gone unchallenged the rest of the way, is bang on....  cutting Ford was a cap move, but they were essentially the same player.  Small, quick back.   Without some size in the backfield, we're just going to keep going through the same stuff.  We haven't had a bruiser in years.  Having a back that can help pick up some blocks on PA plays would help out our awful line too!  But... Walters would have to find someone down south and open up the chequebook!

that line had the one of the best tackles in the league on it Dave Mudge

but he's just one guy. Remember who was at the other tackle? 

Bellefeuille is a decent OC to have for a 1st year QB.

The receiving core has been proven to be good enough when we have our starters in, but the running game is a problem…a real problem.

And to me that's on Grigsby.

Good receiver out of the backfield, and his blocking is picking up, but when you can't get the yardage consistently, and can't get that 2 yards when needed, then we try those rinky-dink plays that hardly work.

A whole hell of a lot of passing plays would work a lot better with a better running back to complement the little schmo we have in there now.

That's not an insult..just the facts.

In my opinion, the OL is the engine that drives the offense, and unfortunately ours have been stuck in neutral the last few seasons. Without a good, event decent oline, i don't really think you stand much of a chance, we are playing 3 americans on the line and we still aren't good enough. Is the talent really that awful? I don't get how we could be playing 3 americans on the line and still be giving up all these sacks and still having willy being pressured every other play. Without time to throw, your offense has no chance, i'm not sure if they have been opening up many holes for grigsby or not, it doesn't really seem like it so i think i need to reserve judgement on grigsby until the oline is upgraded, With that being said tho, in the off season cuz you ain't gonna find a guy right now off the streets to come in and play the last 4 games, unless you want to give Cotton a shot, but i don't think he's an upgrade at all, i hope we bring in lots of competition at the tail back position, Grigsby deserves to be invited back for camp, But right now, i'd say he doesn't deserve to be guaranteed a job. 

I mean when zach evans and andrew marshall are consistently owning your asses, yeah the oline is a huge problem.