Kyle Walters interview

Mr. Perfect

Except Etch at DC is O'Shea's choice not Walters.

Nothing unusual there as head coaches often pick their own staffs.

I know, but Brice is stating that if Etch is still here next year, the blame should fall on Walters shoulders.  Which is incorrect.

Ok.  Etch is a big risk big reward type of guy.  No questioning his intelligence or his innovations but sometimes Etch can outthink himself.

I know, but Brice is stating that if Etch is still here next year, the blame should fall on Walters shoulders.  Which is incorrect.

Etch is O'Sheas call but what options did he have, apart from retreads even worse than Etch? 

Its Walters responsibility to steward the "vision" of the club, thereby attracting quality people. 

Right now we look like a young, athletic team with a lousy defense against the run and no o-line. Pass the buck or not, its still on Walters watch. 

Considering how the team has played the past 6 weeks, if Willy is healthy, we can look forward to a dogfight with a 50-50 chance of winning. If Willy is significantly less than at his best and/or we have to go to Brohm or Marve, all bets are off. If we can't beat Hamilton, we are out of the playoffs no matter what the mathematics say and if we lose against Ottawa (shudder), its paper bag time.

What would happen if we waited to see what will happen? 

Going against the grain I still maintain Grigsby goes as the oline goes.

Etch is O'Sheas call but what options did he have, apart from retreads even worse than Etch? 

Its Walters responsibility to steward the "vision" of the club, thereby attracting quality people. 

Right now we look like a young, athletic team with a lousy defense against the run and no o-line. Pass the buck or not, its still on Walters watch. 

Let's not forget that Walters/OShea went after Stubler before he ultimately signed with Calgary...  Bombers still rebuilding their reputation in the league.

It also has to do with who is available at the Defensive Coordinator spot, not just who's willing to come here.

Etch wasn't a bad signing. They went after Stubler, who would have been better, but what known defensive coordinator was available that would have been better.

I thought we passed (on) the Buck last year.

I thought we passed (on) the Buck last year.

Unfortunately the Buck bounced back...in another form mind you.

one and five WITH Willy - and that 'one' was against a Montreal team that started Alex Brink.

Yeah, why are they sticking with this bum?

If they were smart they'd put in the guy who started the first 6 games.  Now that guy was decent.

With a young starting QB and really newly rebuilt team people should be a bit more patient and a lot more impressed with how the Bombers are playing in a tough division.

1 - 5 in the division, including a 23 point loss to Edm and 17 point loss to the Lions. I don't know how to be impressed by that?

one and five WITH Willy - and that 'one' was against a Montreal team that started Alex Brink.

Yeah, why are they sticking with this bum?

If they were smart they'd put in the guy who started the first 6 games.  Now that guy was decent.

With a young starting QB and really newly rebuilt team people should be a bit more patient and a lot more impressed with how the Bombers are playing in a tough division.

1 - 5 in the division, including a 23 point loss to Edm and 17 point loss to the Lions. I don't know how to be impressed by that?

Those losses where 100% willy's fault too......smh

Funny, Walters admits that there is a problem with getting the running game up to par but the Bombers have done little with personnel to address that issue. Most other CFL teams have been switching RB's in and out and experimenting with different combinations while the Bombers stand pat with Grigsby as the lone back and the worst team rushing stats. in the league.

Name one team that switched out their running back for something other than an injury or a problem with ball security.

Sask., Edmonton, Toronto, B.C., Calgary, Montreal, Hamilton have all used more than one  RB's during games to mix things up.  Bombers are the only team that has relied on a single back so as to not confuse their opponents with trickery. 

Why are you defending the Bombers approach to running?  The stats. speak.

We've used Paris Cotton, Troy Stoudermire, Carl Volny and MP Pontbriand out of the backfield at certain times this season. I'm defending their approach because the impression you have is wrong.

Dis agree they have Tried all those players one attempt isn't a fair try...Cotton is the only one that had a decent chance at RB, I would argue Cotton is too similar to Grisby we need a Power RB to change things up once in a while.

Considering how the team has played the past 6 weeks, if Willy is healthy, we can look forward to a dogfight with a 50-50 chance of winning. If Willy is significantly less than at his best and/or we have to go to Brohm or Marve, all bets are off. If we can't beat Hamilton, we are out of the playoffs no matter what the mathematics say and if we lose against Ottawa (shudder), its paper bag time.

This team is the furthest from a paper bag team...give your head a shake!

Funny, Walters admits that there is a problem with getting the running game up to par but the Bombers have done little with personnel to address that issue. Most other CFL teams have been switching RB's in and out and experimenting with different combinations while the Bombers stand pat with Grigsby as the lone back and the worst team rushing stats. in the league.

Name one team that switched out their running back for something other than an injury or a problem with ball security.

In the following article Paul LaPolice explains how the extra two D.I.'s allowed for 2014 have changed the running game in the CFL.

http://www.tsn.ca/lapolice-what-s-happened-to-running-backs-this-year-1.90899

Here is an outtake from that article.

One of the most important things to understand with this roster size now is that you have the ability to plan and practice expecting to have the DI available to you if you are a coordinator because of the four spots. In previous years with less DI's, often the DI would be decided depending on the health status of your roster. For example, you may have to dress an Import DI receiver because one of your starting import receivers is banged up and may not play the whole game. If you normally used a DI running back, you would have to make the switch and take the DI running back off the roster and replace him with DI wide receiver.  Nowadays, you can have both on the roster and still be able to gameplan for the roster spot as a DI running back.

So how does all that relate to running back rushing yards? Teams are allowed to break up the rushing job to more than one back and are able to build packages with two tailbacks in the game at the same time. Edmonton has utilized this by having Kendial Lawrence and Tyler Thomas on the roster. They can split carries as well as be in the game at the same time and have plays designed for each other. Lawrence is 11th in rushing and Thomas is 16th. Add their rushing yards together and they would lead the CFL in rushing. Edmonton also has Jon White, who has also rushed for 334 yards this season but is on the six-game injured list.  

Saskatchewan also has had success with using multiple import running backs on the roster. Anthony Allen leads the Riders with 593 yards which puts him third in rushing in the CFL. Will Ford is sixth in rushing with 425 yards and is able to be part of a 1-2 punch that the Riders rushing attack will hit defences with.  

Toronto has utilized several different backfield combinations this season but normally carry two import running backs. Curtis Steele is eighth in rushing with 437 yards and a healthy Steve Slaton is starting to come on with 224 yards so far.  

Montreal is fun to watch with Brandon Whitaker, who leads the CFL with 695 yards and they can also line up with Tyrell Sutton in the backfield. Sutton gets the opportunity to prove his worth and not have to wait for an injury to the starter to be on the roster.

Not nitpicking, just clarifying, there is only one extra DI spot now.  The second extra game day roster spot is for a NI, not a DI.

The extra DI spot (goodness knows I don't want to open up this stupid can of worms again) is one of a few reasons that a certain unnamed NI RB wasn't relevant to the Bombers offensive plans this year.  At this point it seems that they're content to use that spot for other purposes.

Not nitpicking, just clarifying, there is only one extra DI spot now.  The second extra game day roster spot is for a NI, not a DI.

The extra DI spot (goodness knows I don't want to open up this stupid can of worms again) is one of a few reasons that a certain unnamed NI RB wasn't relevant to the Bombers offensive plans this year.  At this point it seems that they're content to use that spot for other purposes.

Ahhh, you're probably right, I likely misinterpreted it.  I suspect the Bombers injury travails have been the determining factor in deciding were the D.I.'s play this season.  No excuse for next season though, I wanna see 2-3 RB options available for every game.  Mono-iz-no-goodo.