Braley turning into a slumlord for Argos

Fatty Liver

Didn't Braley nix the sale to MLSE or something?

Wasn't he just asking too much so MLSE walked away?

Anyone know what he paid for the team?  I thought the going rate to buy the Argos has been $1 for years now. Just a willingness to pay the bills until it hurts too much.

Braley bought the team for $0 just took over the team debt and pulled Cynamon and Sokolowski's line of credit that they had with him.

Money quote from Lysko:

"He pays the bills. Great. If that's your criteria for good ownership, that's fine. But I'm not sure it should be good enough for the CFL. That a guy doesn't not pay his bills. There should be a higher level of responsibility in terms of infrastructure and staff. But the league has no leverage to try and correct this situation. (Braley) can do whatever he wants. He's a poor operator. And he's always been a poor operator."

Lots of what he said there is what has been said here.  Having one person own two teams is more than just poor optics.

I always liked Lysko as a commish. Always did what he could under difficult circumstances.

I think it will come to a crisis point over the upcoming off-season.  Whether it will be resolved or not remains to be seen.

Money quote from Lysko:

"He pays the bills. Great. If that's your criteria for good ownership, that's fine. But I'm not sure it should be good enough for the CFL. That a guy doesn't not pay his bills. There should be a higher level of responsibility in terms of infrastructure and staff. But the league has no leverage to try and correct this situation. (Braley) can do whatever he wants. He's a poor operator. And he's always been a poor operator."

Lots of what he said there is what has been said here.  Having one person own two teams is more than just poor optics.

I always liked Lysko as a commish. Always did what he could under difficult circumstances.

I think it will come to a crisis point over the upcoming off-season.  Whether it will be resolved or not remains to be seen.

Plan B is MLSE hammering out a deal with Big Dave to take the thing off his hands.

Plan C is someone else (maybe a hick like Bob Young who just sold his hi-tech company for nearly a billion)

Plan D would be the CFL operating them with monies originally destined for the other 8 teams going directly into a pot to keep the Argos afloat.

Plan E and this would be a complete dog's breakfast would be for Braley to put in a fixed amount for 2015 (approx. 1 million), the league pumping in 2 million with the rest coming from seat sales and promotions; perhaps Mark Cohon could be interim CEO of the argos until the ownership situation resolves.

2015 dispersal draft here we come. :D

We're bringing Coombs back.

If you like the CFL, you shouldn't be cheering for the Toronto franchise to fold. It'd be awful for the league.

Can you explain why?

Toronto is like the problem child for the CFL for many years now. And what the league should do if no one wants to buy the team from Braley?

Are you kidding. The centre of Canada's media? Losing Toronto would be massive. They need a good owner and better facility

Maybe Vince McMahon would be interested again ;)

Now I may be overreacting but isn't it interesting that Mark Cohon is getting out of dodge now? It's all well and good that the CFL is healthy in a lot of markets, and that they are back in Ottawa, but if they end up losing Toronto (I know. Likely won't happen but), then a lot of this has to fall on Cohon's shoulders. Even if they don't lose Toronto, the state that their franchise has been left in is terrible. Seems a bit cowardly on Cohon to quit now.

Now I may be overreacting but isn't it interesting that Mark Cohon is getting out of dodge now? It's all well and good that the CFL is healthy in a lot of markets, and that they are back in Ottawa, but if they end up losing Toronto (I know. Likely won't happen but), then a lot of this has to fall on Cohon's shoulders. Even if they don't lose Toronto, the state that their franchise has been left in is terrible. Seems a bit cowardly on Cohon to quit now.

Heard Cohon is probably moving onto work with MLSE so hopefully he will be able to assist the Argos from the other side of the equation.

The dirty little secret about the CFL is that comissioners serve at Braleys leisure so what's to say that Cohon isn't leaving because he took a stand against lord Braley? 

The dirty little secret about the CFL is that comissioners serve at Braleys leisure so what's to say that Cohon isn't leaving because he took a stand against lord Braley? 

Anything is possible, that's why I stated that I may be overreacting. It would be terrible though for a new commish to move in and have to pick up blame for the Argo situation.

Just saw a tweet from CFL News that says a deal to move the Argos to BMO field is almost complete.

That tweet was in reference to Rod Pederson's blog.

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2014/09/daytona-homes-friday-rodservations.html

13 - Everybody's talking about the plight of the Toronto Argonauts.  Their staff has been stripped to the bare bones and there's talk head coach Scott Milanovich wants out after this year because the whole outfit doesn't meet professional standards.  Who knows who will end up owning the team once David Braley finally gives up the reins but there are better days ahead.  A deal is nearly complete to see the Argos move to the outdoor BMO Field within a few seasons and many feel that will save pro football in Toronto.  As far as the NFL in Toronto goes, forget it.

Isn't "CFL News" some guy in Regina with absolutely no affiliation to the CFL?

Essentially CFL_News is a huge CFL fan, who retweets pretty much every single story out there referencing the CFL.

I'm not sure how accurate that CFL News twitter feed is but... just based on nothing but rumours or a gut feeling, i feel that it's only a matter of time before the argos move in to BMO field, probably not until it's upgraded so not next season but the season after but I truly feel it's just a matter of time. Normally where there is smoke there is fire and there seems to be a lot of smoke when it comes to argos going to BMO. 

Just saw a tweet from CFL News that says a deal to move the Argos to BMO field is almost complete.

That tweet was in reference to Rod Pederson's blog.

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2014/09/daytona-homes-friday-rodservations.html

13 - Everybody's talking about the plight of the Toronto Argonauts.  Their staff has been stripped to the bare bones and there's talk head coach Scott Milanovich wants out after this year because the whole outfit doesn't meet professional standards.  Who knows who will end up owning the team once David Braley finally gives up the reins but there are better days ahead.  A deal is nearly complete to see the Argos move to the outdoor BMO Field within a few seasons and many feel that will save pro football in Toronto.  As far as the NFL in Toronto goes, forget it.

Isn't "CFL News" some guy in Regina with absolutely no affiliation to the CFL?

Essentially CFL_News is a huge CFL fan, who retweets pretty much every single story out there referencing the CFL.

So I normally would not consider him a valid source unless he showed his sources.

Now if his source is Rod Pederson, I'm not sure that's much of an improvement.

However, for the sake of the CFL, I hope there's some truth behind it and not just more of Pederson throwing out his crazy ideas as facts.