Braley turning into a slumlord for Argos

Fatty Liver

2015 dispersal draft here we come. :D

We're bringing Coombs back.

If you like the CFL, you shouldn't be cheering for the Toronto franchise to fold. It'd be awful for the league.

Can you explain why?

Toronto is like the problem child for the CFL for many years now. And what the league should do if no one wants to buy the team from Braley?

The collapse of the franchise is not an option, like it or not. The TSN deal would be significantly modified with the loss of Toronto due to the market size in Toronto. Hate TO and the Toronto Sports Network all you like this is a critical problem. The absence of a stadium solution makes someone buying the franchise less than desirable.

As much as I'd love to not care what happens to the Argos, without them I fear we'd see a lot less CFL games on TV, or worse.

Which is why it's almost criminal what the "Savior" David Braley is doing right now. I thought Lysko's comment in that article about needing a higher bar set for what is a "good owner" was interesting - it was almost word for word what someone else had said in the Argos thread the other day.

I guess it's nice to proven right about him again.

I don't think there is going to be any steps taken in Toronto towards a new facility for the Argos until the Buffalo Bills situation is sorted out. That may be the biggest threat to the CFL.

There will be no Bills in the Toronto. That ship has sailed.

I don't think there is going to be any steps taken in Toronto towards a new facility for the Argos until the Buffalo Bills situation is sorted out. That may be the biggest threat to the CFL.

IIRC, Bluto was pretty certain the renovations to BMO Field would still include making the facility usable for the CFL. 

Get them into BMO field and a lot of things will be better.  Is that over-simplifying things?

MLSE is looking for financial contributions in terms of loans, not grants.  MLSE wants to pay the funds back.  The various levels of government need to iron this out and make it happen. You can't have the nation's largest city without a team in the CFL.  

Toronto is big league always has want to be, and always will want to be. In 1955 Maudie met Harry Shonshine on a cruise. In 1954 Harry, like Brailey, another "rich fan", decided his hapless Argos were tired of being the door mats of the league. As a member of the team exec, he secretly met in a Winnipeg hotel room led a coup, and hatched a plan to rebuild the boatmen. That winter he fired the 12 "imports", raided several NFL teams and almost started a war between the "Big Four" (the Eastern Conference), and the NFL. His coach Frank Clair quit, and we know how that turned out.

It's time for Toronto to fulfill its destiny, to become what they always knew they could be! what they should be! Harry where are you when we need you?

Money quote from Lysko:

"He pays the bills. Great. If that's your criteria for good ownership, that's fine. But I'm not sure it should be good enough for the CFL. That a guy doesn't not pay his bills. There should be a higher level of responsibility in terms of infrastructure and staff. But the league has no leverage to try and correct this situation. (Braley) can do whatever he wants. He's a poor operator. And he's always been a poor operator."

Lots of what he said there is what has been said here.  Having one person own two teams is more than just poor optics.

It is my understanding that the Rogers Centre does not meet the requirements for a NFL franchise.

For sure. Also, the Toronto team bidding for the Bills is a long-shot at best. They are literally "Living on a Prayer."

A couple of days ago one of the major backers of the move backed out-can't recall who.

Toronto will be okay but need to be in a more appropriate facility sooner rather then later. TV audience alone in the GTA shows an interest in the CFL that should lead to 25-26K fans in the stands.

Perhaps they should share Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton until further notice. Tiny problem when Toronto plays Hamilton but I suspect Hammy doesn't have more than 14,000 season ticket holders and Toronto might have 2,000. If its a big playoff game (eastern final) and Toronto has home field advantage then use the bloody Skydome and jam 20,000 fans into that cavern of doom.

Only thing you'd have to do is enhance bus transport to Hamilton for the 2,000 or so season ticket holders - whats Hammy to Toronto? about 40 miles?

Money quote from Lysko:

"He pays the bills. Great. If that's your criteria for good ownership, that's fine. But I'm not sure it should be good enough for the CFL. That a guy doesn't not pay his bills. There should be a higher level of responsibility in terms of infrastructure and staff. But the league has no leverage to try and correct this situation. (Braley) can do whatever he wants. He's a poor operator. And he's always been a poor operator."

Lots of what he said there is what has been said here.  Having one person own two teams is more than just poor optics.

I always liked Lysko as a commish. Always did what he could under difficult circumstances.

Well seems as though everyone is in the know now about the Argonauts situation.

The problem is, with no one else willing to take over the team, how much longer will this situation continue on ?

Didn't Braley nix the sale to MLSE or something?

Bunch of different rumours and numbers flying around.

- Braley wanted $20 million for the Argos

- Braley wanted $10-15 million + piece of NFL team if it ever came to Toronto

- Braley wanted $10 million + future Grey Cup revenue

- MLSE was only willing to pay $8-10 million

- Rogers nixed sale due to Bell and Rogers having to vote as a block

- Tanenbaum and Leiweke wanted to bring Argos in, Bell and Rogers do not.