O'Shea hands away the LDC

White Out

I can't remember when during the game when this happened but it was 2nd 3 and Willy attempted a 30 yarder that once again our receiver gave up on.   The camera then panned to Osh and he looked like he didn't like the play call.  He seemed pissed off.    At the time we were trailing and the offence was struggling to get first downs.  To me we had success at the beginning of the game with the short passing game but then went away from it.     Bellefeuile seems to script out the entire game but isn't willing to deviate from it based on either the score or what the defence is showing. 

Post game inteview, O'Shea was more upset about his decision to give up the 2 pt. safety in the first half than his decision to kick the F.G.  He put the game in the hands of the D. to stop the Riders and they couldn't do it.  As Doug Brown said if they would have played a conventional balanced front 7 against the run they would have had a better chance of stopping them but with Etch he never plays it straight even when the D he's running is ineffective.

Etch's scheme gives a chance to win every game. We have the talent in the secondary and on the d line but our lb corps is lacking. This is still a rebuilding year, as much as everyone doesnt want to hear that. Shalom

Secondary is good, but we could use another Nose Tackle and a dominant DE. We also need to keep Kromah in with Wild at WLB. Etch is to stubborn to admit his D doesn't work and will keep going like this untill he gets fired

Good luck. With Etch as DC, that's never going to happen.

I can't remember when during the game when this happened but it was 2nd 3 and Willy attempted a 30 yarder that once again our receiver gave up on.   The camera then panned to Osh and he looked like he didn't like the play call.  He seemed pissed off.    At the time we were trailing and the offence was struggling to get first downs.  To me we had success at the beginning of the game with the short passing game but then went away from it.     Bellefeuile seems to script out the entire game but isn't willing to deviate from it based on either the score or what the defence is showing. 

About 4 minutes left in the half. Grigsby had yet to touch the ball on 2nd down and wouldn't until the second half.

About 4 minutes left in the half. Grigsby had yet to touch the ball on 2nd down and wouldn't until the second half.

We had a really nice mix of run and pass in the first half and for most of this game...  I don't mind the 2nd and 3 call at all.

The only missed call in this game was time management just before the half and not trying to get a mid-range pass to get us into field goal position.  The George sack was a coverage sack because I think we were looking deep and not 8-10 yards.

I don't understand how you can say a receiver gave up on a ball. That would imply that the ball was catchable and the effort wasn't there. I would disagree.

Those three long ball throws were ever so close to being game changers, so I don't mind the aggressive play calls. We were playing to win.

Coaches get criticized all the time for doing this and not doing that, so I can understand disagreeing with the play calls, but as I said, saying the effort wasn't there, is just wrong.

I don't understand how you can say a receiver gave up on a ball. That would imply that the ball was catchable and the effort wasn't there. I would disagree.

Those three long ball throws were ever so close to being game changers, so I don't mind the aggressive play calls. We were playing to win.

Coaches get criticized all the time for doing this and not doing that, so I can understand disagreeing with the play calls, but as I said, saying the effort wasn't there, is just wrong.

I agree that the receiver didn't give up on the ball...but this is the 2nd time in 2 games where we were 2nd and 3 at important times in the games, and a long pass which does not have a high probability of being completed was called. At this juncture of this game...it should have been all about ball control and first downs and it wasn't!

We had a really nice mix of run and pass in the first half and for most of this game...  I don't mind the 2nd and 3 call at all.

The only missed call in this game was time management just before the half and not trying to get a mid-range pass to get us into field goal position.  The George sack was a coverage sack because I think we were looking deep and not 8-10 yards.

I wouldn't say nice. 6 carries on first down for 12 yards. It was predictable. Bellefeuille adjusted in the second half, working in playaction on first down and running on second down.

I agree that the receiver didn't give up on the ball...but this is the 2nd time in 2 games where we were 2nd and 3 at important times in the games, and a long pass which does not have a high probability of being completed was called. At this juncture of this game...it should have been all about ball control and first downs and it wasn't!

Would you have rather than handed off to Grigsby and got stuffed after a 1 yard gain? There's nothing wrong with taking a shot downfield. Bottom line whatever play you call you have to execute it. 

I wouldn't say nice. 6 carries on first down for 12 yards. It was predictable. Bellefeuille adjusted in the second half, working in playaction on first down and running on second down.

Well, I will never argue that we need a new RB... I am officially off the Grigsby bandwagon.

But, I still like MB - he ran outside a bit, changed it up - called a screen or two on first down.

I mean not as predictable as Cortez putting Messam in on first down and Dressler on second...  

If MB has Thigpen or Messam, its a different game.

I would also venture that if we had Matthews or say Taj Smith instead of Kelly, its a different game as well.

What about calling JT Gilmore (rumor is he is in Winnipeg visiting his GF) he can play linebacker as well as DL and he is 6'3" 275 they could sub him in when Messham comes into the game. It still make me wonder what the bomber where thinking when they passed on Messham but on a positive note Volney actually looked good on his 2 plays. Maybe they should use him more ? Volney seems to run harder that Grisby ...

Would you have rather than handed off to Grigsby and got stuffed after a 1 yard gain? There's nothing wrong with taking a shot downfield. Bottom line whatever play you call you have to execute it. 

you're right because MB continues to run Grigsby between the guard and tackle.  yes, that is not working.  We have to try and get him the ball and let him use his speed to the outside but of course he needs some blocking too.  

Or way not try Pontbriand and see if he can fight thru the first tackle.  We saw  yesterday that he can be the hammer.  

The thing that I like about Etchs D is that all of the different alignments make it difficult for offences to key on weak spots. Remember a few years ago when Labbe got owned by Whitaker at the MLB spot...in a traditional 40 set, (4 down lineman and 3 backers) I dont believe our D would be effective at all given our personnel and the ratio...ie having to start Thomas on the line and Sherman at WIL. They are doing well in this system but would be owned in a system like Burke's for example.

Etch's system seems to smooth over those weak spots...given our National personnel and the limited depth...its a great system....but...on the last drive I noticed and even Brown noticed that we weren't lining up 2 DT over the centre...result being huge runs right up the gut.

I commented some time ago that not going after Ted Laurent a National DT and upgrade to our National DT depth...was a mistake because we needed to start 2 Nationals on D and our depth was Thomas and Richardson at DT...no matter what system you run on D...if you're not strong up the middle you will get owned...Etch's apparent disregard of this simple fact is the most troubling aspect of D IMHO

Good summation and for the most part Etch's system works well.  The weaknesses of his defence to the run has been well known for years but few teams have invested in the running game as heavily as the RRs so it isn't often exposed.  When he was originally hired my hope was that O'Shea would reign him in somewhat and I still think before the end of this season that is going to happen.

The Bomber D is making personnel changes on almost every play to adjust to the game but they just don't have the heavy horses to deal with a strong running game like Sask. has.  This is something that can be improved and it's hard to believe Mike O'Shea is going to stand pat with the current lineup after witnessing that last drive.  Hopefully Walters will be filling the P.R. with "meaty" LB candidates by seasons end.

In a way this back to back series with the Riders is a blessing because we will get to see how Etch copes with a repeat performance.

you're right because MB continues to run Grigsby between the guard and tackle.  yes, that is not working.  We have to try and get him the ball and let him use his speed to the outside but of course he needs some blocking too.  

Or way not try Pontbriand and see if he can fight thru the first tackle.  We saw  yesterday that he can be the hammer.  

I'm thinking Pontbriand might be a good fill in for LB, he's 230 lbs. and he seems to like to hit people.  Knapp could also be a candidate.

The thing that I like about Etchs D is that all of the different alignments make it difficult for offences to key on weak spots. Remember a few years ago when Labbe got owned by Whitaker at the MLB spot...in a traditional 40 set, (4 down lineman and 3 backers) I dont believe our D would be effective at all given our personnel and the ratio...ie having to start Thomas on the line and Sherman at WIL. They are doing well in this system but would be owned in a system like Burke's for example.

Etch's system seems to smooth over those weak spots...given our National personnel and the limited depth...its a great system....but...on the last drive I noticed and even Brown noticed that we weren't lining up 2 DT over the centre...result being huge runs right up the gut.

I commented some time ago that not going after Ted Laurent a National DT and upgrade to our National DT depth...was a mistake because we needed to start 2 Nationals on D and our depth was Thomas and Richardson at DT...no matter what system you run on D...if you're not strong up the middle you will get owned...Etch's apparent disregard of this simple fact is the most troubling aspect of D IMHO

Good summation and for the most part Etch's system works well.  The weaknesses of his defence to the run has been well known for years but few teams have invested in the running game as heavily as the RRs so it isn't often exposed.  When he was originally hired my hope was that O'Shea would reign him in somewhat and I still think before the end of this season that is going to happen.

The Bomber D is making personnel changes on almost every play to adjust to the game but they just don't have the heavy horses to deal with a strong running game like Sask. has.  This is something that can be improved and it's hard to believe Mike O'Shea is going to stand pat with the current lineup after witnessing that last drive.  Hopefully Walters will be filling the P.R. with "meaty" LB candidates by seasons end.

In a way this back to back series with the Riders is a blessing because we will get to see how Etch copes with a repeat performance.

I sure hope we see Kromah and Sears in the lineup for the Banjo Bowl...

Would like to see this front seven... I'd even move Fraser or Vega inside just to see if it works.  I like Greg Peach but him AND Thomas are too similar to have on the line together and just not quite fast enough.

Anderson-Thomas-Vega-Turner  (with Vega and Turner rotating)

Sherman-Kromah-Wild  (with Sears rotating)

Others might disagree but I didn't see any closing speed from Kuale or Dunn and I also put that Taj Smith TD on Washington feeling like he had to cover for Dunn as much as anything.  If your WIL is not getting tackles, he should be getting QB hurries or sacks... Dunn is just not performing.

Others might disagree but I didn't see any closing speed from Kuale or Dunn and I also put that Taj Smith TD on Washington feeling like he had to cover for Dunn as much as anything.  If your WIL is not getting tackles, he should be getting QB hurries or sacks... Dunn is just not performing.

Speed isn't the issue for either player, I don't see the problems everyone else does with Dunn, I think he's just a whipping boy because he's not Ian Wild making tackles all over the field.

As for Kuale, he is the quintessential million dollar athlete 10 cent brain player. Got a great set of physical tools, not smart enough to figure out how to be as effective a player as he could be. 

I get so tired of hearing Suitor drone on about conventional wisdom and the "right calls".  There has been a lot of statistical analysis of the American game which demonstrates that many these "right calls" are dead wrong -- David Romer did one study.  NFL coaches still mostly ignore this.  Not sure why we have to be just as stupid in the CFL. 

The "right call" was to go for it.

Gutless, cowardly call. Now the yokels get to power drink and have cousin lovin' tonight after the 10th straight ldc loss.

this one is on:

1= our worthless defence 

2= reffing, specifically a blatant missed offside on the game winning drive

3= osheas call

Go ahead, slam away.

and we should care what you say because........?

Gutless, cowardly call. Now the yokels get to power drink and have cousin lovin' tonight after the 10th straight ldc loss.

this one is on:

1= our worthless defence 

3= osheas call

Go ahead, slam away.

lol. i dunno, its as if we all signed up for a discussion forum or something. weird hey?

this one is on:

1= our worthless defence 

3= osheas call

Go ahead, slam away.

lol. i dunno, its as if we all signed up for a discussion forum or something. weird hey?

for sure but... how many times are you gonna say the same thing? People said in chat that you were going on and on too, i wasn't there and the reason i don't go on chat during a game is because of posters like yourself or roadgriller who try to take over, but there comes a time where it's enough really, discussions are nice, repeating things constantly gets old, the thread title? it's a joke, it has to be, I'll bet you are taking a lot of heat for being a bandwagon jumper. 

Wait hang on now I'm a bandwagon jumper? Lol. Wow. O'Shea has a lot of street cred with the kiddies it seems.

Just saying dude, you have 25 posts and those 25 posts are all crapping all over the team and O'shea. What do you expect people to think?

The thread title is a joke and immature and just flat out wrong and uninformed. . 

O'Shea has done a lot of good things and changed the culture no doubt. Even if the field goal call was questionable, he's made many other great in game decisions that make me feel like he should be given the benefit of the doubt. His roster management, however, is atrocious and should absolutely be questioned.

I'm no kid for sure, but O'Shea has a lot of credit with me.

Count me in with those who don't like the way you disparaged our Head Coach with that title for this thread.

You may have disagreed with the call but don't pretend yours is the only opinion, or that yours is the more correct.

When someone equates me being a bandwagon fan for calling out our coach for a bad call I don't give said person much credit.