Jim Bell out as Bombers COO

gbill2004

Jim Bell is a top-notch individual.  IMO if he was ever given the full title of team president after Bauer, a lot of pain would have been saved.

I always wondered why Garth got the job instead of him.

Because Garth was an easy target to pin the stadium delays on.  That was their plan from the start.  Bring in someone and blame the stadium delays on him, then fire him.

Way more to it than that... I don't pretend to know the details of why Buchko was hired other than he was involved with CJOB in senior mgmt & they are the radio broadcast rights holders paying the Bombers decent coin for it so I'm thinking that had a lot  to do with why he was hired. . 

Timing of Bell being fired is interesting. Trying to free up some money to sign Dressler?

Bell had a pretty modest cap hit, his deal was mostly incentive driven, based on games started at QB.

I assume you are being sarcastic here.  While there is a salary cap, my guess is that the Bombers have an internal overall budget handed down by the board, and aren't necessarily spending to the new cap this year.  So if Wade wants to spend more on the football side, the board could tell him that's fine, but he can't exceed the overall budget.  Would just be shuffling money around from the admin budget to the football operations.  I'm just speculating, but that's how it would be done in practice. 

Timing of Bell being fired is interesting. Trying to free up some money to sign Dressler?

Bell had a pretty modest cap hit, his deal was mostly incentive driven, based on games started at QB.

I assume you are being sarcastic here.  While there is a salary cap, my guess is that the Bombers have an internal overall budget handed down by the board, and aren't necessarily spending to the new cap this year.  So if Wade wants to spend more on the football side, the board could tell him that's fine, but he can't exceed the overall budget.  Would just be shuffling money around from the admin budget to the football operations.  I'm just speculating, but that's how it would be done in practice. 

I would definitely agree there's an overall budget internally, but 150k against a salary cap we're well under shouldn't require any restructuring of anything.

I would definitely agree there's an overall budget internally, but 150k against a salary cap we're well under shouldn't require any restructuring of anything.

Just because the cap is $5 million this year doesn't mean the Bombers can/will spend to the cap.  Like I said, the BOD likely gives Wade an overall budget and Wade spends however he wants in terms of how much he allocates to football ops and how much he allocates to the administrative side of the organization.  With all the firings recently on the admin side, and the increase in coaching staff, I think its clear Wade is shifting financial resources in the overall budget from admin to football ops. 

Gotta be honest Gbill, I thought your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek before.

Gotta be honest Gbill, I thought your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek before.

I'm purely speculating and it's probably just a big coincidence, but I do find the timing extremely interesting.  Jim Bell fired on the exact same day Weston Dressler becomes a free agent?  Gotta admit that's somewhat interesting.

Plus I love conspiracy theories ;)

Just because the cap is $5 million this year doesn't mean the Bombers can/will spend to the cap.  Like I said, the BOD likely gives Wade an overall budget and Wade spends however he wants in terms of how much he allocates to football ops and how much he allocates to the administrative side of the organization.  With all the firings recently on the admin side, and the increase in coaching staff, I think its clear Wade is shifting financial resources in the overall budget from admin to football ops. 

Let me pitch it to you this way. Dressler was cut on Monday. Do you really think the decision to remove a position such as vice president from the company structure was a decision they made in less than 24 hours?

Let me pitch it to you this way. Dressler was cut on Monday. Do you really think the decision to remove a position such as vice president from the company structure was a decision they made in less than 24 hours?

I'm sure Wade has been planning it for a while, but the timing of when he pulled the trigger is interesting.  Like I say, I fully realize its probably a coincidence, but it is a nice juicy conspiracy theory to discuss ;)

no it's not worth discussing...

I'm sure Wade has been planning it for a while, but the timing of when he pulled the trigger is interesting.  Like I say, I fully realize its probably a coincidence, but it is a nice juicy conspiracy theory to discuss ;)

I assume you are being sarcastic here. While there is a salary cap, my guess is that the Bombers have an internal overall budget handed down by the board, and aren't necessarily spending to the new cap this year. So if Wade wants to spend more on the football side, the board could tell him that's fine, but he can't exceed the overall budget. Would just be shuffling money around from the admin budget to the football operations. I'm just speculating, but that's how it would be done in practice.

Just because the cap is $5 million this year doesn't mean the Bombers can/will spend to the cap. Like I said, the BOD likely gives Wade an overall budget and Wade spends however he wants in terms of how much he allocates to football ops and how much he allocates to the administrative side of the organization. With all the firings recently on the admin side, and the increase in coaching staff, I think its clear Wade is shifting financial resources in the overall budget from admin to football ops.

Let me pitch it to you this way. Dressler was cut on Monday. Do you really think the decision to remove a position such as vice president from the company structure was a decision they made in less than 24 hours?

no it's not worth discussing...

I'm sure Wade has been planning it for a while, but the timing of when he pulled the trigger is interesting. Like I say, I fully realize its probably a coincidence, but it is a nice juicy conspiracy theory to discuss ;)

Then don't. No one forced you to.

Wade is a very business-regimented person.  He has dealt with personnel for a long time. 

An acquaintance of mine who is a Bison alumni, has told me that Wade can rub people the wrong way sometimes with his business style and approach to things that he is involved in.  The fact that is that it was Wade and Bell that didn't see eye-to-eye, and that doesn't surprise me in the least.  

It doesn't make the decision a bad one either.  

In a previous life, I did a little business with Wade. 

I found him very sharp but also extremely "me-focused," to the point that I found myself avoiding his call. 

That said, I got it -- he was trying to eke out every last dollar to further his interests. I would think less of him if he didn't do that. 

Still wouldn't want to deal with him every day. 

Never have been, never will be a fan of Wade-hot dog-chaser Miller.

We may have improved on the field but it's still the same ol' boys club at the top.

IMO, Bell is another victim of 'blame the last regime' without actually changing the people who control the club with their dirty little fingers.

Me as well.  The Bannon dismissal did not bother me one bit though.  He was hit and miss service wise for me.  One time he was a total dumb a$$ to me.  Glad Bannon is gone

Holy crap, talk about throwing around rumour and innuendo. The anti-Miller crowd is out in full force.

Seems to me changes from the past were in order and it looks like the changes mostly have been positive. 

Bell, as COO, has a nice ring to it, but if he's not "in" with the plan, I guess they had to move on.

Miller and Walters seem to be on the same plan long range and goal-wise and that's, at least, a very good start.

What I've also 'figured out' is that winning, also starts with 'W,' and I've already seen proof of that.

Was Miller EVER really liked by fans?   And I don't count the people that call into the post-game show.

His best moment as a player was stepping in front of Asper when that idiot went on his hissy fit.  But now, he's back on the board.  Which makes me shiver..............

The fact that they aren't going to go out and hire another COO and VP says all any of us really need to know.

That is an excellent point. I've worked in several companies that had a "VP and COO" and in every case it was an empty title as no one could figure out what exactly it was that this person actually did. It reminded me of that scene from Office Space:

Holy crap, talk about throwing around rumour and innuendo. The anti-Miller crowd is out in full force.

Seems to me changes from the past were in order and it looks like the changes mostly have been positive. 

Bell, as COO, has a nice ring to it, but if he's not "in" with the plan, I guess they had to move on.

Miller and Walters seem to be on the same plan long range and goal-wise and that's, at least, a very good start.

What I've also 'figured out' is that winning, also starts with 'W,' and I've already seen proof of that.

Was Miller EVER really liked by fans?   And I don't count the people that call into the post-game show.

His best moment as a player was stepping in front of Asper when that idiot went on his hissy fit.  But now, he's back on the board.  Which makes me shiver..............

What does Miller the football player have to do with Miller the team president?  Does being an unpopular player means he can't be a good executive?  If Milt were running the show, instead of Miller, and doing a piss poor job of it, would you cut him slack because you like the way he played?

I was never a fan of Miller when he played, but I do like a lot of what he's done to turn the team around since he took over.

The only thing I'll say regarding the post about it being an old boys club, Miller came in and got rid of some of them "old boys". Not really sure those posts really make sense.

Unless people are referring to the BOD, but the BOD has removed a few older guys and added a few new younger guys and gals for that matter.

Thinks are a changing, for years and years people referred to us as a gong show, Bell might have been a nice guy, Bannon too, Others also but... Times, they are a changing.

I'm fine with whatever decision Miller makes. He knows what he is doing regardless of some pretty obvious personal shots a few posters have taken against him. People talk about Ameet Pall kicking Iso's dog on the other thread, Well apparently Miller has done the same to a few on here too. 

It's a business after all. 

You mean adding Asper???  That is exactly the old boys club bs from before.  Asper needs to get far away from any authority with this team.  Forever!  That family have been nothing but screw ups since Izzy died.

Asper has been around longer than Miller has been. Say what you will about Asper and all that, but without him, there is no new stadium. Facts be damned, Asper has done a lot of good for the team the last few years. People can talk about location all they want but for most the city, st james wasn't the easiest place to get too either. Fact of the matter is, Asper has been on that board for a long time now, without him, there is no new stadium. The guy might be emotional at times, but you know what, he's done a lot of good for the team too and this coming from a guy who honestly, I'm not a fan of Izzys kids. Not sure what ASPER ever did to some people, honestly, reading some posts, you'd think he's a murderer of some kind who has done no good.. The fact is, the guy is a successful business man who has his own development company, has done a lot of good for this city, more than you me and the other guys on here thats for sure. Not sure why people always have issues with people who are more successful than they are.. But honestly, that post above is so misinformed it's crazy. Miller didn't add asper, Quite the opposite actually, Asper was around long before Miller became president of the team, Hell Asper and the BOD are the ones who hired Miller. 

Sad to hear about Jim Bell's dismissal, but at the same time I never understood the need for his position once Wade Miller came in. Wade seems to be a hand on type of guy and in saying that did the team need another guy to handle the day to day operations when Wade already does that ?

I disagree with the notion that without Asper there would be no stadium, the team needed one and would have gotten a new stadium with or without Asper.

Lyle Bauer's great legacy to the Bombers was his ability to convince (intimidate) local suppliers and vendors into accepting pennies on the dollar to help bail the bombers out of their early 2000's debt.

Miller is obviously a lot more business-minded than the egomaniacal Bauer but his contribution (at least initially) seems to be on the same level as Lord Lyle. He seems hell bent on making sure the bombers never have to pay back a red penny to the hillbilly premier (selinger) who forked over the money to build the stadium.

Miller might also be in early stages of setting the table for a private buyout of the so-called community-owned bombers. If the payback to the province lags another couple years Miller could assemble a local group to buy the football team and stadium facility (concession rights included) for a nominal sum (say $30 or $40 million) from the province.

Of course, the 30 or 40 mill. would also be "financed".

Big Jim Bell might have been getting a bit too close to some closed door meetings so Wade just closed his ticket.