Jim Bell out as Bombers COO

gbill2004

Lyle Bauer's great legacy to the Bombers was his ability to convince (intimidate) local suppliers and vendors into accepting pennies on the dollar to help bail the bombers out of their early 2000's debt.

Miller is obviously a lot more business-minded than the egomaniacal Bauer but his contribution (at least initially) seems to be on the same level as Lord Lyle. He seems hell bent on making sure the bombers never have to pay back a red penny to the hillbilly premier (selinger) who forked over the money to build the stadium.

Miller might also be in early stages of setting the table for a private buyout of the so-called community-owned bombers. If the payback to the province lags another couple years Miller could assemble a local group to buy the football teaig m and the stadium facility (concession rights included) for a nominal sum (say $30 or $40 million) from the province. Of course, the 30 or 40 mill. would also be "financed".

Big Jim Bell might have been getting a bit too close to some closed door meetings so Wade just closed his ticket.

facepalm.jpg

Lyle Bauer's …..yadda yadda…...just closed his ticket.

This scrimped writing style of yours works fine over at the Riders site where they can hardly tell the difference between…well anything, but c'mon you have to give more credit to a Bomber fan board that knows the difference between…well everything.

Seems the letters you know best is BS and you like to spin those every which way but real.

Just save it for the boys who buy that green goop, and you'll save yourself a lot of blowback outside of closed doors.

Nate's dislike for Bauer is well documented. Bauer did however reserect the team from death row. Miller is in fact in Asper's back pocket and the notion of some nickel buyout on the buck may not be ridiculous but likely not going to happen. True North and The Thompson ownership group may be the only ones with enough nickels.

Nate's dislike for Bauer is well documented. Bauer did however reserect the team from death row. Miller is in fact in Asper's back pocket and the notion of some nickel buyout on the buck may not be ridiculous but likely not going to happen. True North and The Thompson ownership group may be the only ones with enough nickels.

b4x0KCm.jpg

Miller is in fact in Asper's back pocket ….

So Wade Miller went from blocking David Asper's entrance to the Bomber locker room in 2005, rather briskly, to fitting uncomfortably in Asper's back pocket?

Pardon me while I try to picture that.

Are you sure that was Wade who did that in 2005? I heard it was an OL.

So Wade Miller went from blocking David Asper's entrance to the Bomber locker room in 2005, rather briskly, to fitting uncomfortably in Asper's back pocket?

It was Miller. From the 2005 article about it:

A TV reporter who witnessed the confrontation said "while we were waiting to get in the door to the locker-room it pushed open and Wade Miller had a hold of David and they were struggling in the little hallway.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/historic/31602244.html

I did hear that about Miller originally, and then read it:

"The last time we saw David Asper in a football locker-room, he was being pushed out by a group of surly Blue Bombers, led by none other than Wade Miller."

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/08/28/david-asper-goes-from-villain-to-hero-in-sometimes-nasty-stadium-saga

I really hope certain members of the BOD sit down with Jim for an effective exit interview.   When the person that has been their lead financial person is shown the door and the organization has significant debt repayments coming, it should set off some alarm bells.   Unfortunately the City doesn't have an appointed person so the City is shut out of the exit interview process.   I would expect Vince Barletta and Debbie Metcalfe from the Board to have very detailed discussions with Jim on his way out the door.    During a 3-13 season, the previous off field management team grew revenues from $16.7M to $24.2M last year.   That management team is all gone now.   Yes the new stadium was the driving factor but they did grow corporate revenues in a big way.   I doubt very much that Jim was shown the door to save a salary.   I think it would have far more to do with future planning and direction inclusive of both future revenue and cost considerations.   We have a General Manager, Grey Cup and Vice-President of Entertainment and Events on our senior executive but no other VPs.    It looks like Wade has actually been in his position longer than any other member of the Senior Executive.  Its clearly Wade's show and for all of us I wish him great success.   Best of Luck to Jim and thanks for your dedication and loyalty to the Football Club over some tumultuous times.

I really hope certain members of the BOD sit down with Jim for an effective exit interview.   When the person that has been their lead financial person is shown the door and the organization has significant debt repayments coming, it should set off some alarm bells.   Unfortunately the City doesn't have an appointed person so the City is shut out of the exit interview process.   I would expect Vince Barletta and Debbie Metcalfe from the Board to have very detailed discussions with Jim on his way out the door.    During a 3-13 season, the previous off field management team grew revenues from $16.7M to $24.2M last year.   That management team is all gone now.   Yes the new stadium was the driving factor but they did grow corporate revenues in a big way.   I doubt very much that Jim was shown the door to save a salary.   I think it would have far more to do with future planning and direction inclusive of both future revenue and cost considerations.   We have a General Manager, Grey Cup and Vice-President of Entertainment and Events on our senior executive but no other VPs.    It looks like Wade has actually been in his position longer than any other member of the Senior Executive.  Its clearly Wade's show and for all of us I wish him great success.   Best of Luck to Jim and thanks for your dedication and loyalty to the Football Club over some tumultuous times.

If you think the BoD wasn't involved with the restructuring, think again.

I think some were involved but certainly not all.   I also don't think it was a restructuring at all.   Wade and Jim disagreed and one had to go.   Clearly Wade wouldn't be the one going.   All Directors should want to know the real story.

You're doing better than me - I'm still trying to wrap my head around "fact".

As Inigo Montoya would say - "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

I think some were involved but certainly not all.   I also don't think it was a restructuring at all.   Wade and Jim disagreed and one had to go.   Clearly Wade wouldn't be the one going.   All Directors should want to know the real story.

Any restructuring would have to have BoD approval.

You're doing better than me - I'm still trying to wrap my head around "fact".

As Inigo Montoya would say - "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

Thanks, fact is, now I have to go back and rethink this whole thread, from the beginning, with no help from anybody from Montana.

The only thing I'll say regarding the post about it being an old boys club, Miller came in and got rid of some of them "old boys". Not really sure those posts really make sense.

Unless people are referring to the BOD, but the BOD has removed a few older guys and added a few new younger guys and gals for that matter.

Thinks are a changing, for years and years people referred to us as a gong show, Bell might have been a nice guy, Bannon too, Others also but... Times, they are a changing.

I'm fine with whatever decision Miller makes. He knows what he is doing regardless of some pretty obvious personal shots a few posters have taken against him. People talk about Ameet Pall kicking Iso's dog on the other thread, Well apparently Miller has done the same to a few on here too. 

It's a business after all. 

You mean adding Asper???  That is exactly the old boys club bs from before.  Asper needs to get far away from any authority with this team.  Forever!  That family have been nothing but screw ups since Izzy died.

Adding Asper to the BOD is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Remember Wade's introduction press conference?  He said, 'the board is giving me all the power I need to make decision.'

That's awesome....but......this is what Brock said right after, 'yes, but any good President will run those decisions by the board first.'

Not paraphrasing.  The board is running this team still.  Miller is just business savvy enough to know where to take a deuce. 

Say what you want about Wade Miller personally...

But show me a CEO who is friendly and everyone loves... 9 times out of 10 that man/woman is running an unsuccessful business...

Wade has the unfortunate pleasure of being a particularly high-profile CEO...