So I think we know who the better RB is now

Whether it's Cotton or Grigsby (tonight it was Cotton doing this) don't bloody hell dance when you're trying to convert 2nd and 2. Hit the damn line hard. Worst case scenario you gain a yard and you try a sneak on third and one. I wanted to throw my drink through the TV when Cotton did that.

Did you see the play early in the game where Grigsby stopped before he hit the line of scrimmage and was tackled for a loss? That was absolutely embarassing. At least Cotton was running forward. Hell the play he got dropped hard by Hebert at least he picked up 8 yards first. If that was Grigsby he would have got maybe 3 or 4 cause a guy would have got a hand on him coming through the initial hole. 

Grigsby went back in during the 4th quarter and actually stopped ******* around going sideways and running tentative. He actually started to make a decision and commit to it and ran with more authority and go figure he made some plays. I question whether he can do that all the time or not, but if he can then good, but if not I like the way Cotton runs better.

Overall I think the biggest issue with the running game last night was the play calling. They did very little to actually give the backs a chance until late in the game, but I can not stand a running back who is seemingly afraid of contact. 

Cotton got flipped back a few times...looked nasty.

It seems we still have two distinct 'camps' on this issue.  Should be another good week of back and forth entertainment.

If you watched Montreal's run game, it was basically the same as ours.  Watch any team's running game, no matter who they are. It's mostly straight up, make a block, hit the hole.

I'm just tired of seeing Grigsby run like a sissy. Yeah the blocking isn't great, but I'll give you an example: montreal had a play where things were stacked up pretty good in the middle and Whitaker just put his shoulders down and ran into the pile hard and managed to push it for the 2 yards needed. Grigsby in that same situation tends to either stop and look for a hole or run sideways trying to get all the way outside. If he'd just put the shoulder down and run forward I'd be on board with him continuing, but he plays like he's afraid of contact and I can't accept that from a runningback. 

Cotton had the whole 3rd quarter.

I wouldn't call 4 carries in the entire game the "whole 3rd quarter".  You guys need to stop acting like Cotton was given the ball 10-20 times in the game.  I'm not saying he's the guy, but you can't judge him on a few plays.

And I'm just gonna come right out and say it.  Our RB coach is Buck Pierce.  Why is a QB teaching a RB how to play?  It's no wonder our RB isn't getting better.  Grigsby is pretty much getting lucky with his runs.  What he excels at is his ability to receive.

I'm not impressed by either of them.  Both can't seem to break a tackle if they're life depended on it. 

All I want for Xmas is for the WBB's to go out and find a power back that can break a tackle or two.  I personally would give up a little in the speed department for a guy that can keep his legs pumping and gain additional yardage after the first touch.   

I wouldn't call 4 carries in the entire game the "whole 3rd quarter".  You guys need to stop acting like Cotton was given the ball 10-20 times in the game.  I'm not saying he's the guy, but you can't judge him on a few plays.

And I'm just gonna come right out and say it.  Our RB coach is Buck Pierce.  Why is a QB teaching a RB how to play?  It's no wonder our RB isn't getting better.  Grigsby is pretty much getting lucky with his runs.  What he excels at is his ability to receive.

In TBurg's defence, 4 carries is pretty much a quarter...  I think Cotton deserves a look but I don't think either of them are the answer.

Grigsby was the direct cause of the last sack on Willy - maybe Lavarius? - he just stepped aside instead of blocking.  Didn't make himself an 'out' option either.

I'm not impressed by either of them.  Both can't seem to break a tackle if they're life depended on it. 

All I want for Xmas is for the WBB's to go out and find a power back that can break a tackle or two.  I personally would give up a little in the speed department for a guy that can keep his legs pumping and gain additional yardage after the first touch.   

Still think Stoudermire would make a nice runningback...  

Whether it's Cotton or Grigsby (tonight it was Cotton doing this) don't bloody hell dance when you're trying to convert 2nd and 2. Hit the damn line hard. Worst case scenario you gain a yard and you try a sneak on third and one. I wanted to throw my drink through the TV when Cotton did that.

Did you see the play early in the game where Grigsby stopped before he hit the line of scrimmage and was tackled for a loss? That was absolutely embarassing. At least Cotton was running forward. Hell the play he got dropped hard by Hebert at least he picked up 8 yards first. If that was Grigsby he would have got maybe 3 or 4 cause a guy would have got a hand on him coming through the initial hole. 

Grigsby went back in during the 4th quarter and actually stopped ******* around going sideways and running tentative. He actually started to make a decision and commit to it and ran with more authority and go figure he made some plays. I question whether he can do that all the time or not, but if he can then good, but if not I like the way Cotton runs better.

Overall I think the biggest issue with the running game last night was the play calling. They did very little to actually give the backs a chance until late in the game, but I can not stand a running back who is seemingly afraid of contact. 

Of course I saw it. They've both been guilty of it. Cotton's stood out more though considering the down and distance and how he attacked it. As time goes on, it seems more and more like we have B level running backs, though giving credit where it's due Grigsby cut out the east/west garbage in the fourth quarter and was key in pulling out the win.

I'm not acting like Cotton got 10-20 chances.  He did get the whole 3rd quarter.  FYI: Quarters are 15 minute increments used in football games.

I don't have a horse in this race.  Both Grigsby and Cotton have had their moments.

No...there has to be a couple of guys out there today that have played the position for a number of years that we can take a look at.  I think Stoudemire has played a little receiver before but I don't think he's played rb. 

If we can't find a couple of candidates, then that says something about our scouting staff.     

No...there has to be a couple of guys out there today that have played the position for a number of years that we can take a look at.  I think Stoudemire has played a little receiver before but I don't think he's played rb. 

If we can't find a couple of candidates, then that says something about our scouting staff.     

I'm all for bringing in a real power back...  then again, Stoudermire hadn't returned a punt since high school until last week so why not.

Wouldn't put him in for every down but I would at least see what he can do.

We haven't had a running back rush for under a thousand since I've been a true bomber fan, Grigsby might break that streak this year unless we can keep this up

We didn't have a 1k rusher last season.

lol, I guess I forgot about that

Hard to remember anything from last season other than Burke's 1000 yard stare

I hope we bring Meggett back. Maybe give McGuffie a shot. I'm underwhelmed by our RB's.

The more Cotton touches the ball the less impressed I am. Hebert Tossed him around like a rag doll last night, and he looks out of sync with the flow of the offence IMO.

The people getting all offended about Cotton sound like we used to when trying to convince ourselves that all our crappy QBs might yet get good. We did it with Jyles, Brink , Elliott, Goltz, Hall. Then Willy comes in and it's immediately obvious hes far better than any of those guys.

So my point is that if Cotton was anything special chances are we would have seen it by now in the regular season, and not just a handful of decent runs in the preseason where it just looked like he almost broke off a long one.

the way MOS  operates we won't bring a running back off  the 

'PR UNTIL Grigsby or Cotton gets hurt  ... then the newbie has to make the most of the opportunity

btw I like Stoudemire in the flat much the way Owens is used in Toronto ... I don't see him as a grind it out back

Of course I saw it. They've both been guilty of it. Cotton's stood out more though considering the down and distance and how he attacked it. As time goes on, it seems more and more like we have B level running backs, though giving credit where it's due Grigsby cut out the east/west garbage in the fourth quarter and was key in pulling out the win.

That 2nd and 2 though I have a hard time really saying that Cotton didn't put the effort in, He got to the line and had a guy on his ankle and more coming in, he wasn't going to get much out of that one anyway. I just want to see the guy get a proper workload so we can actually see what he can do. 2 big runs from Grigsby in the 4th quarter doesn't make him any better than he has been and 4 carries in the game for cotton doesn't tell us much of anything about his ability either. 

I don't think our issue has much to do with the running backs, yeah they haven't looked amazing, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the offensive line run block well at least 3-4 games in a row.

The people getting all offended about Cotton sound like we used to when trying to convince ourselves that all our crappy QBs might yet get good. We did it with Jyles, Brink , Elliott, Goltz, Hall. Then Willy comes in and it's immediately obvious hes far better than any of those guys.

So my point is that if Cotton was anything special chances are we would have seen it by now in the regular season, and not just a handful of decent runs in the preseason where it just looked like he almost broke off a long one.

Ah yes...he hasn't had a chance yet...give the guy a chance...