So I think we know who the better RB is now

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that this was the Als short week so it could be their D was gassed late in the game when Grigsby started to accumulate.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is none of us here has a clue how to judge who's doing better then who because we don't know what calls are made, who's making or missing blocks, etc etc.. All we can truly base decisions off is stats and who has the trust of the management..

I'm not impressed by either of them.  Both can't seem to break a tackle if they're life depended on it. 

All I want for Xmas is for the WBB's to go out and find a power back that can break a tackle or two.  I personally would give up a little in the speed department for a guy that can keep his legs pumping and gain additional yardage after the first touch.   

I think this nails it.  When the Bomber scouts were searching the backwoods of America for a RB I think they went shopping in all the wrong stores.  Considering their O-line woes they should have been looking for bruisers instead of ballerinas.  The talents needed to succeed in this offensive scheme have to be grit, heart and determination over break away speed and open field running.  In theory the second is more pleasant to think about but it neglects the fact that first of all football is a tough physical game. 

Grigsby runs beautifully,  just like his TSN promo piece showed us but that only happens when he is running in a straight line and there is no one around to lay a hand on him.

The truth might be that we don't currently have a good RB on the roster.

I just can't figure this out. Here we have a guy that is leading the league and a 4.7 yd average but many are still not satisfied. I must be missing something obviously. Of course our Oline has nothing to do with this.  Why is it that Willy is also ineffective at the same time? Might it be the line is not protecting Willy just like it is not opening holes. 

I just can't figure this out. Here we have a guy that is leading the league and a 4.7 yd average but many are still not satisfied. I must be missing something obviously. Of course our Oline has nothing to do with this.  Why is it that Willy is also ineffective at the same time? Might it be the line is not protecting Willy just like it is not opening holes. 

Holy jeebus, it just dawned on me.  Willy probably contracted a dose of Durant's "useless w.o. a great RB disease" before he came over to the Bombers.  The medical staff should have picked that up prior to T.C.  Luckily it's a mild dose and it can probably be treated with a moderate prescription of penicillin.

so you like a runningback who plays like he's afraid of getting hit?

Until someone tells me how you can teach a running back to run through people I think we have a very decent guy who has not been getting much help from the line.  I fail to see the humour in a comment about Willy & DD after having watched Willy getting beat up all night because the line couldn't stop the dline even when they were sending only 3. That's the same line that could not open a gap let alone stop their guys from being in Gribsby's face as soon as he got the ball.

He's not Roberts but Cotton has not shown that much either.  The Montreal line had him dancing too so why was he doing it?

He's only leading the league in rushing because other teams can't decide who they want as their running back or are suffering injuries.

1. Saskatchewan:

Started off with Allen but switched just because of a couple of fumbles, then moved to Ford, then Messam. Add their stats up and you're at 692 rush yards in 125 attempts for 5.5 yard average.

2. B.C.:

Enjoying the successful tandem of Harris and Logan

They combine for 786 yards in 147 carries for a 5.3 yard average.

3. Edmonton

Same thing for Edmonton with their running John White back showing off 334 yards in 51 carries for a 6.5 yard average. Oh and if you add in Kendial Lawrence then they combine for

558 yards in 79 carries and a 7.07 yard average.

4. Calgary

Suffered an injury to their star running back Cornish. No doubt in my mind he'd be leading the league right now if not injured.

Then there is TO, they are just a pass first type of offense, however their rush game is still much better than ours. With their running back currently showing off 332 yards in 57 carries for a 5.8 yard average.

The rest of the teams, their offense has been so shitty and inconsistent that it makes sense that their rushing totals would be behind ours.

With all this said, give your head a shake if you think Grigsby leading the league in rushing actually proves he's doing a good job. I would have cut or traded him yesterday already. If running backs are a dime a dozen, god knows why we're so content on sticking with a < 5 yard per avg running back. Completely unacceptable.

Biggest point of this post is, our running back is not deserving of being #1 and our running game absolutely freaking stinks compared to the top 3 teams on my list above and we should be making a bigger deal of Grigsby remaining the #1 back then we are.

Until someone tells me how you can teach a running back to run through people I think we have a very decent guy who has not been getting much help from the line.  I fail to see the humour in a comment about Willy & DD after having watched Willy getting beat up all night because the line couldn't stop the dline even when they were sending only 3. That's the same line that could not open a gap let alone stop their guys from being in Gribsby's face as soon as he got the ball.

He's not Roberts but Cotton has not shown that much either.  The Montreal line had him dancing too so why was he doing it?

You must have watched a different game.  Willy was pretty clean vs Montreal, nearly all of the sacks were coverage sacks.  You can literally count the number of broken tackles by Grigsby in half a season on one hand.  That is ridiculous.  Running backs are supposed to battle for yards through contact.  We have a guy who is great if he is untouched.  I would be a great CFL RB too if you could guarantee that I'd be untouched.  Big runs are good, but we won't have a consistent offense until we have a back who can consistently gain 4-5-6-7 yards each time he touches the ball.

You must have watched a different game.  Willy was pretty clean vs Montreal, nearly all of the sacks were coverage sacks.  You can literally count the number of broken tackles by Grigsby in half a season on one hand.  That is ridiculous.  Running backs are supposed to battle for yards through contact.  We have a guy who is great if he is untouched.  I would be a great CFL RB too if you could guarantee that I'd be untouched.  Big runs are good, but we won't have a consistent offense until we have a back who can consistently gain 4-5-6-7 yards each time he touches the ball.

Exactly, our o-line actually played pretty darn good last game.

Grigsby is leading the league in rushing, but the Bombers are 5th in the league in terms of rushing yards from RB's, even having played the most games.  Tied for lowest yards per carry too.

BC RB's- 801 yards 5.1 ypc

Saskatchewan RB's- 795 yards 5.6 ypc

Edmonton RB's- 667 yards 6.8 ypc

Toronto RB's- 663 yards 5.7 ypc

Winnipeg RB's- 590 yards 4.3 ypc

Calgary RB's- 576 yards 5.4 ypc

Montreal RB's- 489 yards 4.3 ypc

Ottawa RB's- 378 yards 4.8 ypc

Hamilton RB's- 188 yards 4.8 ypc

Lets get real.....4.3 in this league....is not very good, and not good enough, going forward.....

Speaking of reality...we have two separate camps as usual.

1. It's Grigsby

2. It's the OL

Both need to improve...going forward...

That's not entirely true. I'm not absolving the OL, sometimes they just don't do enough, my reasons for not liking Grigsby are pretty straightforward and not based on his numbers or lack there of... it's because he runs east/west too much, he stops before he hits the line too much, he doesn't run with any kind of power or authority, he sucks at breaking tackles, he's good at running into people and I don't think he is very good at making people miss. He is just frustrating to watch. 

A couple of thoughts:

Firstly, what infuriates fans about Grigsby are his hesitations, downs at first contact and sprints to the sidelines instead of putting his head down and getting what he can- he pretty much always loses ground on his lateral runs.

Secondly, the O-line did play reasonably well against a very good Montreal D-line, but what impresses me is the dramatic drop in the sacks where a defender hits Willy after a 5 yard sprint with no one getting in the way. Any QB sack has potential for an injured QB, but the killer sacks are the ones where the QB is clobbered rather than pulled down. I still shudder remembering the shots Pierce took over the past two years where there were "lookout blocks".

Sorry, I was talking about the Toronto Game. Willy ran for his life all night and Gribsby did nothing. In the Montreal game Willy had his moments in the second half and so did Grigsby. In the first half our offence stunk, 3 first downs. Willy & Cotton were in there and neither did anything. It's not too hard to see the correlation here.

Gribsby might have some problems but there are other bigger ones at the root that have to be fixed or one game we will lose our QB.

Gribsby might have some problems but there are other bigger ones at the root that have to be fixed or one game we will lose our QB.

I am sorry but this is a stupid ******* statement to make. Just because there are other issues doesn't mean we can't take steps to fix one of the problems... that being Grigsby. He's not good enough as he is now regardless of what we have at OL. If he wants to start running harder then by all means he can stay, but he's gotta show that for more than just the 4th quarter. Give Cotton a chance see if it improves (and no 4 carries in the 3rd quarter against montreal don't count as a chance). It might help even with those other problem areas. You can work on more than one area at a time you know. It's easier to replace one player than 5. 

I thought I saw some glimpses of fire in Grigsby in the 4th Q. and re-watching the highlights on CFL.ca confirms that he actually did break some tackles.  As for Cotton he has yet to reach the open field this season so he has been unable to demonstrate where his real talent lies.  Still hoping to see a lot more of the 2 RB set in the games to come.

I am sorry but this is a stupid ******* statement to make. Just because there are other issues doesn't mean we can't take steps to fix one of the problems... that being Grigsby. He's not good enough as he is now regardless of what we have at OL. If he wants to start running harder then by all means he can stay, but he's gotta show that for more than just the 4th quarter. Give Cotton a chance see if it improves (and no 4 carries in the 3rd quarter against montreal don't count as a chance). It might help even with those other problem areas. You can work on more than one area at a time you know. It's easier to replace one player than 5. 

Ok! I'm done on this. Let's put in Cotton and see what happens. Only time will settle this issue.

Ok! I'm done on this. Let's put in Cotton and see what happens. Only time will settle this issue.

No one is saying Cotton is the answer.  We're just stating that he still hasn't been given a fair shake.  You can't tell anything from a few carries a game.  It's like if we only put in Willy for 1 quarter of the game and he missed a bunch of throws.  Everyone would say he's ****.  But give him a whole game and all of a sudden he finally starts producing in the 4th quarter and we all hail him the hero.  Putting a player in the whole game and giving him proper reps gives him perspective of what's going on.  Grigsby's had many chances to be in all 4 quarters of almost every game and he hasn't shown us that much.  So until Cotton has been given 4 quarters, you can't judge him.

Giving a player all 4 quarters allows them time to read the defense better and make adjustments to their game play.  Sure one of the guys picked him up and slammed him on the ground, he's small.  But if you give him enough carries he'll start to figure out how to get around those players or to somehow get through them.

Again, no one is saying Cotton is the answer.  We're just pointing out that he hasn't been given the chance.  We saw him play really well in the first and second quarter of 2 preseason games, so we know there's something there.  And if he's not the one, then our scouting team needs to find someone from the NFL cuts.

Lets get real.....4.3 in this league....is not very good, and not good enough, going forward.....

Speaking of reality...we have two separate camps as usual.

1. It's Grigsby

2. It's the OL

Both need to improve...going forward...

That's not entirely true. I'm not absolving the OL, sometimes they just don't do enough, my reasons for not liking Grigsby are pretty straightforward and not based on his numbers or lack there of... it's because he runs east/west too much, he stops before he hits the line too much, he doesn't run with any kind of power or authority, he sucks at breaking tackles, he's good at running into people and I don't think he is very good at making people miss. He is just frustrating to watch.

All true. I could write a similar post about the OL...but I won't.