Are the R.T.P. calls working?

Fatty Liver

Just realized almost half the season is gone and I believe the only team that has suffered injury to their QB's is Hamilton.  They've lost Collaros and now it looks like Lefevour is going to be out for awhile.  Last season the only QB to stay healthy throughout the season was Burris, and yet I believe sack numbers are way up this year over last years numbers.

Is it possible that the stricter calling of the R.T.P. penalties and less tolerance of any QB abuses are having a positive influence in protecting the QB's? 

Only way to fix that is to allow teams to pay OL more... 46 man rosters have helped - but its still hard to develop OL depth when you're pretty much limited to one or two backups... if two of your main guys go down - like Hamilton - you're in tough.

Aside from that, not sure what can help... refs already let everyone get away with holding every play

They seemed to have eased up on the calls of late (which suits me just fine).

Any play where the defender is going to the head or trying to hurt the Quarterback should be called but far too many borderline calls were being made.

It's just luck I think. Sooner enough I bet we see qbs missing time. Willy has taken some hard shots, Durant got clobbered good last game, those are the kinds of things that add up over the course of a season and eventually make a guy miss time. 

Wow, is Durant getting fat. He looked funny in that skin tight uniform exposing every inch of flab on his physique. 

Only way to fix that is to allow teams to pay OL more... 46 man rosters have helped - but its still hard to develop OL depth when you're pretty much limited to one or two backups... if two of your main guys go down - like Hamilton - you're in tough.

Aside from that, not sure what can help... refs already let everyone get away with holding every play

Ratio needs to be dropped from 7 Canadian starters to 5 so 2 Internationals can start on the OL & it has no repercussions like a domino effect everywhere else.  

Ratio needs to be dropped from 7 Canadian starters to 5 so 2 Internationals can start on the OL & it has no repercussions like a domino effect everywhere else.  

Disagree heartily with any reduction of the ratio in OUR game.

But how else can you fix the problems the league is having  scoring on offense? The OL blocking stinks with 7 of the 9 teams in the CFL. There aren't enough quality Canadian offensive linemen playing in the CIS & NCAA to stock 9 teams. There are 45 starting spots with 9 teams. College teams  can't stock teams. It may not be something we want to  hear but it is a fact of life. The only way is to reduce starting Canadians to 5. I don't like it either but it is what it is.

But how else can you fix the problems the league is having  scoring on offense? The OL blocking stinks with 7 of the 9 teams in the CFL. There aren't enough quality Canadian offensive linemen playing in the CIS & NCAA to stock 9 teams. There are 45 starting spots with 9 teams. College teams  can't stock teams. It may not be something we want to  hear but it is a fact of life. The only way is to reduce starting Canadians to 5. I don't like it either but it is what it is.

so maybe teams should stop trying to play 4 or 5 NIs on the offensive line if it's the biggest problem with offenses?

I honestly think teams have to start looking for Canadians in other positions. Teams are bringing in too much defensive line talent and using less Canadians on the defensive line as well because they see it as an advantage. Time for the CFL to adjust and shore up the offensive lines with more americans to neutralize that advantage that defensive coordinators are seeing. 

We're going through a period in the league right now where one team is breaking with tradition in using players at positions not normally used for NIs, and using them at the same time, and it has lessened the absolute need to do something, anything to get a player for the usual positions. (O-Linemen)

If you're short at one position (OL), how about looking at other areas where NIs can be used?

CFL could always declare that you must balance the ratio...  teams have to start 3 on one side, four on the other... up to them to decide which - that would allow teams to play more import OL and, pretty much, make defences worse across the league so you get more scoring.

I honestly think teams have to start looking for Canadians in other positions. Teams are bringing in too much defensive line talent and using less Canadians on the defensive line as well because they see it as an advantage. Time for the CFL to adjust and shore up the offensive lines with more americans to neutralize that advantage that defensive coordinators are seeing. 

I agree & I've said this before back in the 60's, 70's & 80's most CFL teams played with 2 International offensive linemen. Sometimes 3. We had right guard Buddy Brown & left tackle Butch Norman protecting Dieter Brock & opening huge holes for Jay Washington & then later on William Miller. Both those guys were studs & CFL All Stars back then. They were great players. But the trade off was starting more Nationals in the secondary, linebacker or defensive backfield. I also remember we started a sub par National named Mark McDonald at wide receiver when Brock was our qb & I'm sure the only reason he played is because Internationals were playing at key positions elsewhere. But the Bombers had so many weapons offensively at Brock's disposal that McDonald really never hurt us. He dropped a lot of catchable footballs but still managed to haul in 30 passes every year for about 600 yards or so as I recall. But still the Nationals that did play positions now reserved only for Internationals like corner, defensive back, wide receiver & linebacker many were all stars. Most Nationals were solid players. 

CFL could always declare that you must balance the ratio... teams have to start 3 on one side, four on the other... up to them to decide which - that would allow teams to play more import OL and, pretty much, make defences worse across the league so you get more scoring.

I like this idea.

CFL could always declare that you must balance the ratio... teams have to start 3 on one side, four on the other... up to them to decide which - that would allow teams to play more import OL and, pretty much, make defences worse across the league so you get more scoring.

I like this idea.

Would make NI receivers and RBs pretty much disappear.

I like this idea.

Would make NI receivers and RBs pretty much disappear.

Not if you're playing a 3 or 4 import OL.

Then again, I think teams should get roster or cap bonuses for starting eight Canadians...

I agree & I've said this before back in the 60's, 70's & 80's most CFL teams played with 2 International offensive linemen. 

The great Bomber teams from 1984-1990 had mostly all-Canadian OLs.

The '84 team had insane non-import talent.  In the Grey Cup that year we started eight Canadians on O (Walby, Moors, Bonk, Bastaja, Nemeth, Poplawski, House, Kehoe) and then we had Scott Flagel at safety to boot. That's bananas.  How often does a CFL team have nine Canadian starters?