The Great Grigsby

BBlink

He's a hell of an athlete, it just takes a lot more than that to be a running back.

I still say he's got a spot in this league, but I'd move him to a Durie type role. Durie was an athletic running back who couldn't break initial contact before he became a stud receiver too.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

There's a good chance that a bunch of American players were good baseball players growing up too.  A lot of guys play high school or NCAA baseball and are drafted by the MLB, but choose to pursue football.  Being able to play rookie ball (keep in mind the Goldeyes are compared to high A-AA, and rookie ball is 2 steps below that) wouldn't necessarily separate one guy from the pack, just that he had the opportunity to pursue baseball while being out of football.

Andrew Harris was one of the top hockey players in his age group in Manitoba, I'm sure a lot of other guys in the CFL were top basketball and baseball players growing up too.

TSN showed this last week prior to the game, this isn't anything new, it was on the pre-game show last week. 

Grigsby is a great athlete, there is no denying that. Right now, he's having a hard time as a running back but... I'm gonna cut him some slack and say I think most running backs would be struggling behind our oline right now, Not very good at run blocking it seems.. Other guys have holes to run through, Grigsby, the last 2 games in particular, hasn't. 

The timing of this special feature just felt kinda awkward.... even if it was shown prior to last game.... he's come off 2 bad games and now TSN is touting him as a potential "best athlete in the CFL".... but like someone else said, great athlete doesn't necessarily mean great RB....

That's not really true. He's not a bruiser like Messam, but for some reason with every running back since Roberts people are always complaining that they don't break enough tackles. How many RBs do?

but most of the backs we've used since Roberts have been those all or nothing types... Reid, Ford, Grigsby... Simpson was different and no one really complained about his ability, just his constant injuries. Smith was a bigger bruising back no one complained about that. So it's just the types of guys they've used that people have complained of. 

I would like to see what he would do behind Sask's Oline. I can't see why so much is mentioned about the last game. The Riders had a mission to take the running game away and with our depleted oline they did. How do you think Messam would have done in his place considering he's much heavier?

It's not the job a a 190 lbs running back to run through a wall of 250 lbs Dline pushing back an Oline. It seems before he even got the ball they were set for him. Why don't we just see what happens with a better line. Cotton didn't do much either so do we jump on him too?

I think it's unfair to blame him because he can't run through people. Let's get a decent line then see if he's just an open country runner.  we might not see another game like that one.

I'm pretty neutral on Gribsby but I feel he's wearing the horns for 5 other guys too.

My 2 cents worth and you know how much that's worth in the stores.

I would like to see what he would do behind Sask's Oline. I can't see why so much is mentioned about the last game. The Riders had a mission to take the running game away and with our depleted oline they did. How do you think Messam would have done in his place considering he's much heavier?

It's not the job a a 190 lbs running back to run through a wall of 250 lbs Dline pushing back an Oline. It seems before he even got the ball they were set for him. Why don't we just see what happens with a better line. Cotton didn't do much either so do we jump on him too?

I think it's unfair to blame him because he can't run through people. Let's get a decent line then see if he's just an open country runner.  we might not see another game like that one.

I'm pretty neutral on Gribsby but I feel he's wearing the horns for 5 other guys too.

No that's just some bullshit argument that people like to bring up. Grigsby has shown a great ability to run into tacklers and go down, hell the moment I was done with him as a runningback was on a play where he was down field running with the ball, had a blocker in front of him taking a defender out of the picture.... and he ran right into the back of his blocker. In my mind he doesn't have good enough instincts to be an effective runner unless the hole is big enough to drive a truck through. He's too slow to change direction, his acceleration isn't good enough and he lacks the natural ability to find space. That has nothing to do with the OL. I think Cotton was better in preseason and want to see him. It's less about being down on Grigsby as being higher on the other guy. 

No that's just some bullshit argument that people like to bring up. Grigsby has shown a great ability to run into tacklers and go down, hell the moment I was done with him as a runningback was on a play where he was down field running with the ball, had a blocker in front of him taking a defender out of the picture.... and he ran right into the back of his blocker. In my mind he doesn't have good enough instincts to be an effective runner unless the hole is big enough to drive a truck through. He's too slow to change direction, his acceleration isn't good enough and he lacks the natural ability to find space. That has nothing to do with the OL. I think Cotton was better in preseason and want to see him. It's less about being down on Grigsby as being higher on the other guy. 

Agreed. Its not just about raw ability, its about reading the blocking, smarts, and good old spidey-sense. If you look at kick returners, speed is a great asset, but knowing when to duck and when to make a cut is even better.

Doesnt matter if Grigsby has a hole to run through or not, as soon as someone gets a hand on him he falls down

I think we should call Grigsby Kerplunk.

I like this nickname for a receiver that drops a lot of balls.  Could be the next Kamau Incompleterson.

Agreed. Its not just about raw ability, its about reading the blocking, smarts, and good old spidey-sense. If you look at kick returners, speed is a great asset, but knowing when to duck and when to make a cut is even better.

That's where a guy like Charles Roberts just thrived. He knew instinctively where to go to find space and he had the quickness to change direction and throw would be tacklers off that way. Grigsby just does none of that. Oh sure give him space he can be fine, but I'd rather look for a runningback who can make something out of nothing because we're not getting a new offensive line any time soon.