The Great Grigsby

BBlink

Agreed. Its not just about raw ability, its about reading the blocking, smarts, and good old spidey-sense. If you look at kick returners, speed is a great asset, but knowing when to duck and when to make a cut is even better.

That's where a guy like Charles Roberts just thrived. He knew instinctively where to go to find space and he had the quickness to change direction and throw would be tacklers off that way. Grigsby just does none of that. Oh sure give him space he can be fine, but I'd rather look for a runningback who can make something out of nothing because we're not getting a new offensive line any time soon.

even in space, he made a nice cutback against sask, had one defender to beat in space and couldn't do it.

He is a great RB I think.  Not many backs can beat three defenders in the backfield EVERY run play.

His cuts are beautiful and his intstincts serve him well.  BUT, without blocking, he's sunk.  Our o-line remains among the worst in the league.....for another year

He is a great RB I think.  Not many backs can beat three defenders in the backfield EVERY run play.

His cuts are beautiful and his intstincts serve him well.  BUT, without blocking, he's sunk.  Our o-line remains among the worst in the league.....for another year

His cuts are beautiful when he has a 5 yard halo around him in all directions.  Too bad that happens once every 3 weeks in football.

A running back who can't fight through contact is useless to me.

I also agree that if we can get Charles Roberts in his prime he should replace Grigsby. What is Walters waiting for?

There is a hell of a lot of middle ground between prime Charles Roberts and Nic Grigsby, that's the real take away here. 

Honestly what does Grigsby do that stands out? It's not acceleration, it's not changing directions quickly or without losing speed, it's not instinctively finding openings, it's not fighting through contact... so what's he got? Decent set of mitts catching from the backfield? Big deal any number of RBs can do that. 

He is a great RB I think. Not many backs can beat three defenders in the backfield EVERY run play.

His cuts are beautiful and his intstincts serve him well. BUT, without blocking, he's sunk. Our o-line remains among the worst in the league.....for another year

His cuts are beautiful when he has a 5 yard halo around him in all directions. Too bad that happens once every 3 weeks in football.

A running back who can't fight through contact is useless to me.

Agreed. I hate it when people say (insert random running backs name) can do a lot of damage when in space. I could do a lot of damage in space. I want a RB who can consistently get 5 yards on first down.

Like Grigby's running attempts, this complaining about Grigsby's running…is going nowhere.

That alone, is a good reason to switch RBs.

I'll be stunned, shocked and pissed if the BB don't come up with a much improved running game against the Argos.  Hope Marcel had his thinking cap on this week.

Like Grigby's running attempts, this complaining about Grigsby's running…is going nowhere.

That alone, is a good reason to switch RBs.

I'll be stunned, shocked and pissed if the BB don't come up with a much improved running game against the Argos.  Hope Marcel had his thinking cap on this week.

So now you are stunned, shocked and pissed. Not necessarily in that order.

Cotton seems so out of sync when he's in. Im so tired of our O-line, our Run game, and run defence...

That's what I've been saying. Our running game (or lack thereof) has absolutely nothing to do with Grigsby. Cotton does no better. It's the entire scheme, and the personal of the Oline (who get manhandled regularly at the LOS) that is our Achilles heel, not the running back. We could have better, yes. But better won't solve the problem. 

Methinks he's afraid to get hurt by over-extending or exposing himself so he goes kerplunk instead of fighting for extra yards.

Whoa man.. Whoa.. Your like, in his head.. You should be a sports psychologist!

Anyway, pretty sure its the fact he is met almost everytime in the backfield by 1 or 2 defenders on a regular basis.. When he gets the ball in space, do we see this fear of overextending or getting hurt?

Cotton seems so out of sync when he's in. Im so tired of our O-line, our Run game, and run defence...

That's what I've been saying. Our running game (or lack thereof) has absolutely nothing to do with Grigsby. Cotton does no better. It's the entire scheme, and the personal of the Oline (who get manhandled regularly at the LOS) that is our Achilles heel, not the running back. We could have better, yes. But better won't solve the problem. 

he had one ******* rushing attempt!

Give him a chance to actually carry the ball and get into a groove before we make any kind of judgement calls. 

You can keep absolving Grigsby of any blame but that's just not even bothering to look at the game objectively, that's just grasping at the low hanging fruit blaming the offensive line., Grigsby is part of the problem because of the way he runs. 

Just because Cotton does no better in the very few chances he gets, does not mean he isn't the better RB. there's plenty of evidence other than getting stuffed in the backfield as to why Grigsby just isn't good enough. His play in the open field being one of them. Another is how easy he is to bring down. and there's plenty more

Just because Cotton does no better in the very few chances he gets, does not mean he isn't the better RB. there's plenty of evidence other than getting stuffed in the backfield as to why Grigsby just isn't good enough. His play in the open field being one of them. Another is how easy he is to bring down. and there's plenty more

I fear Marcel is playing favourites again re:Boltus.  Even when Cotton is on the field they don't use him, he's just a distraction for the "Great Grigsby".  Doug Brown actually said that the Bombers are relying too much on Grigsby and opposing teams are on to it.

did I hear right, that Brown said the defensive plan does not emphasize tackling, and does emphasize getting turnovers?

there have been some really wacky plays this year, like last night, ball carrier with three four bombers around him and not going down.

they look ridiculous.

Is that this ball stripping thing going on?

if so, can it, cause not only are they not tackling, the amount of turn overs, and what our offence does with them, aren't worth it.

D got 2 turnovers directly due to stripping the ball, believe teague sherman had both of them, there does seem to be an emphasis on trying to strip the ball from the player and at times it does seem to work, The D has been pretty damn good so far this year, yeah they had a rough game last night but really, the argument could be made that it was indeed their first bad game of the season, ray shredded them and the run game shredded them, Prior to this game, the D gave up something like what? 2 touchdowns in like 3 or  4 games? Can't really complain too much, Not giving the D an excuse but the Offence had a fair amount of 2 and outs, the last minute of the first there, the delay of game/ time count penalty, did the clock not seem to go extra fast there? but regardless, that right there and the Lirim shank was the begining of the downfall last night. 

I can't blame the D really when they aren't the problem.. The OL is a problem, the lack of run game is a problem, the brain camps are a problem.. the short week might have been a problem too. 

Bellefuile needs to find another Avon Cobourne...  5'8 and 200+lbs

MB is calling a game for this RB.... not Grigsby.

Scouting Report:

The Good:  Quick footed shifty ball carrier with a nice style of running on the inside. Built low to the ground,  runs with forward lean and gets lost behind his linemen. Elusive, has a burst of speed through the hole and runs with balance.  Compact build and puts his shoulders into the defender, working to pick up positive yardage.  Decent receiver out of the backfield.  

The Bad: Lacks the open field speed, cannot run to daylight n or turn the corner and beat defenders to the flanks.  Short and may be a tough target for his quarterback to find in the traffic.

Bellefuile needs to find another Avon Cobourne...  5'8 and 200+lbs

MB is calling a game for this RB.... not Grigsby.

Scouting Report:

The Good:  Quick footed shifty ball carrier with a nice style of running on the inside. Built low to the ground,  runs with forward lean and gets lost behind his linemen. Elusive, has a burst of speed through the hole and runs with balance.  Compact build and puts his shoulders into the defender, working to pick up positive yardage.  Decent receiver out of the backfield.  

The Bad: Lacks the open field speed, cannot run to daylight n or turn the corner and beat defenders to the flanks.  Short and may be a tough target for his quarterback to find in the traffic.

Grigsby certainly has some things he needs to work on, but I would say "The Bad" you came up with is pretty debatable.  His speed is not an issue if you ask me.  He can beat defenders if he has space to do so.  I would also say that he is fine target for Willy, and his size is not an issue.  I would trust Grigsby on almost any route pattern if they decided to use him that way. 

You eluded to mention his obvious struggle with breaking first contact, which will ultimately be his downfall at some point.