Als coaching updates

gbill2004

they have a guy who played quarterback at in the NFL, went to the pro bowl, I think played in an NFC championship game, excelled in the CFL, coaching a quarterback,

and they have a guy who did not succeed as a player or coach in the CFL, who holds a higher position on the offence.

But maybe to you, that makes sense.

This board is getting pretty snarky.

Garcia is definitely a good hiring. He'll help Troy Smith adjust to the CFL. I heard the Bombers showed some interest in Garcia. I wonder how much Garcia is getting paid...could the QB coach be making more than the OC and HC?

Apparently he is the only coach on staff with his own locker with the players. 

they have a guy who played quarterback at in the NFL, went to the pro bowl, I think played in an NFC championship game, excelled in the CFL, coaching a quarterback,

and they have a guy who did not succeed as a player or coach in the CFL, who holds a higher position on the offence.

little bit early to say Dinwiddie hasn't had success coaching isn't it? Not even half a year into his first gig, never mind that he was only brought in to be a QB coach initially anyway. The best players don't always wind up being the best coaches. Scott Milanovich wasn't anything exciting at qb and he seems to be doing fine coaching, Whereas Matt Dunigan was a great qb and not much of a coach. As far as being coaches go neither one of them has proven anything and how good a player was has very little to do with how good a coach they wind up being. 

little bit early to say Dinwiddie hasn't had success coaching isn't it? Not even half a year into his first gig, never mind that he was only brought in to be a QB coach initially anyway. The best players don't always wind up being the best coaches. Scott Milanovich wasn't anything exciting at qb and he seems to be doing fine coaching, Whereas Matt Dunigan was a great qb and not much of a coach. As far as being coaches go neither one of them has proven anything and how good a player was has very little to do with how good a coach they wind up being. 

Matt could  have been a great coach but he wasn't willing to pay his dues. He never was a qb coach, starting on the bottom & working his way up. He accepted a dual position of GM & HC of the Stamps with zero experience so you kinda knew it was bound to fail. Especially with the dysfunctional owner the team had at the time. Had he coached qbs, then became an OC maybe now he'd be a successful HC in the CFL or somewhere else. He never went back to coaching after he was fired.

up to this point, Dinwiddie has not had success as a coach, the team doesn't have a win, or has one, can't remember. Part of that has to be coaching.

Other than that, I agree with all you said.

Dinwiddie may well prove to be an excellent coach. 

Dinwiddie was a pretty good OC for us in the 2nd half of 2008 when Berry took away Kit Cartwright's responsibilities and then gave up himself too.

If I were him I'd head back to the states next year and try to work my way up in NCAA.  Just look at where his backup from the 07 Grey Cup is.  Spent one year coaching Johnny Football and heading into his second year as head coach at Texas Tech, base salary over $2 million a year.  Loads of money to be made there.

Greatness as a player doesn't always mean greatness as a coach, so how they did in their playing careers isn't really relevant.

Matt could  have been a great coach but he wasn't willing to pay his dues. He never was a qb coach, starting on the bottom & working his way up. He accepted a dual position of GM & HC of the Stamps with zero experience so you kinda knew it was bound to fail. Especially with the dysfunctional owner the team had at the time. Had he coached qbs, then became an OC maybe now he'd be a successful HC in the CFL or somewhere else. He never went back to coaching after he was fired.

I think this is going to be the case with Calvillo as well.  He would be wise to begin his coaching career as a QB coach instead of jumping straight into the OC gig.  In my mind I think he is making a mistake by not getting involved with the Als. right now instead of enjoying an extended holiday away from the game.  By the time he comes knocking opportunity may have already walked.

I can only agree with that last part, but just about me.  My post was full on snark.  Leave the rest of the board out of this.

But what you're arguing doesn't really make much sense.  Garcia JUST got here.  He hasn't had a sniff of the CFL in a long while.  As far as I know he doesn't have any coaching experience either.

Compounding on his lack of credentials (of which none are coaching), you are also midway through the season, any coordinator change would mean essentially canning any kind of system they had in place.  That or they make him the OC of a system he had nothing to do with.

Realistically you have to go with Dinwiddie for now.