Moving On -- Looking Ahead To Tuesday

Noeller

Grigsby's a great receiver out of the backfield, but that's not the same skill set as running accurate patterns and getting open.  As I've said before... I blame the lack of a running game more on the O line than the RB's.

No he's not! He juggles quite a few, drops some, and once caused a touchdown the other way!

Grigsby's a great receiver out of the backfield, but that's not the same skill set as running accurate patterns and getting open.  As I've said before... I blame the lack of a running game more on the O line than the RB's.

That's selective reasoning at best. Yes some times the running game fails because of the o-line... but other times it fails because the back isn't good enough at getting away from people. Sometimes a back has to take it upon himself to make something out of nothing, Grigsby doesn't do that. 

A lot of his losses I see are because we telegraph our running plays to well, and are far to predictable in our sets. I'm about 95% when we run and I don't 'study' film. More often than not when Grigsby gets the hand off he's looking into the whites of the eyes of at least one defender. When he gets space he does well. Cotton was no better in the few carries he had. I know we want to see him, I do too. But in the little action he's had, he's done no better, nor would Messam, Ford, Pringle, Reaves (best bomber RB ever), Roberts, etc. You can't make a move when you have zero seconds to think. 

The Bombers need to be better at disguising their runs and in properly maintaining their blocks. But as I mentioned, we're just starting this rebuild here, and our oline needs a lot of work. I'm not surprised this is happening. We still have a long way to go. Only bad thing is we're in the West this year - if we were in the East, if we beat Toronto Tuesday you could have started buying Eastern Final tickets on Wednesday. But due to the inbalanced schedule, when Toronto gets healthy and Hamilton starting to play a lot better, I don't think we get in the playoffs. 

Cotton was no better in the few carries he had. I know we want to see him, I do too. But in the little action he's had, he's done no better, nor would Messam, Ford, Pringle, Reaves (best bomber RB ever), Roberts, etc. You can't make a move when you have zero seconds to think. 

i discussed that in another thread, the handful of one off carries he has actually gotten are not anywhere close to being any kind of sample size to draw conclusions from. He was better at getting yards in pre-season than Grigsby when dealing with the same things, give him an actual workload to see if he is better or not. It's too easy to just blame the OL or the game plan, Grigsby is leaving yards on the field because he is terrible at making people miss and too hesitant a runner. 

IMO he's shown better as a receiver when he's been lined up out wide.  Dropped a bunch out of the backfield, plus he can't do much after the catch unless he's in wide open space, he has a bit of trouble catching passes in stride in the middle of the field too.

Btw how did Ford look behind the best oline in the CFL? Lets give Sask dline some credit here. When MOS says he is happy with Grigsby well thats good enough for me. Man i swear some fans are never happy.

Fans have eyes, We saw Cotton and Grigsby both in preseason and one of them was better, but he got hurt. Then Grigsby had a good start to the year and they can't justify taking him out. O'Shea is never going to say anything negative in the press about a player, we just have to hope that they'll make the change because we can't keep using a back who goes down as easy as Grigsby. 

A stat on one of last nights game said that Grigsby's used in more than 25% of our offensive plays.  IIRC he was 4th on the list of most used players.  The coaches must see something in him to warrant that number of touches.

Well, this is also Bellefuile's M.O...  

How did we come out of the Sask. game injury wise? A Tuesday game with Monday flight day leaves you no time to get over injuries...

I believe the only injury was to Teague Sherman. Based on what I saw from sitting behind the Bombers bench, I'd say he's doubtful for this week. My guess is Neufeld will be good to go and Moore is 50/50.

A stat on one of last nights game said that Grigsby's used in more than 25% of our offensive plays.  IIRC he was 4th on the list of most used players.  The coaches must see something in him to warrant that number of touches.

He's the starting runningback with an offensive coordinator that likes to use runningbacks in the passing game.... Moore has missed games to injury, Watson has missed games to injury, Kelly has missed games to inury... is it any wonder the RB on the team has a higher percentage of plays going to him? He's been basically the only constant on the offense. 

I also am looking forward to Tuesday, if we can avoid the costly turnovers, I believe we kick ass and take names.

As long as they address the root cause of the turnovers. An anemic running game which led to additional pressure on Willy. Week after week I've been amazed that the play action continued to work for the Bombers. 

Btw how did Ford look behind the best oline in the CFL? Lets give Sask dline some credit here. When MOS says he is happy with Grigsby well thats good enough for me. Man i swear some fans are never happy.

Fans have eyes, We saw Cotton and Grigsby both in preseason and one of them was better, but he got hurt. Then Grigsby had a good start to the year and they can't justify taking him out. O'Shea is never going to say anything negative in the press about a player, we just have to hope that they'll make the change because we can't keep using a back who goes down as easy as Grigsby.

Cotton was no better in the few carries he had.

He had one carry in the game against SK, and 4 against Ham.  That's hardly enough to judge him on how well he runs the ball.

You totally miss what I said, didn't you. When he got the ball, the defenders were in the backfield with him - hence why he only has the carries he has. My point is this my friend - you could bring any RB in the world and plop them in the Bomber backfield - if he gets the ball and is looking into the whites of the eyes of the defender - he ain't going anywhere. Until our Oline gets stronger, and we can disguise our runs better, Cotton, Grigsby, or me. Doesn't matter. 

I also am looking forward to Tuesday, if we can avoid the costly turnovers, I believe we kick ass and take names.

Only one practice this week prior to the game will hurt.
Plus the Argos are coming off a bye .. Plenty of time to recoup and prepare for us .. Going to be a tough game in the Big Smoke.

They still have a crappy oline, crippled by injuries and our dline is healthy.. I don't see the toughness of this game.. just another game to me...

He had one carry in the game against SK, and 4 against Ham.  That's hardly enough to judge him on how well he runs the ball.

You totally miss what I said, didn't you. When he got the ball, the defenders were in the backfield with him - hence why he only has the carries he has. My point is this my friend - you could bring any RB in the world and plop them in the Bomber backfield - if he gets the ball and is looking into the whites of the eyes of the defender - he ain't going anywhere. Until our Oline gets stronger, and we can disguise our runs better, Cotton, Grigsby, or me. Doesn't matter. 

Charles Roberts regularly left guys grasping for air in the backfield. Now I'm not expecting these guys on the team now to be as good as Charles Roberts, but it clearly goes to show that your "no running back would make a difference" argument is flawed. I expect a back to be able to make people miss at least sometimes, Grigsby has done it only a handful of times and seems to have a remarkable ability to run into tacklers. He's not making enough people miss and that's a problem. Cotton I think can make more people miss and can generate more yards as a result. He might get stuff for a loss too, but I bet he won't get stuffed for a loss as often., 

Westerman never actually said he wouldn't sign... he just wanted to sign later or after this season, trying to up his value.  Buono didn't like it and now its a stand off.

Buono puts a lot of pressure on his free agent up-comers to sign an extension ... if they won't he threatens to bench them .. used this kind of pressure on Harris last year

Charles Roberts regularly left guys grasping for air in the backfield. Now I'm not expecting these guys on the team now to be as good as Charles Roberts, but it clearly goes to show that your "no running back would make a difference" argument is flawed. I expect a back to be able to make people miss at least sometimes, Grigsby has done it only a handful of times and seems to have a remarkable ability to run into tacklers. He's not making enough people miss and that's a problem. Cotton I think can make more people miss and can generate more yards as a result. He might get stuff for a loss too, but I bet he won't get stuffed for a loss as often., 

Got to agree, I've never witnessed a RB get so many touches and come up with so few rushing yards as Grigsby in recent games.  In the last 3 games he has carried the ball 39 times and gained a total of 82 yds. and in two of those games his avg. carry has been just over or just under 1 yard per carry.  I repeat 1 yard per carry.  If you remove his longest runs of each of those 3 games it reduces his yards gained to 43 yds. gained on 36 carries!!! 

I believe it was established in past discussions that the BB don't really have the worst O-line in the league and they actually fall in at about the middle of the pack based on statistics.  I believe Hamilton, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto and perhaps BC at times have all been considered to have weaker O-lines than the Bombers.  Not one of those teams has a RB that continues to play with running stats. any where near as pathetic as Grigsby's recent numbers.  Good blocking or bad it's not all on the O-line and, a RB at some point has to be able to create some yards on their own and in this respect Grigsby has been a dismal failure.

The most amazing thing is that Marcel and/or O'Shea keep calling his number as the starting tail back.