Moving On -- Looking Ahead To Tuesday

Noeller

Cotton was no better in the few carries he had.

He had one carry in the game against SK, and 4 against Ham.  That's hardly enough to judge him on how well he runs the ball.

You totally miss what I said, didn't you. When he got the ball, the defenders were in the backfield with him - hence why he only has the carries he has. My point is this my friend - you could bring any RB in the world and plop them in the Bomber backfield - if he gets the ball and is looking into the whites of the eyes of the defender - he ain't going anywhere. Until our Oline gets stronger, and we can disguise our runs better, Cotton, Grigsby, or me. Doesn't matter. 

Charles Roberts regularly left guys grasping for air in the backfield. Now I'm not expecting these guys on the team now to be as good as Charles Roberts, but it clearly goes to show that your "no running back would make a difference" argument is flawed. I expect a back to be able to make people miss at least sometimes, Grigsby has done it only a handful of times and seems to have a remarkable ability to run into tacklers. He's not making enough people miss and that's a problem. Cotton I think can make more people miss and can generate more yards as a result. He might get stuff for a loss too, but I bet he won't get stuffed for a loss as often., 

Got to agree, I've never witnessed a RB get so many touches and come up with so few rushing yards as Grigsby in recent games.  In the last 3 games he has carried the ball 39 times and gained a total of 82 yds. and in two of those games his avg. carry has been just over or just under 1 yard per carry.  I repeat 1 yard per carry.  If you remove his longest runs of each of those 3 games it reduces his yards gained to 43 yds. gained on 36 carries!!! 

I believe it was established in past discussions that the BB don't really have the worst O-line in the league and they actually fall in at about the middle of the pack based on statistics.  I believe Hamilton, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto and perhaps BC at times have all been considered to have weaker O-lines than the Bombers.  Not one of those teams has a RB that continues to play with running stats. any where near as pathetic as Grigsby's recent numbers.  Good blocking or bad, a RB at some point has to be able to create some yards on their own and in this respect Grigsby has been a dismal failure.

The most amazing thing is that Marcel and/or O'Shea keep calling his number as the starting tail back.  

Well, believe it or not I'd like to see Cotton in there as a starter as well, and given at least 15 carries in a game (and 20 to 25 total touches) to see what he can do. I just feel that Grigsby is a victim of the BB's offensive scheme and lack of run blocking. 

One thing was nice to see (though I want to see it being affective for a few more games before I consider it solved) was the short yardage plays. Looked much better against that vaunted Sk Dline and about time, as prior to that we had, by far, the worst short yardage team I've ever seen, period, by any team. 

Short week and we are a little dinged up on offence. Going into a place no CFLer likes to go. I still think we win this one. Would show some character in the team if we can bounce back from a bad loss and win under these circumstances.

As for TO. They are really banged up on both sides of the ball. They had the buy week but sometimes it doesn't help. After a bad start to the season the last thing you want is your players not playing. Can you believe they are still in sole possession of first still and they didn't play this week!!

How did we come out of the Sask. game injury wise? A Tuesday game with Monday flight day leaves you no time to get over injuries...

just as important how has the Argos. injury situation changed in the last two weeks? If Durie and Owens are back Ray will have something to work with.

Durie doesn't come off the 6 game IR until August 22 and Owens comes off on August 31.

How did we come out of the Sask. game injury wise? A Tuesday game with Monday flight day leaves you no time to get over injuries...

just as important how has the Argos. injury situation changed in the last two weeks? If Durie and Owens are back Ray will have something to work with.

Durie doesn't come off the 6 game IR until August 22 and Owens comes off on August 31.

Those are max. times, if they're ready to go before then they can play, just like Lulay in BC.

I sure hope that the Bombers look on this game as a sort of revenge game for the last one slipping away from them instead of a practice session. If the Bombers put out a good effort and maybe even give Toronto a good thumping, it will restore any lost confidence they might have. Another loss would be very bad for team morale and confidence and going into a tough stretch of games, we need the biggest head start possible. Barring some sort of miracle acquisitions, the core of the team is not going to change all that much from here on in, and in some of those games, the difference between winning and losing might be confidence.

Mos has not had to make many changes because we are sitting at 5-2 but the oline comes to mind and sitting vets like Suber tells me MOS plays who he thinks is the best.

Suber was hurt in preseason no? So that's a move because of injury, most moves have been made because of injury. Other than that no one has really come off the roster. It is far too premature to go about making claims like "if you don't perform MOS doesn't let you play" If anything he is showing remarkable patience with players. 

Those are max. times, if they're ready to go before then they can play, just like Lulay in BC.

Lulay didn't come off early. He was scheduled to come off the 6 game IR on August 7 and the Lions game that he was dressed for was on the 8th. Durie and Owens are still on the 6 game IR. Durie can't start practicing until August 13 and Owens the 22nd unless they are taken off the 6 game IR early which they haven't been.

Mos has not had to make many changes because we are sitting at 5-2 but the oline comes to mind and sitting vets like Suber tells me MOS plays who he thinks is the best.

Suber was hurt in preseason no? So that's a move because of injury, most moves have been made because of injury. Other than that no one has really come off the roster. It is far too premature to go about making claims like "if you don't perform MOS doesn't let you play" If anything he is showing remarkable patience with players. 

Suber been healthy for awhile and there was rumblings he should dress last game. MOS has stated since he got here it all about win-losses. You telling me he will put up

with under-performing players because?

Suber been healthy for awhile and there was rumblings he should dress last game. MOS has stated since he got here it all about win-losses. You telling me he will put up

Bombers have been trying to trade Suber for a few weeks.

I am saying that the only moves that he has made so far have been due to injuries really. I know what happened with Suber, he got hurt and someone else went in and did the job well so he can't get back into the lineup. Same kind of thing happened with Grigsby, Cotton got hurt in preseason and Grigsby had a good start to the year so he didn't come out, but I haven't seen anything to suggest at this point that O'Shea is going by what you initially stated. I am telling you Grigsby is underperforming and we haven't seen a change made... 

m figuring out how they will fit in stoudermire with cotton and woods still on the lineup.
one of way to do it it is by starting 3 N rec watson, feoli-gudino and kohlert with carter as backup. bryant will move to 46.
i think i want to see this, i don't think there's a drop off between watson (if he can stay the whole game) and bryant

that makes 9 starting canadians... with 3 OLs (greaves, morley and neufeld) and 3 on D (thomas, bucknor and jones)
cotton and grigsby and woods will still be in the lineup. backup I on D are anderson, kuale, unamba and stoudermire.

Well, at least TO has problems defending the run.....because our run game, in the last 3.....has been disgraceful.....yards per carry is ridiculous.   Either we bring in some imports to jig this line, or Marcel will have to re-design things a bit.   As far as run D....yes the Etch scheme, leaves some gaps - but too many Bombers bouncing off the RB....far too many yards after contact.... ongoing problem, this year.

Expect Willy to have a bounce back game....as there is not much wrong with his overall game, anyways......

I'm worried that the Bombers run game looks good this week against the Argos. The Argos are no good at stopping the run. Bombers run game will look good and the coaching staff says "problem solved". Meanwhile we go into Sask for the Labour Day game and can't run the ball again.

So you'd have more confidence going into Labour Day if our run game was terrible tomorrow?

Bombers have been trying to trade Suber for a few weeks.

With the new CBA, does anyone know how late in the year you can release a veteran?  

I'm worried that the Bombers run game looks good this week against the Argos. The Argos are no good at stopping the run. Bombers run game will look good and the coaching staff says "problem solved". Meanwhile we go into Sask for the Labour Day game and can't run the ball again.

So you'd have more confidence going into Labour Day if our run game was terrible tomorrow?

I don't know how to know its 'fixed' when playing against lesser competition. Do you?

I just think the Bombers will get a false sense of accomplishment/progress with the running game after this week. When in reality the problem isn't fixed.

I don't know how to know its 'fixed' when playing against lesser competition. Do you?

I just think the Bombers will get a false sense of accomplishment/progress with the running game after this week. When in reality the problem isn't fixed.

Do you really think the coaches are that stupid? They've already had talks about fixing the running game. I don't think they'll give that up because of just one game...nor will they give up trying to upgrade the team in all aspects all the time!

we have a game against the Als prior to the LDC game though. so 1 game more to solve our running game woes.

Looks like Coombs not only misses this week .. but he's been placed on the 6 game IR as well ..

We absolutely *HAVE* to have our way with the Argo offense ..

They've still got some good runningbacks.  I think with two or three more days of prep and rest time, we walk over the Argos. I don't see how by the fourth quarter we're going to have much gas left in the tank, and that's when Ray is going to destroy us with his precision passing.  This short week is total bullshit.

Looks like Coombs not only misses this week .. but he's been placed on the 6 game IR as well ..

We absolutely *HAVE* to have our way with the Argo offense ..

They've still got some good runningbacks.  I think with two or three more days of prep and rest time, we walk over the Argos. I don't see how by the fourth quarter we're going to have much gas left in the tank, and that's when Ray is going to destroy us with his precision passing.  This short week is total bullshit.

Completely agree.

At this point in time, the Bomber roster is simply healthier.  Our offense has more play makers at it's disposal.  Our defense has been playing really good ball.  This week *SHOULD* be a cakewalk (though with Ray behind center, anything is possible).   Unfortunately, we get saddled with the only Tuesday game on the entire schedule and are coming off a game where we didn't close and a few guys are dinged up .. if anything is going to test the resiliency of this team .. it's going to be this.