Don Matthews joins Als coaching staff

I am honestly a little surprised that Matthews accepted the position.  At 75, I would have thought he'd want to be done with football once and for all.  Not exactly an optimal situation he will be walking into in Montreal either.

If you saw his interview last year on TSN when he was in BC (can't remember why he was there) he said that he'd beaten the cancer was ready to get back to work. He also has a teenage son (oooh gross I know) and so still needs to keep working.

While Higgins is an average coach to good coach at the best of times if he has the right roster, you can't blame this on him. This is squarely on Wettenhall and Popp. Popp has had his worst offseason that I can recall, and Higgins was hired very late in the offseason compared to when coaches are hired. Considering that point he was also likely unable to assemble the coaching staff he wanted. If Higgins was hired around the time O'Shea or Jones were, would Worman have been his OC? Considering how long it's been since he held the position on a team, I'd say not likely. Ontop of that Popp had no idea Higgins was even hired (your GM should be picking the coach as we all know) until he heard in the media Wettenhall had hired him. The issues with Montreal start at the very top.

hope it goes better than his last coaching gig for their sake.

He's a consultant, not a coach.

David William Naylor        ✔ @TSNDaveNaylor

The return of "The Don" in Mtl, not shocking. Won't be stunned if Turk Schonert becomes head coach some time this season. #cfl #als

Interesting.

Is he consulting on how to improve concession revenue?

Doubt Matthews is going to get back into coaching at 75 but a little pocket change never hurts.  I don't think any of the Als. coaches are in line to be fired as the screw ups came from above.  Even in the case of Dinwiddie he was thrown into the fire when they canned Worman so I can't see them holding him responsible for their on field problems.  He's a young guy so he'll most likely accept a demotion back to assistant when they come up with a better option for O.C. but can't see that being either Matthews or this Turk guy.  I guess it's safe to assume the Als did not have a dedicated QB coach prior to this hiring?

Seems crazy.. 

If they fire any coaches mid season, then Popp should be on the way out.

That would be two consecutive seasons in which they canned coaches mid season and i don't know if this has happened before..  Seems crazy.

Its about time mtrl sucked for a while. Sad thing is that the Other teams in east arent able to take advantage of it as they also suck... So far that is.