Don Matthews joins Als coaching staff

How could both people (Popp and Wettenhall) get stupid at the same time? Montreal was one of the best run franchises for the past few years and suddenly its a gong show.

Trestman?

the team was well-run before Trestman...

Calvillo?? It sure makes it easy to run a team when you're winning all the time...

Popp had his mind on the NFL through the off-season... now he is bungling his chance to ever make it 'big' and screwing up the Alouettes along the way.

popp just signed an extension this past off season so there goes that theory. 

Except he signed it like three weeks ago.

I wonder if Hoggins was on board with this or if it was forced on him.

Ya think? Higgins is the HC but we know Popp is calling the shots there. The way I see it, Popp GM's IQ sure dropped when AC got hurt last season & then retired. I predict he'll never win another GC in Montreal. 

How could both people (Popp and Wettenhall) get stupid at the same time? Montreal was one of the best run franchises for the past few years and suddenly its a gong show.

Trestman?

the team was well-run before Trestman...

Calvillo?? It sure makes it easy to run a team when you're winning all the time...

Disagree.  Calvillo looked he was done until Trestman took over that team.  Trestman's max protection scheme got a few more years out of Calvillo. 

And wasn't trying Popp to be GM/HC for a while?

Matthews was with the Als in a consultant role at the end of last season as well, so it's not surprising. I'd actually be more surprised if Higgins is the Head Coach next season.

As for all the organizational issues in Montreal, a lot of that falls on Bob's son Andrew Wetenhall, who was the one behind the Higgins hire. Andrew is not a big fan of the power his father has given Popp and took issue with Popp's job hunt down south. With Popp now signed on for another 3 years (with no out clause), it seems as though Bob has realized that a mistake was made and given Popp back his say in all things football.

Popp has made some massive mistakes as of late as well. Pretty much the only reason that Hawkins was hired last season, is that Hawkins agreed to keep Trestman's system in place (during the interview process), that obviously didn't last long, but IMO it was stupid and naive of Popp to think any coach wouldn't want to do things his own way. Having no successor plan for after Calvillo is another big one, although that also partially falls on Trestman as well, Calvillo would never leave games early, pretty much played every second/game and received north of 85% of the practice reps leaving little time for others to get the reps needed. Popp is also the reason that Smith is the starter in Montreal and also the reason that Johnson is on the roster and starting (even though the coaching staff thinks he lazy during games).

Look for a new Head Coach in Montreal next season, I'm expecting it to be either Schonert or Thorpe.

Wetenhall has made it clear to Popp that he doesn't want Popp in the dual HC/GM role, but besides that the hiring and firing are up to Popp.

Montreal's a mess.  I don't think very highly of Higgins, but when you hire a coach you've got to give him at least two seasons to see if he can do something (unless your coach is Mike Kelly or Tim Burke). Essentially, as long as your coach isn't a COMPLETE assclown like the two I just mentioned, they should get a chance to prove themselves.  They deserve a fair shot.

This isn't on Higgins.  Its starting to look worse and worse on Popp.  Hawkins can be seen as a mulligan, but combine a Hawkins and Higgins consecutive mid-season firing (obviously, if they did fire him) and together it shows that this team has no collective clue what to do organizationally.

Montreal's a mess.  I don't think very highly of Higgins, but when you hire a coach you've got to give him at least two seasons to see if he can do something (unless your coach is Mike Kelly or Tim Burke). Essentially, as long as your coach isn't a COMPLETE assclown like the two I just mentioned, they should get a chance to prove themselves.  They deserve a fair shot.

This isn't on Higgins.  Its starting to look worse and worse on Popp.  Hawkins can be seen as a mulligan, but combine a Hawkins and Higgins consecutive mid-season firing (obviously, if they did fire him) and together it shows that this team has no collective clue what to do organizationally.

How can Higgins do his job when he's already got the axe hanging over his head before the season even started? What a clusterfuck of a situation.