Bonus Do or Die Detailed Half Time Report

Game was frustrating to say the least.  Not the best called game play wise, but it was just one of those nights where I think even with good play calls the execution just wasn't going our way.  In two down football especially, such games come.

Edmonton's D and Reilly's legs have carried the way for them so far, but it won't be long before the roof falls in on them too, as it does with everyone in this league.

For us, we just gotta do what every other team does, put this game behind us and just get back to making a better game plan for next week.

That was atrocious. There is a very good chance that the team we saw today is much closer to the team we have than the team of the first two games. Yikes. One thing is certain, the line up should look a lot different next game. Some guys played themselves off the field.

Any guesses on who goes ?

Let's remember Greaves is still out and with the rough go we've had at O-line, going up against that defensive front was rough.

I don't know that I would just throw the book at too many people just yet, I'd let O'Shea look at the game film and wisely make his choices.

My take:

1.  Don't throw Drew Willy under the bus, he had a bad one, but like we talked about at the beginning of the year, you have gotta stay patient with him through these kinds of games.  He had a bad one today, he'll be back with more good ones starting next week or soon after.

2.  Maybe look at the O-line a bit to see if there needs to be a slight repositioning there, but again carefully before rolling heads.

3.  I did see someone else mention maybe bench Grigsby.  I'm split on that one, because while I've liked what he did over the first 3 weeks, he wasn't on his game tonight and possibly Paris Cotton would shake things up a bit.

At the end of the day though, it was one of those nights we just didn't catch any breaks.  Nick Moore's fumble stifled our momentum to get back in it in the 3rd quarter, a frustrating play, but unfortunately happened to us.  And the close play where Bowman got ruled down before that ball came out.  Just wasn't our night tonight, and while I'm mad as hell we only put up 3 points on that board, such games have happened to even good teams before, so let's let the season play out before we go calling for drastic moves.

TBH, being 3-0 already was exceeding expectations, so I gotta give the coaching staff and players, considering the mess they've had to build this from, a pass for at least a few of the losses, even more so because you can't win them all in this league.  Wasn't expecting more than 6 wins coming into this year, so take it how you will, I fully expect O'Shea gets em back up to play again next week.

Both QBs are lucky to be alive, unfortunately Reily is a bigger, stronger guy that can run. Why fault a QB for having little time and someone in his face all night. My concern is Etchevry has too many players on the LOS, great when it works but when an offensive player gets to the second level there is too much open field and the DBs are then left to come up. The end result is either no gain or too many large chunks of yardage gained. Let's be realistic no one is going 18-0.

That was atrocious. There is a very good chance that the team we saw today is much closer to the team we have than the team of the first two games. Yikes. One thing is certain, the line up should look a lot different next game. Some guys played themselves off the field.

Any guesses on who goes ?

I'm not insightful enough about football to be certain. But Cotton struggled. Sherman was awful. O-line had a tough night.

Both QBs are lucky to be alive, unfortunately Reily is a bigger, stronger guy that can run. Why fault a QB for having little time and someone in his face all night. My concern is Etchevry has too many players on the LOS, great when it works but when an offensive player gets to the second level there is too much open field and the DBs are then left to come up. The end result is either no gain or too many large chunks of yardage gained. Let's be realistic no one is going 18-0.

Etch had 11 guys on the line of scrimmage at one point

I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't think our o-line played poorly or doesn't understand why they are being criticized simply doesn't understand basic, fundamental football. Sorry to be harsh but that's just a fact, end of story. They weren't the only problem, but they were easily the biggest problem.

I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't think our o-line played poorly or doesn't understand why they are being criticized simply doesn't understand basic, fundamental football. Sorry to be harsh but that's just a fact, end of story. They weren't the only problem, but they were easily the biggest problem.

Apparently Bob Wylie was nowhere to be seen last night.  Can someone who attended the game please confirm this?

No I don't think the OL was the biggest problem. Yeah they had some bad moments but the biggest problem by far were the receivers. There were times Willy had plenty of time to get the ball out and kept looking and looking and looking but no targets. Everything save for a couple passes were to check down options. And when he did get the ball away the receivers were as likely to drop it as they were to catch it. Grigsby served up 7 points failing to catch a pretty straight forward pass but instead he volleyed it up right to Willis who of course has an easy run into the endzone. 

Apparently Bob Wylie was nowhere to be seen last night.  Can someone who attended the game please confirm this?

When we got to the game I swear I saw him in the south end zone during warm ups wearing the same white shirt he always does coaching the o line guys. Unless we have another 300+ lb man as a coach? I didn't see him during the game however.

No I don't think the OL was the biggest problem. Yeah they had some bad moments but the biggest problem by far were the receivers. There were times Willy had plenty of time to get the ball out and kept looking and looking and looking but no targets. Everything save for a couple passes were to check down options. And when he did get the ball away the receivers were as likely to drop it as they were to catch it. Grigsby served up 7 points failing to catch a pretty straight forward pass but instead he volleyed it up right to Willis who of course has an easy run into the endzone.

Why oh why couldn't Willis do that in 2011 during the GC......things would be so much different around here ;)