Bonus Do or Die Detailed Half Time Report

I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't think our o-line played poorly or doesn't understand why they are being criticized simply doesn't understand basic, fundamental football. Sorry to be harsh but that's just a fact, end of story. They weren't the only problem, but they were easily the biggest problem.

Apparently Bob Wylie was nowhere to be seen last night. Can someone who attended the game please confirm this?
When we got to the game I swear I saw him in the south end zone during warm ups wearing the same white shirt he always does coaching the o line guys. Unless we have another 300+ lb man as a coach? I didn't see him during the game however.

Hmmmmm.

I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't think our o-line played poorly or doesn't understand why they are being criticized simply doesn't understand basic, fundamental football. Sorry to be harsh but that's just a fact, end of story. They weren't the only problem, but they were easily the biggest problem.

Apparently Bob Wylie was nowhere to be seen last night.  Can someone who attended the game please confirm this?

When we got to the game I swear I saw him in the south end zone during warm ups wearing the same white shirt he always does coaching the o line guys. Unless we have another 300+ lb man as a coach? I didn't see him during the game however.

I guess he could have been up in the spotters box.  Is there elevator access?

Apparently Bob Wylie was nowhere to be seen last night. Can someone who attended the game please confirm this?

I guess he could have been up in the spotters box. Is there elevator access?

Maybe he was up helping Marcie call those awesome plays?

I don't know why the o-line is scrutinized... aside from Knapp being owned a few times Willy had PLENTY of time to throw.  Grigsby had holes... he just didn't hit them well.

I would have to watch the tape.

Sorry, I meant to say I would have to watch thru the tape - by halftime I had wrapped my head in duct tape to make the horror stop.

O-line played poorly, but blocking in general was bad.  Lining up double tights wasn't effective at all.  There were at least a few plays that there was space between receivers and DBs but Willy was busy trying to escape the pressure.

I found there was a general lack of adjustments to the offensive scheme. Lots of opportunities to run some screen plays.  They could have also tried with any type of misdirection to get Willy moving.  Really surprising they didn't even try to mix it up. 

Agreed. The adjustments and overall offensive gameplan has been suspect at best the last two weeks. Two weeks in a row we've faced teams where the plan should have been to get the ball out of Willy's hands quickly and we failed. Remember the Toronto game and how quick Willy was getting rid of the ball? That needed to keep on happening. Aside from our offensive line play, Marcel's game plans and play calling have not been very good the past couple of games. Not surprising really considering his track record.

No I don't think the OL was the biggest problem. Yeah they had some bad moments but the biggest problem by far were the receivers. There were times Willy had plenty of time to get the ball out and kept looking and looking and looking but no targets. Everything save for a couple passes were to check down options. And when he did get the ball away the receivers were as likely to drop it as they were to catch it. Grigsby served up 7 points failing to catch a pretty straight forward pass but instead he volleyed it up right to Willis who of course has an easy run into the endzone. 

When you have five receivers and the defence is dropping eight or nine guys into coverage on second and long because your first down play resulted in a loss or no gain, the math isn't that hard to figure out. Of course no one is going to be open.

No I don't think the OL was the biggest problem. Yeah they had some bad moments but the biggest problem by far were the receivers. There were times Willy had plenty of time to get the ball out and kept looking and looking and looking but no targets. Everything save for a couple passes were to check down options. And when he did get the ball away the receivers were as likely to drop it as they were to catch it. Grigsby served up 7 points failing to catch a pretty straight forward pass but instead he volleyed it up right to Willis who of course has an easy run into the endzone. 

When you have five receivers and the defence is dropping eight or nine guys into coverage on second and long because your first down play resulted in a loss or no gain, the math isn't that hard to figure out. Of course no one is going to be open.

it wasn't just on 2nd down. Blaming the OL has become a crutch around these parts. I don't blame people it's been an issue for several years, but last night falls more on the receivers than it does on anything else (though I'd put a lot of blame at the feet of the game plan as well, last few weeks haven't done themselves any favours in that regard)

Even then, it seemed the d-line got pressure on Willy with relative ease.

Even then, it seemed the d-line got pressure on Willy with relative ease.

Exactly. Willis literally steamrolling Dan Knapp on a four man pass rush summed up the night perfectly in the fourth quarter. 

All of that aside, there were several key plays that turned this game in the Esks favour.

1. The Grigsby giveaway

2. The Feoli-Gudino drop 

3. The Moore fumble

4. Several Reilly runs that should have been sacks

5. The FG that hit the upright

If those plays are made, we may be talking about a win.

Seriously...if 2 and 3 are both TD's...how much complaining would we be doing about MB's offensive scheme?  

Yes, this team needs to be better, but they will win some more games.  The opportunities to win were there. 

This is NOT the 2013 team.

All of that aside, there were several key plays that turned this game in the Esks favour.

1. The Grigsby giveaway

2. The Feoli-Gudino drop 

3. The Moore fumble

Seriously...if 2 and 3 are both TD's...how much complaining would we be doing about MB's offensive scheme?  

Yes, this team needs to be better, but they will win some more games.  The opportunities to win were there. 

There is a lot of truth here that makes me feel much better..

1. The Grigsby giveaway

2. The Feoli-Gudino drop 

3. The Moore fumble

There is a lot of truth here that makes me feel much better..

I think you can add the Fitzgerald wiff on a block immediately after the deep reception to Denmark near the end of the first half. Punching it in there would have been huge.

Regardless....I think yesterday was simply one of those nights you attribute as just a bad game. It's bound to happen in an 18 game season, and we certainly won't be the only team to have that happen this year. Yes there are areas of concern, no doubt about it, but this is a team miles ahead of where it was last year. The main goal this year was to be competitive with other teams in the league this year and see where that takes us. Three out of four games this year we've been very successful in doing that.

Regardless....I think yesterday was simply one of those nights you attribute as just a bad game. It's bound to happen in an 18 game season, and we certainly won't be the only team to have that happen this year. Yes there are areas of concern, no doubt about it, but this is a team miles ahead of where it was last year. The main goal this year was to be competitive with other teams in the league this year and see where that takes us. Three out of four games this year we've been very successful in doing that.

This is how I see it too. You could just tell that things were not working. They bumbled their way around so many facets where they just made simple fundamental mistakes. Catching and tackling should never be things to worry about going into a game. Even the field goal that hit the post, an inch or two more inside it probably deflects off and through. Just one of those nights where you can't do anything right. If we'd said before the season started we'd be 3-1 after 4 games I think everyone would have taken that without a second thought. 

This team has done a lot of good things thusfar, one bad game doesn't negate them. 

Wylie was there, do believe during the game he was up in the box though, Charbs was on the sidelines i believe but Wylie definitely was there. Oline has a couple holes, but it has potential when greaves gets back to be pretty solid i think, not blaming howard just IMO, oline works as one, needs consistency to become good, pretty tough when Greaves, is he our best offensive lineman? I think i'd say he is, is injured, disrupts the line a bit, didn't play too bad first 2 games did they? Might have just played the best 2 Dlines in the league back to back???

Halftime comment: They need to do something about the concourse, it's just way way way way too packed at times. Lots of people just standing around doing nothing too, I understand people want to get up and stretch and do that but man, they need to somehow find a way to keep it under control a bit more. Insane. 

This is how I see it too. You could just tell that things were not working. They bumbled their way around so many facets where they just made simple fundamental mistakes. Catching and tackling should never be things to worry about going into a game. Even the field goal that hit the post, an inch or two more inside it probably deflects off and through. Just one of those nights where you can't do anything right. If we'd said before the season started we'd be 3-1 after 4 games I think everyone would have taken that without a second thought. 

This team has done a lot of good things thusfar, one bad game doesn't negate them. 

A healthy Geaves, Leggett and Watson will go a long ways for this team's success.  We do not have so much talent on this roster that we can absorb the loss of these guys.  Not only their absence, but the side-effect of having others playing away from their preferred positions.

A lot of things have to go right on gameday for this team to chalk up wins.  The players are battling hard to make it happen.

A healthy Geaves, Leggett and Watson will go a long ways for this team's success.  We do not have so much talent on this roster that we can absorb the loss of these guys.  Not only their absence, but the side-effect of having others playing away from their preferred positions.

A lot of things have to go right on gameday for this team to chalk up wins.  The players are battling hard to make it happen.

As much as you hate to blame injuries, the 2014 edition of the WBB cannot afford too many...especially to NI's.

Greaves & Watson are huge parts to the OFF. And having Sherman at Dime for the majority of the game instead of Sears certainly does weaken the D.

Hopefully, Greaves, Watson & Leggett return to the lineup within the next game or 2. 

Mark H., on 18 Jul 2014 - 2:02 PM, said:

1. The Grigsby giveaway

2. The Feoli-Gudino drop 

3. The Moore fumble

This pretty much summed up all my thoughts regarding this game.  The first 3 weeks here, we were able to catch breaks and make everything go our way when we needed to.  Last night, we couldn't but that happens to everyone in this league.  Seen good teams, even ones who've won or made it to the Grey Cup before come out and have nights like the one we had last night.  The final score I believe made the game look worse than it was, but If this team simply makes some plays where they turn the momentum around, this game turns out differently.  Plus some weeks the WRs will be making crazy catches with everything thrown at them, other weeks they just won't be on it, like they were last night.  Same with the QBs, even good ones, some nights they're in the zone hitting everything that moves, other nights their throws just don't go in sync.  That's everyone who's ever played QB.

I was afraid Bellefeuille would take heat for this game.  And I'll concede he didn't call that good of a game last night, but you could have games where you make all the right play calls in the world, but if the team doesn't execute, you don't win.  And last night, I don't think it was all the play selection being bad, it was just failure to execute on our part.  Certain sequences such as that overthrow to that wide open Feoli-Gudino, the dropped shovel pass by Cotton, etc.  I think Dunnigan had it right when he was saying, this team was just too uptight in this game.  We were playing loose and with no pressure on ourselves vs Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.  Think we may have put a little unnecessarily on ourselves in this game.

We'll have win streaks, like our 3-0 start, and losing streaks like last night, possibly this weekend in BC Place, and a few other times along the way.  But this team will get at least 7 wins, I am more than willing to bet, and that's a long way ahead of last year for sure.

Don't think the Julio Figaro Galafino play was a drop .Looked like Willy threw it to the wrong side and JFG made a great last second adjustment to make it close.

at the game JFG stopped running actually, he slowed down, if anything JFG misjudged the throw a wee bit. It was pretty obvious in person, He got his hand on it, he stopped running for a few seconds, If he didn't, Touchdown. I'm going to say it, Watson makes that catch and scores,JFG has been good but Guaranteed Watson catches it and scores. JFG has  been a very nice surprise though, not really much press when we signed him, but has turned out nice for us.