Butchko Recommends Firing Mack *update Buchko Resigns & Mack Fired Wade Miller Hired As Acting Ceo*

holoman

I seriously don't understand how Buchko is getting blamed for this, how is it his fault that this was leaked ?

Or that he isn't here when it was leaked, almost like people think he woke up last week and decided to take his family on vacation.

If the information wasn't leaked, there would be no issue. Unfreakingbelievable how Garth BUCHKO gets blamed for everything.

On an interesting note, Naylor brought up Murphy's name during his segment at halftime, and also stated that Murphy interviewed for Ottawa's job, so hopefully he'd be willing to come to the Peg.

I seriously don't understand how Buchko is getting blamed for this, how is it his fault that this was leaked ?

Or that he isn't here when it was leaked, almost like people think he woke up last week and decided to take his family on vacation.

If the information wasn't leaked, there would be no issue. Unfreakingbelievable how Garth BUCHKO gets blamed for everything.

listen to Bob Irvings thoughts on the subject, he outlines it quite well. As in, if you're going to fire Joe Mack, bloody fire Joe Mack, don't expect the BoD to keep things quiet for nearly a week when you know they talk to the media a lot. No one said a word to Mack about this according to Irving as well. That all falls at the feet of Buchko and he should be fired on the spot for such an unprofessional display. 

Since when has Buchko had free reign to do as he wished ?

You know what I give up, people clearly have a massive bias against Buchko, no logical thinking will stop that.

You know what I give up, people clearly have a massive bias against Buchko, no logical thinking will stop that.

then bring it to the board at a meeting not 5 days in advance and expect them to keep it a secret. That's the issue here. I haven't been one of the anti-Buchko people ever, but this is just a terrible way to run a team. 

The bias against Buchko comes from perception.  

CJOB signs a 7 year broadcast deal with the Bombers when TSN 1290 clearly had to be in on that bid.  Then shortly after that he leaves CJOB to become CEO of the Bombers.

One of his first news conferences as CEO is to guarantee that the stadium would be completed on time.  It was a year late.

That and for his first half year on the job he had that horrible blonde highlight thing going on.  (Is it fair to base opinion on him on how he looks ... no ... but it happens all the time regardless.  And he looks much more professional and cut out for the job since)

The perception is that he signed a back door deal to become CEO of the Bombers after giving them a 7 year radio deal with CJOB.   Other then that, what qualifies him to run a professional sports organization and make decisions on football operations? 

On an interesting note, Naylor brought up Murphy's name during his segment at halftime, and also stated that Murphy interviewed for Ottawa's job, so hopefully he'd be willing to come to the Peg.

It isn't his fault it got leaked, it's his his timing to fire him now.

He could have recommended they come up with a list of names to replace Mack...just not now, while we're technically still in it.

A football man would know this.

Couldn't he wait to meet with the board at least?

Buchko doesn't get blamed for everything in my books, but he's like a new graduate form the military academy and he's running our frigging ship!

Listening to the segment now, Irving didn't say anything negative about Buchko, he's blaming the Board entirely and the one unprofessional idiot that clearly had an agenda to leak this news.

The only blame he put on Buchko was blaming Garth for going to board of rats and thinking that they would keep it underwraps, even though he asked to keep it under wraps.

So basically Irving is saying that Buchko should have just fired Mack and not told the Rats before hand, which in hindsight he should have done, but then whats the point of the Board ? Buchko should have free reign.

Listening to the segment now, Irving didn't say anything negative about Buchko, he's blaming the Board entirely and the one unprofessional idiot that clearly had an agenda to leak this news.

The only blame he put on Buchko was blaming Garth for going to board of rats and thinking that they would keep it underwraps, even though he asked to keep it under wraps.

So basically Irving is saying that Buchko should have just fired Mack and not told the Rats before hand, which in hindsight he should have done, but then whats the point of the Board ? Buchko should have free reign.

He needs board approval for the money they will have to continue paying Mack after they fire him.

The BOD of the Bombers are a joke, some how review each one in there and reduce it from 12 to 8.Why would anyone want to be the Gm of the Bombers, Baker looks at the newspaper the next day after his interview and reads all the private discussions he had with the BOD.Baker tells them then to remove his name from the competition.

We are going to hire another GM and he will be fired within two years.It is really to bad we are not in private hands and run like our Jets.

The perception is that he signed a back door deal to become CEO of the Bombers after giving them a 7 year radio deal with CJOB.   Other then that, what qualifies him to run a professional sports organization and make decisions on football operations? 

I understand your points Rich, but at the same time, what qualifies Rhodes, Skulsky, Norrie, Rudge, Mitchell, Weightman, and Ashe ?

He needs board approval for the money they will have to continue paying Mack after they fire him.

and that's my point, Buchko can't just say "I'm firing Mack" .............. the Board needs to approve it.

If the idiot B.O.D didn't leak the info there would be nothing wrong with what Buchko did, Buchko's mistake was trusting the board, which in all honesty he should be able to, they're Board of directors for a non for profit football team, they're supposed to be professionals., this is disgusting to say the least.

I've always disliked a lot of members of the BOD, I still don't understand how they get the positions that they do, most are from failed businesses. Only people I trust on the board would be Thompson and Cameron, that's it.

and that's my point, Buchko can't just say "I'm firing Mack" .............. the Board needs to approve it.

If the idiot B.O.D didn't leak the info there would be nothing wrong with what Buchko did, Buchko's mistake was trusting the board, which in all honesty he should be able to, they're Board of directors for a non for profit football team, they're supposed to be professionals., this is disgusting to say the least.

I've always disliked a lot of members of the BOD, I still don't understand how they get the positions that they do, most are from failed businesses. Only people I trust on the board would be Thompson and Cameron, that's it.

which all comes down to the timing. Don't go days in advance, do it at the meeting. I get that it's the board that really screwed the pooch, but that doens't excuse buchko. Basically I don't want Buchko to hire a new GM and then wind up getting fired himself because opinions of his job so far are not good and then we get a new CEO who inherits a GM he didn't hire in the first place. Let's clean everything out now and start fresh while we have the chance. 

Do a nation wide headhunter search like they did to hire Buchko. There is some indication as to the flaws in the current hiring process in place in the organization.

The BoD did bring in a headhunter to do pre-interviews and make recommendations on who was qualified to get an interview with the search committee. 

The Incompetent Dozen

Don't tar and feather all BoD members based on the actions of one. Most are professional, hard working people. I have met at least 2 BoD members myself and I can't conceive of either going to the media like that.

We need a better system than the board as well.

David Asper and his siblings ran Daddy's empire into the ground and he messed up on the stadium build and yet he's on the board?

Phil Sheegl has been a part of the mess that is city hall as Winnipeg's Cao.

Vince Barletta, provincial bureucrat.

Izzy Asper was the reason for CanWest's downfall. He tried to expand too much to quickly.

As for Sheegl and Barletta, the City and Province have spots on the BoD because of the bail-out agreement and stadium agreement. The City and Province decide who will represent them, not the Bombers.

then bring it to the board at a meeting not 5 days in advance and expect them to keep it a secret. That's the issue here. I haven't been one of the anti-Buchko people ever, but this is just a terrible way to run a team.

For Buchko to request a special meeting of the BoD would require him to give a reason why he wants it called. It's part of the process.

I understand your points Rich, but at the same time, what qualifies Rhodes, Skulsky, Norrie, Rudge, Mitchell, Weightman, and Ashe ?

Exactly. Most of the CEOs/Presidents in the CFL have no football background. IIRC half were executives for media companies (ie Sun Media, Quebecor, CanWest).

Exactly. That's why I think Botch laid the egg here. 

He has a meeting scheduled in a week, yet he decides -- right before he intends to leave town -- to show his hand to some member of the board that he OBVIOUSLY didn't know well enough.

Its such an utterly amateurish move that I have ZERO confidence he can run this team.

Disagree on it all being Izzy's fault, from Canwest to the CMFHR to the Stadium his kids have just scewed up everything they've touched. Asper shouldn't be near the team. Stand by my comments on Sheegl and Barletta, neither the province or the city should have a spot on the board and the two previously mentioned come from a city and a province that are being run piss poorly.

Exactly. Most of the CEOs/Presidents in the CFL have no football background. IIRC half were executives for media companies (ie Sun Media, Quebecor, CanWest).

Yup, Skulsky-BC worked for Sun media and the province as well as canwest.

Len Rhodes-edmonton marketing and branding Ketchup and reebok.

Gordon Norrie the new President in Calgary personally worked for Sun Media.

Scott Mitchell-Ticats, a corporate guy from T.O

Chris Rudge in Toronto was the head of the canadian olympic commitee (he's the own the podium guy) and before that worked for quebecor and turned them into the top paper company in the world.

Bernie Ashe the c.e.o in Ottawa formally worked for the Sens as their C.o.o, but before and after that was a corporate guy who worked for lumber and financial companies. Mark weightman the current c.o.o in Montreal started off as an intern there after he finished school.

You can't just say "hey let's have a board meeting tonight. Be there or be square." It takes time to set one up and Board members will be told the reason for the meeting when it's being set up.

SO you say, "Meeting next week to discuss the club" not "Meeting next week so I can fire Joe Mack and finish my vacation in style."

Disagree on it all being Izzy's fault, from Canwest to the CMFHR to the Stadium his kids have just scewed up everything they've touched. Asper shouldn't be near the team.

I could not agree more with this.

Disagree on it all being Izzy's fault, from Canwest to the CMFHR to the Stadium his kids have just scewed up everything they've touched. Asper shouldn't be near the team. Stand by my comments on Sheegl and Barletta, neither the province or the city should have a spot on the board and the two previously mentioned come from a city and a province that are being run piss poorly.

Like it or not .. without David Asper's initial push .. IGF probably doesn't get built.