New Bomber culture

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/blue-experience-culture-shock-266371681.html

I don't know why this story made my heart glow, either it was the story about all the Bombers that want to visit sick kids, or that Wiecek actually wrote something worth reading.

True story: Last August, shortly after taking over as CEO of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Wade Miller asked players to sign up for volunteer visits to Children's Hospital.

It was something the club used to do when Miller was a Bombers player, but which they'd stopped doing in recent years. And Miller wanted it to start up again.

There'd be no media coverage of the visits, players were told. And also no Tweeting -- it'd just be some football players meeting with some sick kids who needed a hug from a comically oversized hero.

A couple of players signed up.

Flash forward to this year and the same sign-up sheet went up in the Bombers locker-room at the start of the season. The entire page was filled in a single day.

Then, when a Bombers staffer took the sheet down because it was full, he was scolded -- by some players who never got a chance to sign up and wanted to be involved.

You know how you've been hearing for months about how the new Bombers regime wanted to change the culture in the locker-room this season? Well, that's what a changed culture looks like.

It's about self-sacrifice and doing the right thing the right way for the right reasons -- even when no one is looking. Especially when no one is looking.

It's the Mike O'Shea way, Bombers defensive lineman Greg Peach says of his head coach.

"Right from the first day coach O'Shea met with us, he came in and told us, 'I want guys who do not need rules.' And that's basically what he's done. He's not enforcing anything -- he's expecting us to do the right things all by ourselves.

"He doesn't yell, he's not pushing us. He just expects us to expect that of ourselves. He's put it on us -- and we've responded."

Don't you just love O'Shea?  Curious to wonder what type of team we'd have if we hired Higgins instead... not that Higgins has proven anything either way as an HC... just that O'Shea has had this kind of impact on a completely moribund franchise this quickly.

I think with O'Shea it's huge dollops of positive energy mixed in with confidence, professionalism, a passion for and deep knowledge of the game, all topped off with an obsessive drive to win at almost all costs. We as fans are enamored by this as it has been so long since we have seen it. I think back to all my years of Bomber history to find a similar type coach and the only name that comes up is Mike Reilly.

Don't you just love O'Shea?  Curious to wonder what type of team we'd have if we hired Higgins instead... not that Higgins has proven anything either way as an HC... just that O'Shea has had this kind of impact on a completely moribund franchise this quickly.

I think with O'Shea it's huge dollops of positive energy mixed in with confidence, professionalism, a passion for and deep knowledge of the game, all topped off with an obsessive drive to win at almost all costs. We as fans are enamored by this as it has been so long since we have seen it. I think back to all my years of Bomber history to find a similar type coach and the only name that comes up is Mike Reilly.

While I'm cautious to heap too much praise as we haven't seen OS have to deal with adversity yet -- such as an inevitable 4 game slide -- but I think he's proving to be an exceptional hire. 

Still woulda liked Higgins as a GM. The jury is still out on Walters, IMHO.

But so far the OS experiment has been nothing but good....

this story doesn't surprise me even a little.

i tried to explain to the few Bomber fans that didn't want O'Shea (or preferred another guy) what they were getting... 

what KBF said is pretty much bang on: it's an obsessive drive to win. win every drill, win every practice, win every meeting, win every play, win every quarter, win every game, etc, etc... and when you combine that with a deep understanding of the CFL game (as evidenced by his gadget plays which are often exploits of our rules), unshakeable confidence, and his general positive outlook he just had winner written all over him.

i've told this tidbit a few times but to me it is the ultimate encapsulation of what Osh is: he once stated that he had been a player for 15 years and had won 3 Grey Cups... that means that he had failed 12 times out of 15. most outstanding rookie... 4 all-star nods... 2nd in all time tackles... doesn't matter. no Grey Cup = failure.

and yeah, part of wanting him to succeed is selfishness so that when some NFL team swoops in and takes Milanovich and Barker retires, the two southern Ontario boys stuck in Manitoba can come home.

I like what he said this week when asked what he thought about the standings being flipped in the west from there normal arrangement. He responded with I have never been in the west so I would not know what is normal.

If things remain as it is there should be a change in the attitude of free agents in the future. Who doesn't like to act like a pro because it's the right thing instead of being forced to do it by rules. And things can only get better. The press that carries a big stick will fall in line as the readers will no longer appreciate articles that only focus on the negatives.  The management in the last few years were a magnet for bad press. I have always been of the opinion you get the press on your side and you will get some slack in hard times.  

It is truly refreshing to see our team walking tall in the sunshine. 

At this point I'd give the guy a rather lengthy deal to keep being the head coach. I'm sold already and the last thing I want is for him to bugger off back to southern ontario. 

as much as i'd hate it, i could see him in Hamilsmell if the TiCats flounder and Austin goes.

After years (and I mean years) of crying out for a change in the culture, round here....I am most pleased, so far.... with the improved attitude, sense of purpose, and firm direction, emitting from O'Shea.   He wants men who can tie their own shoes, wipe their own noses, and get on with the business, in a professional manner.....otherwise they just won't  play here. 

Perhaps, FINALLY.... the longstanding culture of excuses, and the coddling of malcontents.....is over..

ps..... was back down in TO, not long after MOS was hired.....EVERY single person I spoke to ... was singing from the same songbook.... about the outstanding character and dedication of Mike O'Shea.

Now the Blue may still have their ups and downs on the field this season - but a real head coach (and a QB, for that matter) is more than half the battle....

The arrow is pointing up......

At this point I'd give the guy a rather lengthy deal to keep being the head coach. I'm sold already and the last thing I want is for him to bugger off back to southern ontario. 

as much as i'd hate it, i could see him in Hamilsmell if the TiCats flounder and Austin goes.

Except he is still under contract here.

Best case scenario, is he continues on the same trajectory he has started on, brings Winnipeg its first Grey Cup in 20+ years, is given the keys to the city, streets named after him and hailed as a football god here.  As O'Shea bonds to the city, the players, and what he is building here, he doesn't strike me as the type to just leave that to go home unless something goes horribly wrong.

Worst case scenario is he flames out and gets uncerimoniously fired.  I don't think this is the direction we are trending.

With the current head office the Bombers have, I would bet on Austin being fired before O'Shea.  

Yeah, that's my worry too. O'Shea's contract comes up and internet boy opens the vault for him with the Ti-cats to get him to move back home. It's what I would do.

Best case scenario, is he continues on the same trajectory he has started on, brings Winnipeg its first Grey Cup in 20+ years, is given the keys to the city, streets named after him and hailed as a football god here.  As O'Shea bonds to the city, the players, and what he is building here, he doesn't strike me as the type to just leave that to go home unless something goes horribly wrong.

Worst case scenario is he flames out and gets uncerimoniously fired.  I don't think this is the direction we are trending.

With the current head office the Bombers have, I would bet on Austin being fired before O'Shea.  

he and his wife and all of their roots are from here. he'll be back.

I don't doubt he will be back one day, don't think it will be in time to replace Austin.  

Personally, I don't think it matter that much to them when they're on a winning team and they're allowed to do what they want and need to do.  I couldn't see him leaving if his contract expires if our team is winning and he likes the players he's trained.  Not to mention he's in a great stadium compared to whatever crap Toronto and Hamilton have.  I think it would be hard for him to leave.