New Bomber culture

Work environment has alot to do with why people stay or go. The miller, walters, o'shea combo has something happening. There is a trust among them to allow each to do his job.It would keep me on the payrole.Money isn't everything.I use to make 2 to 3 times what I do in Alberta but I love my work enviroment so here I stay.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/blue-experience-culture-shock-266371681.html

I don't know why this story made my heart glow, either it was the story about all the Bombers that want to visit sick kids, or that Wiecek actually wrote something worth reading.

True story: Last August, shortly after taking over as CEO of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Wade Miller asked players to sign up for volunteer visits to Children's Hospital.

It was something the club used to do when Miller was a Bombers player, but which they'd stopped doing in recent years. And Miller wanted it to start up again.

There'd be no media coverage of the visits, players were told. And also no Tweeting -- it'd just be some football players meeting with some sick kids who needed a hug from a comically oversized hero.

A couple of players signed up.

Flash forward to this year and the same sign-up sheet went up in the Bombers locker-room at the start of the season. The entire page was filled in a single day.

Then, when a Bombers staffer took the sheet down because it was full, he was scolded -- by some players who never got a chance to sign up and wanted to be involved.

You know how you've been hearing for months about how the new Bombers regime wanted to change the culture in the locker-room this season? Well, that's what a changed culture looks like.

It's about self-sacrifice and doing the right thing the right way for the right reasons -- even when no one is looking. Especially when no one is looking.

It's the Mike O'Shea way, Bombers defensive lineman Greg Peach says of his head coach.

"Right from the first day coach O'Shea met with us, he came in and told us, 'I want guys who do not need rules.' And that's basically what he's done. He's not enforcing anything -- he's expecting us to do the right things all by ourselves.

"He doesn't yell, he's not pushing us. He just expects us to expect that of ourselves. He's put it on us -- and we've responded."

Great line. That's what it's all about. Something to always try to aspire to do knowing no one is perfect.

Was going to comment .. find it funny how people are already speculating where O'Shea will end up after his time in Winnipeg .. we're two games into his tenure as a head coach .. little premature for that kind of talk ..

Not only is it premature, but nonsensical as well.

Was going to comment .. find it funny how people are already speculating where O'Shea will end up after his time in Winnipeg .. we're two games into his tenure as a head coach .. little premature for that kind of talk ..

The Argo Fan started it!!

You gotta be specific...they have 4 you know.

It was Bluto.

MOS will leave Winnipeg the day he gets fired. When was the last time a CFL head coach resigned from one team to  take the same position with another? The last head coach to do that was Wally Buono when he left Calgary to go to BC but there was all kinds of backroom politics & backstabbing going on when Michael Feterik owned the team back in 2002. Wally had his GM powers usurped by Fred Fateri & was being told by Feterik that he had to play his son Kevin so Wally bailed to the Lions. However, that is very uncommon & like I said, due to unusual circumstances. Assistants move all the time but head coaches don't. MOS will leave for a better position with another team like GM, for example. But yes, 2 games into his new contract & people are either worried he'll resign or we should lock him up to a long term multi year agreement is premature.  We may go 2-16 for all we know... Or 16-2. It's way too early  yet.

MOS will leave Winnipeg the day he gets fired. When was the last time a CFL head coach resigned from one team to  take the same position with another? 

Well I know it was different because he went down to the states but Kent Austin resigned to go to a situation he liked better. 

MOS will leave Winnipeg the day he gets fired. When was the last time a CFL head coach resigned from one team to  take the same position with another? 

Well I know it was different because he went down to the states but Kent Austin resigned to go to a situation he liked better. 

Talking lateral move in the CFL here, 17. It is rare for that to happen in the CFL. I'd say that a HC leaving a CFL team for the NCAA is a move up. Usually more $$ & better benefits as well as it being viewed as a move up career wise. Especially if it is a big D1 program.