Grigsby

Floyd

Not sure the hate on for Grigsby and his all around play. He has missed the odd block, but not like many have made it seem, and some of the ones he has "missed" have been instances where he has to decide where his protection should go from a couple options.

It more a result of blitz packages and schemes as it is missed assignments. Also he is learning the CFL style of game and getting used to where things come from, angles, "the edge" and this is also translating to his running as he learns the Canadian field and it's nuances, and within probably the 4-5 game range he will be reacting and instinctively doing things as opposed to having to think right now.

Factor in rust and not playing for a couple years and it's pretty impressive what he has done to date, especially coming from his first TC and not getting all the significant reps.

It seems the only detractors are the forum fans, but writers, coaches, analysts and former/current players sing a different tune.

Willy took a real beating on the field though, and for a while it looked like his hand injury might derail the whole thing, can you blame fans for wanting to see the qb that is finally putting an offense worth watching on the field be protected better?

I tend to look at it as "If Grigsby's seeing this much production because of MB's offense, then what would Cotton be doing??" ...because Cotton's just a far superior back, in all facets. Looking forward to both Ford and Cotton getting healthy so we can have legit choices at RB, and not just "Only Guy Who's Healthy"...

Not sure the hate on for Grigsby and his all around play. He has missed the odd block, but not like many have made it seem, and some of the ones he has "missed" have been instances where he has to decide where his protection should go from a couple options.

It more a result of blitz packages and schemes as it is missed assignments. Also he is learning the CFL style of game and getting used to where things come from, angles, "the edge" and this is also translating to his running as he learns the Canadian field and it's nuances, and within probably the 4-5 game range he will be reacting and instinctively doing things as opposed to having to think right now.

Factor in rust and not playing for a couple years and it's pretty impressive what he has done to date, especially coming from his first TC and not getting all the significant reps.

It seems the only detractors are the forum fans, but writers, coaches, analysts and former/current players sing a different tune.

Willy took a real beating on the field though, and for a while it looked like his hand injury might derail the whole thing, can you blame fans for wanting to see the qb that is finally putting an offense worth watching on the field be protected better?

I agree that protecting Willy should be the highest priority and I think it might be worth sacrificing a receiver position for a permanent TE or extra blocking RB to do so, Volny, Fitzgerald, etc..  At least i would like to see it tried for a game or two to gauge the results.  So far Willy has proven that he is very effective when he is given enough time to operate and I don't think that reducing his receiver count by one will have a drastic effect. I think this goes beyond fixing or improving the O-Line as the solutions to that problem are too limited. The danger to his health stems from blitz packages. Plus having a second back only strengthens the running game which is always my preference when the games are tight and they need to gut it out. 

This whole season is riding on Willy's shoulders and to allow him to be ravaged like he was last night seems stupidly risky., just imagine what Sask.or Calgary will be able do to him.  At least they have some time to prepare for those two teams.  If he continues to be pounded eventually he will be injured and than this little party we have going on will be over.  No way Brohm or Marve are going to step in and continue the victory parade. 

Cory Boyd led the league in rushing when he was cut because he couldn't protect Ray. You can't let his stats justify getting your QB killed. He either needs to learn how to block and quick, or next man up.

made this same point in the chat last night. agree with 17 that Grigsby may continue to eat up yardage, but he's going to get your pivot killed. you finally have one worth building around, don't let a few rushing yards (which Bellefeuille turned away from in the 3rd quarter for some reason and Ottawa's D tee'd off on Willy) make you lose sight of protecting your #1.

(great chat btw everyone!... except idiotic non sequiturs from road griller... Mike how come blocking him doesn't work in chat? several of us had the same isue)

blocking a concern? lol come on guys. His blocking was fantastic last night. Even Suitor was mentioning how well of a blocker he was. He took of 2 blocks in a row to keep the drive going. 

watch it again. especially the 3rd quarter. he was the main reason that Willy was getting drilled.

Osh was there when Milanovich cut Boyd. i'm certainn that the lesson wasn't lost on him.

My beef with Grigsby is that his lack of blocking hurt other guys' production - Kohlert ran a nice route, was open and Willy had to rush his throw because Grigsby slid off his block looking for the shovel pass.  

Surprised Osh didn't tear a strip off of him for standing there and watching the ball after Willy's fumble.

Grigsby is really good but seems a bit selfish or maybe the game is a bit fast for him right now...

Like I said, Blink 2.0

To me it looked like Grigsby knew where to go to pick up the blocks, he just didn't commit to it. Getting in the way isn't good enough at this level, gotta actually get a good piece of the guy and even if you get beaten at least give the qb that extra second. That's something Charlie Roberts could do. If he decided to block someone he'd throw his body at him and at least slow him down a bit. 

Surprised Osh didn't tear a strip off of him for standing there and watching the ball after Willy's fumble.

Yeah what the hell was that? He just stood there and let the Ottawa guy jump on the ball.

I agree, that was completely bizarre. I have no clue what was going through his mind. And then after watching the Ottawa guy jump on it he tries to signal that's it our ball. 

Yeah what the hell was that? He just stood there and let the Ottawa guy jump on the ball.

I agree, that was completely bizarre. I have no clue what was going through his mind. And then after watching the Ottawa guy jump on it he tries to signal that's it our ball. 

He was trying to sell it as an incomplete pass - that Willy was trying to shovel pass the ball to him like he had earlier in the game.  That might even be the case, but it was still a fumble.

He was trying to sell it as an incomplete pass - that Willy was trying to shovel pass the ball to him like he had earlier in the game.  That might even be the case, but it was still a fumble.

Jump on the ball, then try and sell it as an incomplete pass. Instead of trying to be a ref he should have been a football player in that situation.

well if he is a good back he will learn from it...and continue to get better

I agree, I think he thought it was an attempted shovel...but still no excuse to not try and jump on it until whistle blows...you play through to the whistle.

Learning curve and sure it won't happen again...well better not

To me it looked like Grigsby knew where to go to pick up the blocks, he just didn't commit to it. Getting in the way isn't good enough at this level, gotta actually get a good piece of the guy and even if you get beaten at least give the qb that extra second. That's something Charlie Roberts could do. If he decided to block someone he'd throw his body at him and at least slow him down a bit. 

Totally agree... but the key word in there was 'if he decided to block someone'...

well if he is a good back he will learn from it...and continue to get better

I agree, I think he thought it was an attempted shovel...but still no excuse to not try and jump on it until whistle blows...you play through to the whistle.

Learning curve and sure it won't happen again...well better not

From his reaction, he clearly thought it was a pass attempt ie dead ball... O'shea and marcel need to instill in him that if the balls on the turf, you close by you better be at the bottom of that dog pile!

You just don't become a great blocking  back in a week. It's a total committment to  unselfishness & hard work. It takes courage to step into a charging linebacker or D End to protect the qb. Grigsby has to work on his blocking skills everyday in practice in order to become the blocker he needs to be. It should be something Grigsby should take pride in.