Dear Etch

I keep reading about the adjustments that Etch made, but no one is talking about which adjustments he made.  Honest question here... what adjustments did you see?

In the first Q, we had crazy DL rush/blitz schemes and left the flats open for Walker to exploit or if we didn't stop him in the backfield, run for 10-15 yards...  classic Etch.

After that didn't work, he retreated to a more CFL zone D.  We sent four DL almost all game with the occasional safety or LB blitz.  Seemed like Wild (for the most part) took a lot more of a 'contain' role than 'all or nothing' pressure.

I think he gambled hard on getting to Burris in the 1st Q, it didn't work and, thankfully, he recognized that.  Later in the game, he started getting a bit Etch again but by that time, the D was rolling and Walker was off his game.

Just my opinion of course...  haven't rewatched the game... not that I can thanks to TSN...

I keep reading about the adjustments that Etch made, but no one is talking about which adjustments he made.  Honest question here... what adjustments did you see?

In the first Q, we had crazy DL rush/blitz schemes and left the flats open for Walker to exploit or if we didn't stop him in the backfield, run for 10-15 yards...  classic Etch.

After that didn't work, he retreated to a more CFL zone D.  We sent four DL almost all game with the occasional safety or LB blitz.  Seemed like Wild (for the most part) took a lot more of a 'contain' role than 'all or nothing' pressure.

I think he gambled hard on getting to Burris in the 1st Q, it didn't work and, thankfully, he recognized that.  Later in the game, he started getting a bit Etch again but by that time, the D was rolling and Walker was off his game.

Just my opinion of course...  haven't rewatched the game... not that I can thanks to TSN...

Yeah from what I could see on TV the first quarter they were going all or nothing and when they got burned they seemed to tone it down a lot and make sure there were guys in position to cover the plays to the outsides. It really is classic Etch. Went all in leaving lots of room underneath and with Walker being a speedy guy you give him room he can run. They changed things up so he didn't have as much room and predictably he started getting stopped a lot more. 

It isn't a horrible game plan if they could have actually got to Burris.  Hitting him early would get him frazzled for the rest of the game.   Just glad they switched away from it when it wasn't working.

To me, the deep ball worked for us because the redblacks have the worst starting safety in the CFL. I said he was a liability on the long ball as Eric Fraser can't cover the ground to help out & he didn't disappoint me. He gets sucked in a lot. 

To me, the deep ball worked for us because the redblacks have the worst starting safety in the CFL. I said he was a liability on the long ball as Eric Fraser can't cover the ground to help out & he didn't disappoint me. He gets sucked in a lot. 

Near the end of the game, that's one of the worst safety blitzes I've seen for a while which Willy took full advantage.

If it was Milt receiving, he would have broken route, cut to the middle, put his hand up and bon voyage. 

Near the end of the game, that's one of the worst safety blitzes I've seen for a while which Willy took full advantage.

If it was Milt receiving, he would have broken route, cut to the middle, put his hand up and bon voyage. 

Oh that was just the Bomber coaches out coaching the Ottawa coaches. Ottawa clearly expected something short playing for the first down and the idea of defending deep never entered their heads, Bombers did the unexpected and went over the top. 

Floyd nailed most of it.  Thought we started showing blitz and dropping back more... better deception.  Saw lots of zone dogs used too, because Hank handled the overload blitzes we threw at him early very well.

Honestly, the thing that stood out most to me is that it looked like he stopped allowing them to isolate Bucknor in man coverage situations and he stopped sending Wild after Burris all the time. You nailed it with your assessment, imo. I don't think I saw Leggett lining up in the box as much either, because by the time he was backpedaling into position early in the game, Burris already had the ball out of his hands and Leggett wasn't there in the secondary.

Honestly, the thing that stood out most to me is that it looked like he stopped allowing them to isolate Bucknor in man coverage situations and he stopped sending Wild after Burris all the time. You nailed it with your assessment, imo. I don't think I saw Leggett lining up in the box as much either, because by the time he was backpedaling into position early in the game, Burris already had the ball out of his hands and Leggett wasn't there in the secondary.

Definitely looked like Bucknor had a part in allowing a bunch of the yards on the first 3 td's

HOWEVER - it seems like when they switched their scheme to keep him from being isolated he played very well (his positioning with support over the top was very good)