Beyond the Box Score

Mike

Just in case anyone is interested in some of the statistics that don't show up in the regular box score.

Teague Sherman was the only Bomber to register a tackle for a loss, with a 16 yarder.

The Bombers had 5 pass knockdowns - Leggett with two, while Washington, Sears and Randle each had one.

The turnover plus/minus will officially go down as +1 as we technically gave up the ball to end the game (chalk this one up to poor clock management)

I'll try and update things like this each week.

Just in case anyone is interested in some of the statistics that don't show up in the regular box score.

Teague Sherman was the only Bomber to register a tackle for a loss, with a 16 yarder.

The Bombers had 5 pass knockdowns - Leggett with two, while Washington, Sears and Randle each had one.

The turnover plus/minus will officially go down as +1 as we technically gave up the ball to end the game (chalk this one up to poor clock management MOS doesn't GAF)

I'll try and update things like this each week.

Also, great thread. Please keep it up every week, despite my smart-assery.

It is quite possible that with Ottawa up next, we could be 2-0 and the fans would be quite giddy, but it sure is going to suck when reality arrives. Burris & Co. may put up more of a fight than we expect.

The key will be to get to Hank early, and then once Hank becomes "Frank" the O for Ottawa will be neutralized. I have no idea what the Ottawa defence is going to be like. The one advantage they have over us is that they have the Toronto game film, while our guys have nothing really on Ottawa, save for what they showed in the pre-season. One thing I expect is that Ottawa isn't going to give us a bunch of points due to bad penalties like Toronto did. Re-watching the Toronto game, there were a lot of drives that ended up in points for us that were extended by dumb Toronto penalties. Both Burke and White Zombie need to work on some discipline as their penalties they accumulated on ST and D on a consistent basis were just plain killers for them.

Wild had a pass knockdown too...first play of the second half.

I thought I remembered that too, but it wasn't marked down officially. Don't know why the statisticians would've missed that.

They might have given it to Washington, Wild tipped it, Washington almost picked it off.

You are right.

This is how they scored it:

R. RAY Incomplete Pass intended for C. OWENS , D. WASHINGTON Pass Knocked Down

More interesting numbers ...

Nic Grigsby leads the CFL in carries over 20 yards with 2. The rest of the CFL is tied with 0.

Julian Feoli-Gudino and Cory Watson are both tied for the Bomber lead in YAC with 22.

Interesting statistic on Drew Willy - he earned more of his passing yards than any QB in the league. What I mean by that is that the majority of his passing yardage was obtained while the ball was in the air. Out of 308 passing yards, only 70 yards were obtained after the catch. As a comparison, Bo Levi Mitchell threw for 313 passing yards and 166 of them were obtained after the catch.

Aaron Kelly leads the CFL in catches on 2nd down resulting in a 1st down with 3. Several others (including Cory Watson) tied for second with 2.

Winnipeg's offense was 64% run on first down, most in the league.

Bombers had 5 two and outs, doesn't look like any of them were consecutive.

Fun fact - not a single winning team last week had less two and outs than their opponent.

Winnipeg (5) beat Toronto (4)

Edmonton (8) beat BC (8)

Saskatchewan (8) beat Hamilton (7)

Calgary (4) beat Montreal (3)

Fun fact - not a single winning team last week had less two and outs than their opponent.

Edmonton (8) beat BC (8)

I would suspect that the TOP stats are the reason for that. Have the ball more you have more chances to go 2 and out.

Working on the two and outs for you.

One more interesting fact - Bombers were the only team not to take a special teams penalty last week.

We had a too many men penalty on a punt.

Technically considering an offensive penalty. But yes, you're right.

More interesting numbers ...

Nic Grigsby leads the CFL in carries over 20 yards with 2. The rest of the CFL is tied with 0.

Julian Feoli-Gudino and Cory Watson are both tied for the Bomber lead in YAC with 22.

Interesting statistic on Drew Willy - he earned more of his passing yards than any QB in the league. What I mean by that is that the majority of his passing yardage was obtained while the ball was in the air. Out of 308 passing yards, only 70 yards were obtained after the catch. As a comparison, Bo Levi Mitchell threw for 313 passing yards and 166 of them were obtained after the catch.

Aaron Kelly leads the CFL in catches on 2nd down resulting in a 1st down with 3. Several others (including Cory Watson) tied for second with 2.

Winnipeg's offense was 64% run on first down, most in the league.

I'm starting to think I'm a humor nerd because that line is gold.

Edmonton (8) beat BC (8)

I would suspect that the TOP stats are the reason for that. Have the ball more you have more chances to go 2 and out.

TOP isn't the number of possessions though.  Generally there isn't a difference in the number of possessions teams have unless there are onside kicks or turnovers on special teams.

Everyone has the same number of chances to go 2 and out in most games.

Edmonton (8) beat BC (8)

TOP isn't the number of possessions though.  Generally there isn't a difference in the number of possessions teams have unless there are onside kicks or turnovers on special teams.

Everyone has the same number of chances to go 2 and out in most games.

Teams do not necessarily have the same number of possessions without turnover. The difference will not be higher than two however.

Alright, week 2 here we go.

Bombers are moving the chains a lot more than their opposition thus far. Through two games, Winnipeg has gained 51 first downs and opponents have only gained 36. Winnipeg has also done an awesome job of preventing their own lack of discipline from continuing drives. After two games, they've only handed out 2 first downs as a result of penalties.

To get a sense of how much teams are avoiding Chris Randle - he has 1 tackle so far this year through two games. Teams are not interested in throwing against him and are feeling much safer throwing to the other corner - Matt Bucknor has 13 tackles.

Chris Randle and Johnny Sears added a pass knockdown each last game - Randle now has more knockdowns (2) than tackles (1)

Demond Washington joins Teague Sherman as the only Bombers with tackles for a loss.

Net offense through 2 games - 794 yards.

I'll have more later.