The TV Thread

12 hours ago, iHeart said:

god what a piece of work this news story is they are purging stuff from their own service

https://tvline.com/2022/08/17/hbo-max-removed-tv-shows-generation-close-enough-elmo-full-list/

"Purging" 🙄

They're removing some stuff so they don't pay royalties. Every platform does the same. This is just clickbait. 

I feel like it's all going to eventually end up back where we started, with all things available in one place, for one fee. It's become too congested, with too many subscriptions. I love having access to anything/everything via the desktop of my TV, but it's just too much stuff. Charge me whatever, but have it all in once place. I can't help but think we're heading that way eventually.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I feel like it's all going to eventually end up back where we started, with all things available in one place, for one fee. It's become too congested, with too many subscriptions. I love having access to anything/everything via the desktop of my TV, but it's just too much stuff. Charge me whatever, but have it all in once place. I can't help but think we're heading that way eventually.

All of these streaming services won't survive and there will likely be some amalgamation at that point.  People will pick and choose or may even alternate throughout a year to watch different shows.  

Netflix will be experimenting with a lower price point if you are willing to watch commercials.   If that sees high adoption, look to other streaming services to follow suit.  Then we'll basically be back to where we started.  Paying an internet bill, paying a high cable bill (in terms of subscription services), and having to suffer through commercials.  

The losers in that scenario (besides the consumer) will be the cable providers like Shaw and Rogers.  So also look for you internet costs to go up to make up for the revenue they lose on providing cable tv.  :( 

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Because monopolies have always been good for the consumer?

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Because monopolies have always been good for the consumer?

More like a "middleman". A company or two or three, that would bundle everything together and charge us one price. Perhaps they could also provide us phone, internet and cell service. ;) 

Of course, they'll take their cut for the service. 

5 hours ago, Rich said:

All of these streaming services won't survive and there will likely be some amalgamation at that point.  People will pick and choose or may even alternate throughout a year to watch different shows.  

Netflix will be experimenting with a lower price point if you are willing to watch commercials.   If that sees high adoption, look to other streaming services to follow suit.  Then we'll basically be back to where we started.  Paying an internet bill, paying a high cable bill (in terms of subscription services), and having to suffer through commercials.  

The losers in that scenario (besides the consumer) will be the cable providers like Shaw and Rogers.  So also look for you internet costs to go up to make up for the revenue they lose on providing cable tv.  :( 

Pluto tv actually does that (something to keep in mind once it launches in Canada) and you don't have to sign up for the service you can actually watch stuff for free

Edited by iHeart

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

I think Sesame Workshop should pull out all the stops to regain full control of Sesame Street, I say they should put those 200 classic episodes onto the internet archive 

https://tvline.com/2022/08/19/sesame-street-episodes-removed-hbo-max-purge/

Just matter of time before Disney buys all things Sesame.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

14 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

well they actually did try to back when the original negotiations were going on (yeah they tried to get Sesame Street too) but Jim insisted that Sesame Street was off limits (besides he didn't create Sesame Street he created the Muppets for Sesame Street)

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I don't think they can. I'm pretty sure that when Jim transferred responsibility for the characters to Sesame Workshop (then Children's Television Workshop), he prevented the not-for-profit from doing so. They can license stuff, like Tickle Me Elmo, but they share revenue with Henson's estate. 

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't think they can. I'm pretty sure that when Jim transferred responsibility for the characters to Sesame Workshop (then Children's Television Workshop), he prevented the not-for-profit from doing so. They can license stuff, like Tickle Me Elmo, but they share revenue with Henson's estate. 

Money makes things happen especially if a billion dollars is waived at you. We did it for the children they'll say :D

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Money makes things happen especially if a billion dollars is waived at you. We did it for the children they'll say :D

Especially once the creator dies and the family takes over the business end, that's when a great product of passion becomes diluted from over-exposure.  

well originally this was Jim Henson's idea because he was dealing with some frustrating failures (Labyrinth, the Jim Henson Hour) and he was starting to feel some aches from the profession. He WANTED the Muppets to keep going even after he retired or suddenly dropped dead (yeah I feel that even if he did go to the Hospital sooner he probably would have retired at this point)

Edited by iHeart