The TV Thread

16 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

"We Own This City", Baltimore, David Simon, corrupt police and politicians, drugs, money and guns, a few familiar faces from the Wire, well done and well worth watching.

I've got a buddy that's really into this show....says Berenthal is outstanding. It's on my list that I've gotta get to. 

49 minutes ago, JCon said:

As someone who has watched The Wire four times through, I can't wait to watch We Own This City. I was waiting until all the episodes were out. 

This series isn't as broad as the Wire, it seems to be focussed mostly on the Police perspective, the criminal element are bit players and carry no weight.  I can't see it running for more than a season or two as it's telling a very specific story.  In some ways I think it's a reaction to the BLM movement, they have the Office of Civil Rights represented in the storyline for show, but in Baltimore, there are no solutions and nobody ever wins, they just keep shuffling the deck.

9 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

This series isn't as broad as the Wire, it seems to be focussed mostly on the Police perspective, the criminal element are bit players and carry no weight.  I can't see it running for more than a season or two as it's telling a very specific story.  In some ways I think it's a reaction to the BLM movement, they have the Office of Civil Rights represented in the storyline for show, but in Baltimore, there are no solutions and nobody ever wins, they just keep shuffling the deck.

It's based on a book, so yeah I don't think it's intended as a long running series.  I'm interested in checking out the book now though as it's a non-fiction best seller by a Baltimore reporter.  I want to see how close the show is to the true story.

5 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I thought that Blue Bloods had that market covered.

Caught the last Norm MacDonald special called "Nothing Special" on Netflix, filmed the day before he died in surgery, it's fascinating and haunting to watch considering the circumstances, and it's apparent he was very vital and would still be with us had the surgery gone well.  Norm did not fade away.  Followed up with a panel discussion with Dave Chappelle, David Letterman, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Conan O'Brien, and Molly Shannon, well worth the watch and countless re-watching.

Here is the trailer.

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81128851

well this is fantastic news, I actually spent quite a bit of time on the site last summer watching the Surreal Life (I had to use a VPN though) wish it had all the episodes though they didn't have the Dirty Laundry episode of season 4

Edited by iHeart

On 2022-06-06 at 11:52 AM, Fatty Liver said:

Caught the last Norm MacDonald special called "Nothing Special" on Netflix, filmed the day before he died in surgery, it's fascinating and haunting to watch considering the circumstances, and it's apparent he was very vital and would still be with us had the surgery gone well.  Norm did not fade away.  Followed up with a panel discussion with Dave Chappelle, David Letterman, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Conan O'Brien, and Molly Shannon, well worth the watch and countless re-watching.

Here is the trailer.

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81128851

The special was filmed at the end of June 2020.  While he do go in for surgery the next day he didn't die until Sept 2021.