Washington Redskins Urged to Change Team Name

The devil and Halloween I **** you not was not an exaggeration I find it hilarious but it is true crazy catholics think Halloween and the glorification of evil and goblins and witches is god awful.

They (being mostly old people) become whiny babies about it just like unknown and his complaints.

Not any Catholic who knows a thing about their religion. Or are you confusing Catholics with Christians? Here's the thing, the church absorbed all the pagan holidays because it was easier to convert the heathens if they could say "hey look! all our holidays are the same as yours!" Halloween is All Hallows eve, ie. the night before all saints day. No one with a brain has a problem with the dressing up aspect because it's a harmless throw back to the pagan origins of the holiday.

The devil and Halloween I **** you not was not an exaggeration I find it hilarious but it is true crazy catholics think Halloween and the glorification of evil and goblins and witches is god awful.

They (being mostly old people) become whiny babies about it just like unknown and his complaints.

Not any Catholic who knows a thing about their religion. Or are you confusing Catholics with Christians? Here's the thing, the church absorbed all the pagan holidays because it was easier to convert the heathens if they could say "hey look! all our holidays are the same as yours!" Halloween is All Hallows eve, ie. the night before all saints day. No one with a brain has a problem with the dressing up aspect because it's a harmless throw back to the pagan origins of the holiday.

Christmas is on Dec. 25 because it was put there to counter a pagan holiday. Historical records indicate that Christ was probably born in summer. So much for all the carols about a cold stable.

That's a bit insulting to say one has no brain because they don't share the same belief as you do.        No need to be narrow minded!  

I can also say that the extreme religious folks also hate on the commercialization of Christmas with Santa  (Santa isn't suppose to be wearing red and white!) and Easter should not be about Bunnies lol! 

That's a bit insulting to say one has no brain because they don't share the same belief as you do.        No need to be narrow minded!  

I can also say that the extreme religious folks also hate on the commercialization of Christmas with Santa  (Santa isn't suppose to be wearing red and white!) and Easter should not be about Bunnies lol! 

My favourite is people who have a problem with XMAS.  The X actually represents the Greek symbol for Christ.

So should the Edmonton Eskimos change their name as well?

Is the word Eskimo offensive?  Have people complained?  Im being serious.

My understanding is "Eskimo" is actually derived from a word used by the Inuit people themselves.  It's fallen out of use in favour of "Inuit" but I dont believe the word to be offensive on it's face.  But sure, if it is, change it.  I mean, we could have a reasonable discussion of Canadian history and if someone refers to "the Eskimo people" I doubt anyone bats an eye.  Refer to Aboriginals as "those redskins" and its just completely different.

But that in lies the problem.  The people that say "well what...."  Thats the lamest argument of all.  "Redskins" is offensive.  Period.  Everyone knows it is.  Virtually everyone who has given it reasonable thought agrees.  Just change the friggen name.

I read a tweet yesterday from a woman that said "I guarantee that more women find Hooters offensive than Natives find Redskins offensive."  Thats the idiocy you have to deal with when it comes to "the general public". 

On one hand, I'd love for the Aboriginal groups involved to mass produce their own "Redskins" merchandise just to antagonize the NFL but that would sort of make their point moot.  But it would be funny.

The craziest part is, Dan Snyder and the NFL are missing a glorious PR opportunity through ignorance.

Yes I'm just asking what people think, I do not care either way.  This topic was bound to come up once the Redskins talk really heated up.  CBC has an article up about the Eskimos name and people are talking about it on Twitter.  Canadians don't tend to get as militant as Americans over these kinds of issues so I doubt there will be much pressure on Edmonton to change the name.  But you never know.  As you say, Eskimo doesn't seem to be as offensive as Redskin.  But I am no Inuit and I don't know any, so maybe it is offensive... I wouldn't know.

I think the difference is that Eskimo actually came from an Inuit word.  it was used by the Inuit people with no negativity attached.

Im generally in the boat of people that find the Aboriginal names were chosen because of the positive aspects that people associate with Aboriginals - pride, strength, warrior spirit.  In that way, I dont immediately have an issue with "Eskimo" or "Braves" or even "Indians" (the word *Indian* has a more negative association in Canada where Aboriginal groups now reject it but its mainly due to politics than an actual sense of offense, whereas in the US, it's used more commonly to describe Native Americans without a lot of negativity attached).  But Im open to any argument against these names.  Personally if I was these teams that were generating some controversy, I'd hook up with some local Aboriginal groups to make it all work.  The Redskins in particular, if they want to cling to the idea that the name was meant in a positive way initially, change it to something that still invokes the positive image of Aboriginals and hook up with the Native American groups to do so.

The positive PR would be immense.  The free PR would be immense.  And a good strong name with a cool logo would generate more merch money than "Redskins" anyway.

The Algonkian word askamiciw means "he eats it raw" and some believe thats where Eskimo came from.  However,  most consider it came from the Montagnais word meaning "snowshoe-netter"or "to net snowshoes."

It seems that originally it had no negative connotation but it one Inuit language it *might* have.  Im not sure there would be a great argument against it.  Any such argument would have to be led by the local Inuit I'd suspect and I dont recall any opposition thus far.  So we're not really talking the same circumstances.

The Algonkian word askamiciw means "he eats it raw" and some believe thats where Eskimo came from.  However,  most consider it came from the Montagnais word meaning "snowshoe-netter"or "to net snowshoes."

Scholars of the social sciences have long debated why Upper and Lower Canada were labelled as they were when lower was actually upper and upper was actually lower.  Scholars of the physical sciences have since determined that simply no one knew where the hell they were.

Umm...excuse me.  I am and was brought up Catholic.  Your remarks about Catholics think halloween is awful is completely wrong.  I've gone to quite a few churches in my time and all the priests always handed out halloween candy right around halloween.  I've never heard anyone in any of our congregations, old or young, ever say anything negative about halloween, so I don't know where you get your information from.

There are certain Christian sects out there that do snub there noses at it, but I can't say for sure which ones.  But I know one of the ladies at my work doesn't let her kids go out on halloween and she is some kind of evangelical Christian.  But that's not to say all Christians are against it.

Christmas is on Dec. 25 because it was put there to counter a pagan holiday. Historical records indicate that Christ was probably born in summer. So much for all the carols about a cold stable.

You do know, even in the desert, it can get very cold at night right?  Even during the summer time.

You do know, even in the desert, it can get very cold at night right?  Even during the summer time

Yeah, deserts get bloody cold at night.

https://giltravel.com/israel-travel-resources/israel-temperatures-weather.html

• 2 weeks later...

There are waaaaaay more important things our society should be addressing other than the name Redskins.

We should be focusing on keeping rapists and pedophiles in prison. (or killing them)   And cleaning up the glorified garbage that T.V. has become.  (thanks a lot HBO)

Scholars of the social sciences have long debated why Upper and Lower Canada were labelled as they were when lower was actually upper and upper was actually lower.  Scholars of the physical sciences have since determined that simply no one knew where the hell they were.

Can;t tell if you're joking or not.  Does upper and lower canada not refer to upstream and downstream of the St. Lawrence?

Eskimo is a derogatory word from the language actually. I'm too lazy to find the exact story but I'm sure you can look it up if you're that interested.

Does it not mean "eaters of raw meat" ?

Haha, beat me to it. Yes, I believe it does ;).

Then it's not derogatory.  Many still eat in the same way.  Raw whale meat sitting on a cardboard box.  NOT A JOKE OR ATTEMPT AT RACISM.   (knew someone who spent a few years in the FAR north)

I think the idea was that the "eaters of raw meat" became said with derision.  For example, Red Skin and White Skin were commonly used without prejudice originally, but it since became obviously derogatory to use Redskin.

I dont think Eskimo has that same built in derogatory-ness.  To be honest, "Indian" doesn't either.  Indian is used within the government and on offficial documents, its used widely in the US without being derogatory.  It's more sensitive up here but I find its mainly the aborigional leadership that pushes the PC button a lot.  Most Aboriginal people I know use the term "Indian" all the time.  its pretty amusing really...Christopher Columbus goofed so the Aboriginals became Indians.  Oh well.

• 11 months later...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/judge-upholds-cancellation-of-redskins-trademarks-in-a-legal-and-symbolic-setback-for-team/2015/07/08/5a65424e-1e6e-11e5-aeb9-a411a84c9d55_story.html

The Washington Redskins lost their biggest legal and public relations battle yet in the war over its mascot after a federal judge in Northern Virginia on Wednesday ordered the cancellation of the NFL team’s federal trademark registrations, which have been opposed for decades by many Native Americans who feel the moniker disparages their race.

The cancellation doesn’t go into effect until the Redskins have exhausted the appeals process in the federal court system. But even if the Redskins ultimately took the case to the Supreme Court and lost, the team can still use “Redskins” and seek trademark protections under state law. The team has argued, however, that a cancellation of its trademarks could taint its brand and remove legal benefits that would protect against copycat entrepreneurs.

U.S. District Judge Gerald Bruce Lee’s decision affirmed an earlier ruling by the federal Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Last year, the appeal board declared in a 2-to-1 vote that the team’s moniker is offensive to Native Americans and therefore ineligible under the Lanham Act for status in the federal trademark registry. The appeal board had been petitioned by five Native American activists, including Amanda Blackhorse, a Navajo Nation member from Arizona who is well-known for leading massive protests against the team outside stadiums wherever it plays.

[U.S. patent office cancels Redskins trademark registrations, saying name is disparaging to Native Americans]

The Redskins tried to overturn the appeal board’s ruling in August by suing Blackhorse and the four other Native American activists in federal court in Alexandria, Va. The team argued that the Lanham Act conflicted with its First Amendment rights. It also contended that Blackhorse didn’t prove that enough Native Americans opposed the name at the time the team registered its trademarks in 1967, 1974, 1978 and 1990.

A Washington Redskins spokesperson said the team is reviewing the decision and considering its legal options.

Jesse Witten, one of the attorneys for the Native Americans, celebrated the judge’s ruling.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/judge-upholds-cancellation-of-redskins-trademarks-in-a-legal-and-symbolic-setback-for-team/2015/07/08/5a65424e-1e6e-11e5-aeb9-a411a84c9d55_story.html

The Washington Redskins lost their biggest legal and public relations battle yet in the war over its mascot after a federal judge in Northern Virginia on Wednesday ordered the cancellation of the NFL team’s federal trademark registrations, which have been opposed for decades by many Native Americans who feel the moniker disparages their race.

The cancellation doesn’t go into effect until the Redskins have exhausted the appeals process in the federal court system. But even if the Redskins ultimately took the case to the Supreme Court and lost, the team can still use “Redskins” and seek trademark protections under state law. The team has argued, however, that a cancellation of its trademarks could taint its brand and remove legal benefits that would protect against copycat entrepreneurs.

U.S. District Judge Gerald Bruce Lee’s decision affirmed an earlier ruling by the federal Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Last year, the appeal board declared in a 2-to-1 vote that the team’s moniker is offensive to Native Americans and therefore ineligible under the Lanham Act for status in the federal trademark registry. The appeal board had been petitioned by five Native American activists, including Amanda Blackhorse, a Navajo Nation member from Arizona who is well-known for leading massive protests against the team outside stadiums wherever it plays.

[U.S. patent office cancels Redskins trademark registrations, saying name is disparaging to Native Americans]

The Redskins tried to overturn the appeal board’s ruling in August by suing Blackhorse and the four other Native American activists in federal court in Alexandria, Va. The team argued that the Lanham Act conflicted with its First Amendment rights. It also contended that Blackhorse didn’t prove that enough Native Americans opposed the name at the time the team registered its trademarks in 1967, 1974, 1978 and 1990.

A Washington Redskins spokesperson said the team is reviewing the decision and considering its legal options.

Jesse Witten, one of the attorneys for the Native Americans, celebrated the judge’s ruling.

this was a tough one for me.  I've been a fan of the redskins for over 40 years and have even defended the nickname in the past (there was an article posted a 'skins fan that documented the origin of the name and how it was a show of respect for native Americans).  However, over the years enough Native groups have expressed their offence to the nickname and I have rethought my position.   If enough of these people are offended by it maybe the name needs to go.  I'm not sure the team's defence of the name and plans to appeal this decision aren't more related to jersey and other merchandise sales as opposed to defending their traditional nickname.

wpgallday1960 - I agree.  I used to take the position that this was all nonsense.  But I dont think that anymore.  "Redskins" used to be an accepted term it seems.  But it isnt anymore.  Times change.  It just seems so archaic and oblivious to want to keep the name.  To me, this is such an awesome opportunity to not only rebrand successfully but to get a ton of free PR in the process.  The media will do most of the work when it comes to the cost of alerting the public to the rebrand.

If they enlisted local tribes to take part and come up with a new name in keeping with the spirit of the original, I think the positive press would be really good.  I think this is an old fan owner who cant see past his own ego.