Washington Redskins Urged to Change Team Name

New Jersey Devils has a horrible offensive name for religious folks so should they not change the name?

Some religious types were upset at the time.  They were unaware that the New Jersey Devil is a real thing (in a manner of speaking) just like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

These people made up their minds without knowledge or context.  If you don't want to be like those people, take the time to aquire knowledge and learn the context.

Google search image Redskins and you will see a tonne of NFL logos.

And what is depicted on the logos when you image search Washington's football team?  Daffodils?  Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr an ethnic group singled out by the colour of their skin?

New Jersey Devils has a horrible offensive name for religious folks so should they not change the name?

Some religious types were upset at the time. They were unaware that the New Jersey Devil is a real thing (in a manner of speaking) just like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

These people made up their minds without knowledge or context. If you don't want to be like those people, take the time to aquire knowledge and learn the context.

And what is depicted on the logos when you image search Washington's football team? Daffodils? Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr an ethnic group singled out by the colour of their skin?

Have you not seen the Cleveland baseball team logo? That isn't racist?

If Redskins was such a problem the fans of the team would of changed the name years ago.

Some one is making something out of nothing.

People have to Much free time.

I've never heard the Redskins referred as the R word and its never bleeped out on TV.

Its not a bad word in 2014. People have to much time... Fighting Irish is way more offensive they should focus on that

I hear the n word on the radio all the time.  I guess it's not a bad word.  Maybe we should try it.  You post the following sentence: "N***** isn't a bad word" on twitter and see what happens.  I hear the word "***" on the radio and in every day conversation.  It has a "legitimate" meaning in the UK.  Guess what, name the team Washington Fags and see what happens.  (sorry in advance to mods but I hope they get my point).

Id like to know what makes you think Redskins is not a bad word in 2014 when several aboriginal groups are on board with changing the name.

"Redskin" is a racial descriptor of disputed origin for Native Americans. Although by some accounts not originally having negative intent, the term is defined in current dictionaries of American English as "usually offensive","disparaging", "insulting", "taboo" ] and is avoided in public usage with the exception of its continued use as a name for sports teams.

Some sports history here with the name "redskin"

• The University of Utah Redskins became the Utah Utes in 1972.
  • The Miami University (of Ohio) Redskins became the RedHawks in 1997.
  • The Southern Nazarene University Redskins became the Crimson Storm in 1998.

Wanna pretend it's not racist anymore? the darn dictionary basically defines it as being racist.. it basically says redskins is to native americans what the n word is to blacks. If the n word is racist, then so is redskin.

You know why you dont hear the word "redskins" any more as it relates to native americans? because it is indeed racist. Only racists use the word. It's pretty straight forward though, however a couple of fun facts.. there is a town in oklahoma, I cant remember the name, but it exits and its population is 41 percent native american, they have a theatre there called, wait for it... "the redskin theatre". In a town where 41 percent of the population is indeed native american. Makes you wonder at times actually if it is racist.... or if its just bitching for the sake of bitching.

I know its wikipedia but look up the term "redskin". Look at the definition in the dictionary, whether one or 2 people here dont want to believe its racist, society says it is.

I posted about the aborginal magazine called Redskin earlier.  I think the idea of using the term is related to the excuse many black people give for using the N-word - to "depower" it or "take it back".  It's stupid.  A derogatory racist term doesnt need to be taken back.  It should be left in the past where it belongs.

Its a deprecated term its not racist in 2014.

N bombs are bleeped on TV, Redskins is not.

Google search N***** and you will see tonnes of racist images.

Stop trying so hard. Redskins means football in 2014 its not racist at all.

Redskins is far from thee worst team name. You would have to change dozens of names before that one.

I think you just won the internet today for the absolute most moronic post.

Who is "Devils" offensive too?  I suppose VERY religous people might see it.  But let's not get silly.  Your problem is, you began by supporting the wrong side and if every single human being on earth came to you and said "Nope, Redskins is offensive", you'd still stick to your opinion.  You're very closed minded as evidenced by your laughingly shaky points.  The problem is you dont utilize common sense, which would tell you that "Devils" is not offensive (and named, not after the bibilcal devil, but the mythical monster or whatever, and yes I know they use a pitchfork in their marketing).

If Aboriginal people say Redskins is offensive, I'd tend to take their word for it.  The debate actually is not if Redskins is offensive.  It is offensive.  That is fact.  You can argue that just like one can argue that the earth is flat but facts are facts.  The debate is whether the offensiveness of the term is enough to force the team to change their name.

Have you not seen the Cleveland baseball team logo? That isn't racist?

I already said it was about 20 posts back.  What am I missing when you make this point?  That it is impossible for there to be 2 racist things in sports?  It's like Highlander - there can be only one!

If Redskins was such a problem the fans of the team would of changed the name years ago.

Using this same terrible logic I could make the following statement "If slavery was such a problem the plantation owners would have ended it years ago".

Some one is making something out of nothing.

Silly natives, having the nerve to tell us when we're dimishing them as a people.  You should write them a stern letter.

Hey, there were left wing nutcases who objected to the name Winnipeg Jets & the new fighter jet logo we have because they felt it was somehow related to  Stephen Harper's government & military action  in Afghanistan. Remember that? They were offended & wanted the name changed. Should the Jets have caved? How ridiculous would that have been? That's what I mean when I said earlier about something, no matter what, always seeming to offend someone or some group.  

Hey, there were left wing nutcases who objected to the name Winnipeg Jets & the new fighter jet logo we have because they felt it was somehow related to  Stephen Harper's government & military action  in Afghanistan. Remember that? They were offended & wanted the name changed. Should the Jets have caved? How ridiculous would that have been? That's what I mean when I said earlier about something, no matter what, always seeming to offend someone or some group.  

HUGE difference between offending crazy people and offending an entire ethnicity based on a racial slur.

There is silly offense and legitimate.  Quite frankly, I know for a fact you're way smarter than that.  People could find offense to "Flames" or "Oilers" or "Bombers" or anything really.  But the debate CAN'T be that there will always be someone taking offense to something so the MOST offensive things should remain.

Its like Brandon's argument that the Indians logo is offensive so we should keep the Redskins.  Huh?  In fact, if someone thinks the Indians' logo is offensive then they absolutely can't support keeping the Redskins name.

Bottom line, the question is about degrees of offense or if you or me personally are offended.  its the fact "Redskins" IS a recognized racial slur that is used 99% of the time as a derogatory, insulting, racist slur.  the question is not "is Redskins a slur".  It is.  Do you disagree that Redskins is a racist derogatory remark, irregardless of its use as the team name of the Washington franchise?

Such a small group of people. I bet if all those people who opposed the name Jets got together to hold a rally they would have fit into a bus shack.

Devils is offensive to religious people (catholic folks in particular) which make up a massive amount of the population.

I know cuz I married one lol, at her church they really dislike halloween or anything related to the devil.

So it is much worse then redskin.

Unknown poster likes to pick and choose based on his thoughts... I'm saying if you can one name then ALL names need to change otherwise that's unfair.

Also Redskins means a football team to 99% of the population... Only racist folks like unknown would think of that word as a racial slur.

Most of us good folk associate it with football team with an over rated qb.

Devils is offensive to religious people (catholic folks in particular) which make up a massive amount of the population.

I know cuz I married one lol, at her church they really dislike halloween or anything related to the devil.

Unknown poster likes to pick and choose based on his thoughts... I'm saying if you can one name then ALL names need to change otherwise that's unfair.

Also Redskins means a football team to 99% of the population... Only racist folks like unknown would think of that word as a racial slur.

Your statement is factually incorrect and astoundingly ignorant.  I guess its a fine line between being a homophobe and being a racist.  But now that you've revealed more about your personal life, I cant say I'm surprised.  Just disappointed.

If you dont know the difference between some religous folks disliking Halloween (lol) and an accepted slur that attacks an entire enthicity based on the colour of their skin then you are either playing games or profoundly stupid.

You want the Indians to change their name and logo but not the Redskins?  Is there a face palm emoticon here? 

Your statement is factually incorrect and astoundingly ignorant. I guess its a fine line between being a homophobe and being a racist. But now that you've revealed more about your personal life, I cant say I'm surprised. Just disappointed.

If you dont know the difference between some religous folks disliking Halloween (lol) and an accepted slur that attacks an entire enthicity based on the colour of their skin then you are either playing games or profoundly stupid.

You want the Indians to change their name and logo but not the Redskins? Is there a face palm emoticon here?

I don't want any names to change none of them are offensive and only big babies like yourself would cry about them.

I like the Indians logo and think its funny and it reminds me of Major League movies.

Redskins doesn't offend me and I'm part native. I think the brand is kind of dull and the jerseys and colors are blah so IMO they can use the brand change to get something new. They can piggy back off the hippy whiners who are crying about this and get lots of free advertising.

I just find the hippies like unknown are hypocritical and like to plays devils advocate.

Whoops hopefully I didn't offend any catholics with that comment.

The devil and Halloween I **** you not was not an exaggeration I find it hilarious but it is true crazy catholics think Halloween and the glorification of evil and goblins and witches is god awful.

They (being mostly old people) become whiny babies about it just like unknown and his complaints.

I love that Brandon spends most of his time insulting me.  It means I won the argument.

The "Im part native and I dont find it offensive so it must not be offensive" line is my favourite so far. 

Once again, im summation:

"Redskins" *is* offensive.  No debate there.  You may not personally find it offensive just like you personally dont like gay people.  In both cases, you are on the wrong side of the issue.

The discussions centres on whether the team should change the name, not whether the name is a slur.  No intelligent person believes Redskins is acceptable in this day and age.

I suspect this thread will soon be locked due to the actions of yet another person who can't engage in discussion without resorting to petty insults.  Shame on you, Brandon.

These threads shouldn't even exist cuz nobody is gonna change anybodies mind about anything on a message board.

The fact that this has 4 pages now is amazing when basically its the same people repeating the same stuff over and over again.

Oh and btw, just cuz a guy doesnt like gay people, it doesn't mean he's wrong.. it just means his opinion is different. 

I'm not a fan of people who try to tell me what i think is wrong.. so i can understand where brandon is coming from a bit here.. TUP: you seem to have it in your heard that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, that is incorrect, all it means is they disagree with you and here in north america, that is allowed. we are all allowed to have different opinions on all these matters. I dont care if someone doesn't like gay people, who cares really. I dont even care if someone doesn't think redskin is a racist name even though the dictionary definition mentions that it is indeed racist, Nobody is changing anybodies opinions. Whats that saying that 17to85 uses? opinions are like assholes? You bet they are.

Well goalie i agree to an extent. What usually happens is people drop out and the thread gets to multiple pages of the same handful of people. But

You're right, minds don't change.

But there has been some very thoughtful posts here. That's what I love about forums like this, when you get the thoughtful people taking part.

HUGE difference between offending crazy people and offending an entire ethnicity based on a racial slur.

There is silly offense and legitimate.  Quite frankly, I know for a fact you're way smarter than that.  People could find offense to "Flames" or "Oilers" or "Bombers" or anything really.  But the debate CAN'T be that there will always be someone taking offense to something so the MOST offensive things should remain.

Its like Brandon's argument that the Indians logo is offensive so we should keep the Redskins.  Huh?  In fact, if someone thinks the Indians' logo is offensive then they absolutely can't support keeping the Redskins name.

Bottom line, the question is about degrees of offense or if you or me personally are offended.  its the fact "Redskins" IS a recognized racial slur that is used 99% of the time as a derogatory, insulting, racist slur.  the question is not "is Redskins a slur".  It is.  Do you disagree that Redskins is a racist derogatory remark, irregardless of its use as the team name of the Washington franchise?

I think it is DEFINETLY derogatory. I don't know if it is racist, though. I think that depends on how  it is being used.

I think it's hilarious that Unknown gets worked up over me poking fun and stirring the pot,    if the name is such a bad thing it will get changed.   What more can be said?  

I mostly single you out as my past experiences with some local wrestlers is that many of them are massively insecure and overly drama queens.  It's all in good fun man! I had a lotta fun at some old Ringmasters shows, not sure if you were a part of them but I thoroughly enjoyed watching some of the wrestlers get upset because the ladies in the crowd made fun of them.  

I think it's hilarious that Unknown gets worked up over me poking fun and stirring the pot,    if the name is such a bad thing it will get changed.   What more can be said?  

I mostly single you out as my past experiences with some local wrestlers is that many of them are massively insecure and overly drama queens.  It's all in good fun man! I had a lotta fun at some old Ringmasters shows, not sure if you were a part of them but I thoroughly enjoyed watching some of the wrestlers get upset because the ladies in the crowd made fun of them.  

hmm, just a question here about the wrestling stuff, were the wrestlers in character at the time? cuz, if they were.. then them getting upset is actually just part of the act. Especially if they were portraying heels.

hmm, just a question here about the wrestling stuff, were the wrestlers in character at the time? cuz, if they were.. then them getting upset is actually just part of the act. Especially if they were portraying heels.

Unfortunately no,  for the most part it was guys who were really skinny and unable to pull off most moves (suplexes) because they were 150 lbs and tiny.    I mentioned it before in another thread one of my favorite moments was when a drunk lady jumped in the ring and over powered the wrestler and pinned him resulting in many laughs and the promoter shaking his head in pity.  Lol.  

I had no involvement in Ringmasters but if guys in the ring got upset, are you sure they weren't working and selling as they should have been?  Also, I'm not a local wrestler.

Also, I dont get worked up at all.  Suspecting you have underlying discrimination to certain segments of the population only disappoints me, it doesnt anger me.

The devil and Halloween I **** you not was not an exaggeration I find it hilarious but it is true crazy catholics think Halloween and the glorification of evil and goblins and witches is god awful.

They (being mostly old people) become whiny babies about it just like unknown and his complaints.

lol - so incorrect and so ignorant.