Washington Redskins Urged to Change Team Name

FARGO, N.D. -- University of North Dakota backers have selected Fighting Hawks as the school's new nickname, the school announced Wednesday.

The predatory bird mascot was declared the winner after receiving 57 per cent of the vote compared to 43 per cent for Roughriders in the two-nickname runoff. The vote was open to people with UND ties, including students, staff and alums, and 27,378 votes were cast. The new nickname replaces the Fighting Sioux name that was retired by the state Board of Higher Education in 2012 because the NCAA deemed it "hostile and abusive."

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder when the Bombers will be told to change their name as the word Bomber is offensive to some? 

It insights war and the blowing up of certain things.  GAH THE HUMANITY.

BTW, I love how most of the Inuit people on that CBC Eskimo's article don't want them to change it as it's not a name of disrespect and that elder people still call themselves Eskimo's up north and down south and that most Inuit people don't even find the name offensive, because it's not.

Eskimo is used by Inuit in Alaska, they do not find it offensive but Inuit in Canada do. Kind of the same way Indigenous people in Canada don't like the term "Indian" yet those in America don't mind. I would never call myself an "Indian" since its a term based on mistaken identity.

I think if one group find Eskimo offensive I think it's worthy of asking why and listening.

Why alienate a certain section of society just because you don't agree or understand.