2014 Draft Picks

Floyd

my understanding is that he traded 2 third round picks for the 2nd (was out last night and too lazy to go back and track down the trade exactly) and if that's the case why the hell would anyone complain? If they like the player they can get with the 2nd round pick that much then good move by the GM to get it done. 

I have to say Walters reminds me of Taman... especially in this draft - 'overpaying' to get his guy Briggs, going to OL when in doubt, trading for Neufeld

I'd say this is a very decent draft with potential to be 'out of the park' if Neufeld works out at RT

Overpaying? What rounds are you talking about here. They wanted the guy and had to move up to get him. Give Walters a break!

In fairness, overpaying was in quotes ;)

If they had him higher on their charts, the actual pick # doesn't matter (ie whatever # they had Briggs at, that's kind of the pick they traded for, ya know?). 

I see that trading up for Walter's pick is being "questioned" so I have to ask…if that's the guy they wanted, isn't that worth the value of two questionable picks later on, especially in a thinner draft year?

I also wonder that the Bombers sometimes get chastised for not making any moves and then, when they do…..

'Overpaying' is just referring to how Taman's move to get  Craig Butler was portrayed...  basically, you have a chance to get your guy and ditch two picks to move up.  Briggs was one of the guys I was hoping would be around for our second pick - not a shot at Walters at all.  We finally have a GM who is acting like a CFL GM.

I'd give Walters an A grade in his first draft. There weren't many starting caliber players available but what he did get can contribute in other ways too, good job.

I think Everett could turn out to be the sleeper pick for us if he can grasp the NT position.

We finally have a GM who is acting like a CFL GM.

come on now, Mack moved up in the draft as well and he wasn't afraid to go and get the player he wanted in the draft either. I swear some of you just make **** up all the time. The difference here is that Walters is going more by the book, remains to be seen if that's the correct strategy or not. 

'Overpaying' is just referring to how Taman's move to get  Craig Butler was portrayed...  basically, you have a chance to get your guy and ditch two picks to move up.  Briggs was one of the guys I was hoping would be around for our second pick - not a shot at Walters at all.  We finally have a GM who is acting like a CFL GM.

The Butler pick was lucky more than anything, they were going to take Hugh O'Neill but Buono got him a pick earlier.

On local TSN radio today, Glen Suitor was very complimentary about both the new Bomber management structure and Walters' drafting this year. He described Goossen as a "gimme", but the other picks as very astute, especially the third pick Derek (Jones?) and the last one who was born in the mideast and has had a rough go of it for many years.

On local TSN radio today, Glen Suitor was very complimentary about both the new Bomber management structure and Walters' drafting this year. He described Goossen as a "gimme", but the other picks as very astute, especially the third pick Derek (Jones?) and the last one who was born in the mideast and has had a rough go of it for many years.

Here is a feature TSN did on Eisho during the 2011 Vanier

http://youtu.be/ii7yk8GmllA

come on now, Mack moved up in the draft as well and he wasn't afraid to go and get the player he wanted in the draft either. I swear some of you just make **** up all the time. The difference here is that Walters is going more by the book, remains to be seen if that's the correct strategy or not. 

Yeah, everything everyone is saying about Walters, we were all saying about Mack for the first couple years. But it's kind of a Winnipeg pastime to trash the previous regime mercilessly in order to build up the new one. One of these times we'll be right though - hopefully this is it.

I'm fine with many of the draft choices Mack made.  The 2008 draft gets a 100% score.  Out of the park.  The 2009 draft gets a 0% score.  Total Kelly crapfest.  Mack's stretch from 2010 thru 2013?  Lots of good, some bad, some that has yet to be categorized.  So, 55%?  Most of those picks are still on a CFL roster right now, except for the ones that are so good they're in the NFL.  Anthony Smith and a few others had shorter careers, that's true of almost every draft from every team.  I would definitely not look at the draft as Mack's biggest failing; I'm not sure it's even fair to consider it a failing at all.

All the draft hype simply requires a historical review of how many drafted players even played and how many games they played if they played? Never mind what round they were even drafted in. At best it is a low percentage and not a long and storied carrier by most.

Mike, TBieber or Rids

Are the silent round(s) still existing in the draft ? I know it's slim pickings already but I just want to know?

There's potentially a player available for the supplemental draft that I brought forward to the CFL/CFLPA and to the player and his coach but to my knowledge no application has been made. He may be content to finish his playing career with his degree in hand. 

The Butler pick was lucky more than anything, they were going to take Hugh O'Neill but Buono got him a pick earlier.

Got him mixed up with Hurl...  I think that's who Taman traded up for - anyway, Walters still reminds me of Taman.

Got him mixed up with Hurl...  I think that's who Taman traded up for - anyway, Walters still reminds me of Taman.

The only similarity between the two is that they are both GM's

Well, that was one major difference between Taman and Mack... I'll give you that.

The big difference is that if Taman would have traded a former first round pick NI REC for an import QB, everyone would have been screaming for his head.

'Overpaying' is just referring to how Taman's move to get Craig Butler was portrayed... basically, you have a chance to get your guy and ditch two picks to move up. Briggs was one of the guys I was hoping would be around for our second pick - not a shot at Walters at all. We finally have a GM who is acting like a CFL GM.

Got him mixed up with Hurl... I think that's who Taman traded up for - anyway, Walters still reminds me of Taman.

Well, that was one major difference between Taman and Mack... I'll give you that.

The big difference is that if Taman would have traded a former first round pick NI REC for an import QB, everyone would have been screaming for his head.

Can't operate in a vacuum like that.

Everyone who is irrational, perhaps.

Everyone who is irrational, perhaps.

well how many rational people do you actually think populate these boards? Even the most rational people here go crazy sometimes.