2014 Draft Picks

Floyd

For the years that I have been following some of you folks, I can't believe my first post is going to be in defense of Etienne. I think a lot of guys on here are going to be surprised this year with his level of play. With Sask's depth at Canadian receiver he may not be a starter but he will show up when they give him a chance. I don't know how many times I read how he isn't doing anything but iirc he was drafted when he was 21, not many guys are starting pro at that age. I just don't think the Bombers, let alone the fans had the patience to let this guy develop. My two cents...

On a completely different note, love what you guys are doing here with MBB, keep the great work up.

Cheers

For the years that I have been following some of you folks, I can't believe my first post is going to be in defense of Etienne. I think a lot of guys on here are going to be surprised this year with his level of play. With Sask's depth at Canadian receiver he may not be a starter but he will show up when they give him a chance. I don't know how many times I read how he isn't doing anything but iirc he was drafted when he was 21, not many guys are starting pro at that age. I just don't think the Bombers, let alone the fans had the patience to let this guy develop. My two cents...

On a completely different note, love what you guys are doing here with MBB, keep the great work up.

Cheers

The right thing for him probably would have been to at least play one more season of CIS before joining the Bombers, but that would have required sneaking him through waivers.  He hadn't played a lot of receiver, was really raw and not developed physically, he needed to play more games, not get 2nd team reps and watch from the sideline with a CFL team for basically 2 seasons.  With the new eligibility rules, Etienne wouldn't have been in the draft until 2012, and still would have had one year of CIS eligibility left.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a 45-50 catch 500 yard ish receiver for his career, disregarding his first two seasons where he didn't leave the sideline even when he was dressed.

Cheers

The right thing for him probably would have been to at least play one more season of CIS before joining the Bombers, but that would have required sneaking him through waivers.  He hadn't played a lot of receiver, was really raw and not developed physically, he needed to play more games, not get 2nd team reps and watch from the sideline with a CFL team for basically 2 seasons.  With the new eligibility rules, Etienne wouldn't have been in the draft until 2012, and still would have had one year of CIS eligibility left.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a 45-50 catch 500 yard ish receiver for his career, disregarding his first two seasons where he didn't leave the sideline even when he was dressed.

The kid needed a year or two in the minors, but the minors doesn't exist for the CFL.  With his high draft pick status and negligible contributions to special teams, irrational people resented him.  His career is really just at it's starting point right now.  No matter, we turned a NI receiver we had hopes for into a starting QB we have hopes for.  December thru June - the season of hope for Bomber fans.