Bombers sign former NFL WR Donavon Kemp

From what I could see in the highlight video, he would seem to have it all-good hands, decent size, speed to burn, not afraid of traffic and he even blocked well for other receivers. If he can keep his parts together, he ought to be worth watching in training camp.

Enough import receivers already...  find another NI or two to compete in TC

Which ones do you suggest?  Who is out there?

We have the most connected CIS guy in the league...  they can find a couple more guys.  

I mean I suggest Brett Carter and Anthony Coombs but its not up to me.  I just want more than three guys competing for two backup spots... especially when one of our starters gets injured almost every year.

Enough import receivers already... find another NI or two to compete in TC

Which ones do you suggest? Who is out there?

We have the most connected CIS guy in the league... they can find a couple more guys.

I mean I suggest Brett Carter and Anthony Coombs but its not up to me. I just want more than three guys competing for two backup spots... especially when one of our starters gets injured almost every year.

You'll rarely see teams add Canadians this close to the draft.

Enough import receivers already...  find another NI or two to compete in TC

Which ones do you suggest?  Who is out there?

We have the most connected CIS guy in the league...  they can find a couple more guys.  

I mean I suggest Brett Carter and Anthony Coombs but its not up to me.  I just want more than three guys competing for two backup spots... especially when one of our starters gets injured almost every year.

We are a little thin at NI receiver but I fully expect we will draft at least one.  Probably with one of our third rounders or our fourth rounder.  But I have no idea what that has to do with signing an import receiver.  We can do both.

I wonder if Anthony Coombs will skip the draft and sign with us...

Not an option. Once a player has played CIS, they have to go through the draft. If they are not drafted, then they can sign where they like. It is different for CJFL players who can be territorial protections.

I wonder if Anthony Coombs will skip the draft and sign with us...

Not an option. Once a player has played CIS, they have to go through the draft. If they are not drafted, then they can sign where they like. It is different for CJFL players who can be territorial protections.

He was trying to be funny.

Enough import receivers already... find another NI or two to compete in TC

Which ones do you suggest? Who is out there?

We have the most connected CIS guy in the league... they can find a couple more guys.

I mean I suggest Brett Carter and Anthony Coombs but its not up to me. I just want more than three guys competing for two backup spots... especially when one of our starters gets injured almost every year.

You'll rarely see teams add Canadians this close to the draft.

I know, I'm not saying we have to sign them today...  just saying, we have enough import REC prospects on a roster that is already packed.

Hopefully, Paliwoda, Kelly, West, etc... are cut soon - just starting to wonder what is the purpose of signing guys and cutting them a couple weeks later - when you essentially have deadweight on the roster.

Basically - we have five NI competing for two REC spots and nine imports competing for two (more like one and a half) REC spots.

Dead weight?  When did Dan West become dead weight?  We need guys like him.  Our special teams took a huge hit this off-season losing Muamba, Labbe, and James Green.  West is going to have to take on a big role on special teams this season.

Dead weight?  When did Dan West become dead weight?  We need guys like him.  Our special teams took a huge hit this off-season losing Muamba, Labbe, and James Green.  West is going to have to take on a big role on special teams this season.

Dan West played special teams... sorry I forgot to notice.

At worst, we've already upgraded with Graig Newman.

Ya good point who cares about special teams.

I

Dead weight? When did Dan West become dead weight? We need guys like him. Our special teams took a huge hit this off-season losing Muamba, Labbe, and James Green. West is going to have to take on a big role on special teams this season.

Ya good point who cares about special teams.

Lol yup.. Useless third of the game!

Teague Sherman looked good on special teams last season in his limited time playing it. I think he might be a good special teamer if he makes the team.

West can come to camp, if he is beat out by a sherman, so be it or a robertson, so be it

The more competition the better. No need to cut canadians who can play special teams and contribute in a pinch if neccesary b4 you have guys that can replace them.

Our canadian depth is a problem, i wouldn't be cutting guys like that just yet. Come to camp, may the best guys win. If its west, thats fine. If he is beat out by someone else, thats fine too. 

First, Wide Receiver Donavon Kemp from UTEP.

At 6'1" and 194 pounds, he's got the body to play inside or out for the Cowboys. When you look at his pro day numbers, though, he really looks like an outside receiver. 4.4 second 40-yard dash, 37.5" vertical, and an 11'2" broad jump. This is a truly explosive receiver with good height and great vertical. His broad jump is in the elite range.

When you watch him, you might be disappointed to see that none of his routes are all that crisp. In fact, a number of his plays were made by simply flowing to an open area and waiting for the ball (then again, if you watched Laurent Robinson for us last year, that's essentially what made him so productive for us).

Once he gets the ball, however, he has an explosive first step and eats up yardage quickly. In traffic, he sometimes gets into trouble. His measured agility is very average for an NFL receiver, but, in college, he would often use jukes to get around defenders. In the NFL, those tricks won't work. Thankfully, he has the explosiveness to compete at the highest level, and has two of the best in Miles Austin and Dez Bryant to learn from.

Another area in which Kemp stood out was special teams. In the video, you see him blocking for returns, and returning. He really stands out as a blocker. He was all too willing to put his shoulder into coverage personnel and lay them out. He almost seemed to enjoy it more than catching the ball.

All-in-all, Kemp has the measurables to become a real force on the outside for the Cowboys, even if only in spot duty. His straight-line burst is exceptional. He should be as effective as Sam Hurd was on special teams (and much faster). Look for Kemp to seriously threaten for a roster spot. He was an excellent pickup as a priority UDFA.

At 6'1" and 194 pounds, he's got the body to play inside or out for the Cowboys. When you look at his pro day numbers, though, he really looks like an outside receiver. 4.4 second 40-yard dash, 37.5" vertical, and an 11'2" broad jump. This is a truly explosive receiver with good height and great vertical. His broad jump is in the elite range.

When you watch him, you might be disappointed to see that none of his routes are all that crisp. In fact, a number of his plays were made by simply flowing to an open area and waiting for the ball (then again, if you watched Laurent Robinson for us last year, that's essentially what made him so productive for us).

Once he gets the ball, however, he has an explosive first step and eats up yardage quickly. In traffic, he sometimes gets into trouble. His measured agility is very average for an NFL receiver, but, in college, he would often use jukes to get around defenders. In the NFL, those tricks won't work. Thankfully, he has the explosiveness to compete at the highest level, and has two of the best in Miles Austin and Dez Bryant to learn from.

Another area in which Kemp stood out was special teams. In the video, you see him blocking for returns, and returning. He really stands out as a blocker. He was all too willing to put his shoulder into coverage personnel and lay them out. He almost seemed to enjoy it more than catching the ball.

All-in-all, Kemp has the measurables to become a real force on the outside for the Cowboys, even if only in spot duty. His straight-line burst is exceptional. He should be as effective as Sam Hurd was on special teams (and much faster). Look for Kemp to seriously threaten for a roster spot. He was an excellent pickup as a priority UDFA.

Good analysis. Thanks.

Good analysis. Thanks.

I didn't write that. Just found it and liked it.