Pavelec

Bogo suffered by being rushed into the NHL by Atlanta.  He improved greatly the first season in Winnipeg.  This year he started out on his off-side mentoring Trouba.  Then he was hurt.  I think that impacted him.  I have no doubt he will be a top 4, if not quality top 2 D man.

And yes, Trouba is untouchable.  Trouba, Scheif and Wheeler are untouchable in my opinion.

Yakupov is actually a hard working player, he just needs more help from the coaches he's getting in Edmonton. 

He has to want help from his coaches first. He reminds me of Burmistrov in that he works hard and has talent but won't adapt his game to what his coaches want him to do.

From what I've read about him it sounds like his "people" are a little too involved with his career and it's causing friction with the Oilers' management & coaches.

Maybe his agent takes too big a hands on approach, but Yakupov is coachable. The quote everyone brings up is bullshit because it's a kid without a good grasp on the language and it got taken the wrong way. What Yakupov needs is a coach who will sit him down and teach him how to work smarter not harder. Eakins obviously isn't that guy though because everyone but Perron and Hall (and even Hall at times) looks completely clueless about where they're supposed to be on the ice. It's not just defensively either, that team is so disjointed offensively because no one is on the same page. Even RNH who in his first 2 years looked like the smartest guy on the ice looks clueless this year (also praised by the coach for how much he listens) If Craig Mctavish realizes how bad he goofed hiring Eakins and fires him then those players will all of a sudden look a hell of a lot better. 

Guys who would have benefited from a stint in the minors:

1. Evander Kane, 2. Bogosian, 3. Yakupov, 4. Taylor Hall, 5. Hopkins

Trouba would NOT have benefited from minors.

Schiefele may have benefited but he would have gotten himself butchered in the minors, being all of 6'2" and 180 lbs at time of drafting. Did nicely playing an extra year in juniors, putting on at least 10 lbs. He'll be even better when he reaches 200 lbs. and starts putting up a better fight against bullies.

Schiefele may have benefited but he would have gotten himself butchered in the minors, being all of 6'2" and 180 lbs at time of drafting. Did nicely playing an extra year in juniors, putting on at least 10 lbs. He'll be even better when he reaches 200 lbs. and starts putting up a better fight against bullies.

You can't play AHL the year of your draft.  It's either NHL or back to junior.

I don't believe that's true? JC Lipon and Brenden Kichton were both drafted this year and played in St. John's....

You can't play AHL the year of your draft. It's either NHL or back to junior.
I don't believe that's true? JC Lipon and Brenden Kichton were both drafted this year and played in St. John's....

Wasn't Kichton drafted by the Islanders?

They're different b/c they're older. I was referring to 18 year olds.

They're different b/c they're older. I was referring to 18 year olds.

Doesn't the league refuse minor league demotion if the draftee still has eligible years left in juniors?

Guess thats why Taylor Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov  all went straight into the Oilers lineup?

Kitchon turned 21 in June, 2013 so iirc he wasn't eligible to play in the WHL. Lipon turned 20 in July, 2013. AHL was the better place for Lipon to be development-wise.

Fire the coach? Novel concept. It's more than coaching with the rot going on in Edmonton.

It's not the only problem but it's by far the biggest one. Too many players took a step back with Eakins for him to not be problem #1. 

Nah man, the problem is in Edmonton, you can fire coaches all you want, how many coaches tho need to be fired until you look at the players on the ice? Hall had a good year, point a game player, eberle had a down year but still, he had an ok year, yakupov suffered a little bit of sophomore jinx, longer season then last year also. Im not a huge oiler fan but its pretty obvious there biggest issue is they dont have any nhl d men really. Ferrence? he's a good bottom pairing guy but he aint a top 2 guy and thats what he played this season. Edmontons problem is they have drafted skilled forwards, smaller ones at that and rushed them. Their biggest issue is D by far, They cant play D. None of them can, They just arent a good defensive. Is this not the 3rd or 4th coach this team has had in the last few years? None of them coaches could get the job done, what that means is its not the coach, its the players. Edmonton should have taken Murray instead of Yakupov and should have let a few of their guys play in the minors first (RNH for sure, dudes so small its crazy)

Coaches coach man, players play. 3 4 coaches the last  4 years have had the same results really. Eventually you gotta realize its not the coach, its the players.

Fire the coach? Novel concept. It's more than coaching with the rot going on in Edmonton.

It's not the only problem but it's by far the biggest one. Too many players took a step back with Eakins for him to not be problem #1. 

Nah man, the problem is in Edmonton, you can fire coaches all you want, how many coaches tho need to be fired until you look at the players on the ice? Hall had a good year, point a game player, eberle had a down year but still, he had an ok year, yakupov suffered a little bit of sophomore jinx, longer season then last year also. Im not a huge oiler fan but its pretty obvious there biggest issue is they dont have any nhl d men really. Ferrence? he's a good bottom pairing guy but he aint a top 2 guy and thats what he played this season. Edmontons problem is they have drafted skilled forwards, smaller ones at that and rushed them. Their biggest issue is D by far, They cant play D. None of them can, They just arent a good defensive. Is this not the 3rd or 4th coach this team has had in the last few years? None of them coaches could get the job done, what that means is its not the coach, its the players. Edmonton should have taken Murray instead of Yakupov and should have let a few of their guys play in the minors first (RNH for sure, dudes so small its crazy)

Coaches coach man, players play. 3 4 coaches the last  4 years have had the same results really. Eventually you gotta realize its not the coach, its the players.

Well let me tell you why I say the coach is the biggest problem.... the PP in the previous 2 years was a huge weapon for that team, it won them enough games in the lockout season to move them up the standings... This season with the same players on it the thing sank to a point where not only were they not scoring on it they were giving up a ton of odd man rushes and scoring chances and goals the other way. Only thing that changed was the coach. Yakupov went from leading the team in goals as a rookie after improving all season to looking like he didn't have a clue how to play hockey. RNH his first 2 years looked like a guy with incredible hockey IQ and then this season looked absolutely lost on the ice. Coach praised him for how much he listened too... It's not that the roster is perfect, it isn't, but the amount of players who regressed under Eakins is too high to keep him. Kreuger may not have been a good coach, but he did more with less. Hell firing Tom Renney was the biggest mistake I think, but just because they've fired a bunch of coaches doesn't mean they've hired better ones. I disagree with your assessment that the Oilers can't play defense well enough, the big problem is they don't play enough offense. The only line that could keep the puck in the proper end of the rink was when they put Hall and Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins together, but the coach in his infinite wisdom only put them together at the end of the year. The rest of the time they could rush the puck up once but then it would get turned over and go back the other way. Any team would look bad defensively if you can't control the puck. People like to pretend they know what's going on by throwing out the nonsense they hear on tv but those guys don't watch enough things that aren't leafs to know what they're talking about anyway. Trust me on this, there are some things the roster needs to improve on, but the biggest issue for that team is that Dallas Eakins is a terrible coach. 

Yak might look appealing to the Jets if Maurice remains coach.  He coached in Russia and has repeatedly stated he has a much better understanding of what those players go through.  I'd hesitate to bring in too many Russians simply due to the fact the KHL will always be used as a threat at contract time, but I very much want Burmi back (he'd be a terrific number 3 center with PP and PK ability and able to step into a 2nd line role if need be).  Burmi and Yak together might be dynamic.

People need to get off the Burmistrov train, he aint coming back. Its obvious actually.

People can suggest he was upset with noel but he was upset with management cuz they sent him to st johns during the lockout.

Guy is getting paid so much money to play in the KHL, would he give that up for half of that to be a 3rd line center here?

Im not sure he would, i know i wouldnt.

Money talks, and burmi wont get here what he's getting in the KHL. not even close.

The burmistrov train has sailed. Ive never understood the fascination with him anyways, sure he's got skill but Odell looked just as good really this season.

I think Burmistrov comes back and I think he surprises. I also think that had he not been Russian more people would love him and praise the defensive role he provided while he was here. He was picked around the same time as Couturier and while he may not be quite the defensive player that Couturier is, he's not far off. Their offensive games are similar as well. Couturier is praised as one of the best defensive forwards in the game and a prized young player and Burmistrov is scum? Give me a break.