Buck Pierce......should Goltz Start?

Brandon

That's the problem with Toronto, stopping Ray is easier said than done, especially when your defense is built to play more of a man cover scheme. He's the most accurate passer in the CFL AINEC so even when receivers are covered he still puts balls in places that give his receivers a chance to make a play, and god help you if there is a bit of space there. Basically to stop Ray you need relentless pressure on every snap of the game. 

That's the problem with Toronto, stopping Ray is easier said than done, especially when your defense is built to play more of a man cover scheme. He's the most accurate passer in the CFL AINEC so even when receivers are covered he still puts balls in places that give his receivers a chance to make a play, and god help you if there is a bit of space there. Basically to stop Ray you need relentless pressure on every snap of the game. 

Yep. Exactly.  I agree with you 110%. You can't sit back hoping just covering receivers or backs out of the backfield is enough to stop Ray. That is exactly what he wants & for good reason. We saw the results. A defense has to blitz. Of course, it is a high risk, high reward situation as he could burn us. But it is the risk that has to be taken. Sitting back the way we did just rushing four? That wasn't the answer either.

but even blitzing all the time isn't guaranteed to stop him, he knows how to read and react to that. You actually have to get to him all the time. 

Well, he doesn't win every game he plays so someone must be doing something right. Playing passive wasn't the answer. My philosophy after seeing the Bombers D being blown up by Ray by the third quarter last  Friday was switch tactics. Go down swinging on defense, not ducking.

The entire game changed when Buck threw that pick. 

We were in the game...it was a game, and then in 2 plays, the game was over. Buck became Hank.

There is no doubt...Goltz should start.

I'm not disagreeing.  I'm not defending that pick.  I'm not defending Buck.  But, "The entire game changed when he threw that pick."  What does that tell you about the rest of the team? 

I'm not disagreeing.  I'm not defending that pick.  I'm not defending Buck.  But, "The entire game changed when he threw that pick."  What does that tell you about the rest of the team? 

The game was over before that pick. Ray's play & the play of our offense & the fact our defense was in chase mode all night took care of that. I sat in the stands & was thinking barring some kind of major miracle, there's  no way the Bombers win this one. Even when it was still close.

Stability and a belief that our offense will actually put points on the board could go a long way in helping the entire team.

Hard to get motivated if you're a defensive player right now.

Also makes this organization a tough sell for impending defensive free agents ..

Well, Buck has no room for big errors if he can't find a way to be efficient.  That's what it really tells us, and what's been told since 2010.  The only chance this team has to win a game with the way Buck plays is if the defense is miraculous, if they are average or bad, it's a blowout.

Well, Buck has no room for big errors if he can't find a way to be efficient.  That's what it really tells us, and what's been told since 2010.  The only chance this team has to win a game with the way Buck plays is if the defense is miraculous, if they are average or bad, it's a blowout.

that, imo is a huge indictment of how this team has been built by Mack:

to win, the offence and ST has to score a few touchdowns while having almost zero room for making mistakes and meanwhile the defence has to play at a very high level and limit opponent scoring while forcing them to turn the ball over.

if those conditions aren't met, the Bombers have no plan B.

They probably thought, here we go.  And were waiting for another and another and another.  They see the same thing everyone else does.  If the passes are not 10 feet over everyone's head, out of bounds or shoelace height they are cherries ripe for the picking. 

Pretty sad for a fan to watch, can't imagine what the players go through....

Goltz and Buck are really  at this moment not much different in terms of effectiveness but there is a lot more potential in Goltz improving the offense than Buck.

I think there is a big difference.  Goltz at least gets out of the pocket and makes plays, Buck just stands there like a tackling dummy waiting for his O-line to let a guy through so he can be sacked.  Having a mobile QB is just such a huge weapon in the CFL, as it keeps the other team off balance.  Just look at Lulay.  I'd say his passing skills are average at best, but he makes plays happen and always has to have a guy spying him as he's a constant threat to just take off with the ball.  Goltz has that same threat, whereas no one is afraid of Buck's scrambling anymore.

I think there is a big difference.  Goltz at least gets out of the pocket and makes plays, Buck just stands there like a tackling dummy waiting for his O-line to let a guy through so he can be sacked.  Having a mobile QB is just such a huge weapon in the CFL, as it keeps the other team off balance.  Just look at Lulay.  I'd say his passing skills are average at best, but he makes plays happen and always has to have a guy spying him as he's a constant threat to just take off with the ball.  Goltz has that same threat, whereas no one is afraid of Buck's scrambling anymore.

Glenn and freaking 40 year old AC are better scramblers than Buck at this point in all of their respective careers. 

I've seen Lulay thread the needle with his passes most time. I think he's more accurate throwing than being given credit for. What he is really good for is using his legs to pick up yardage. He's mobile & can avoid the rush or tuck away the football & run if he has to. Buck can run but when he does bad things happen. Lulay is Buck Pierce in 2006.

The difference between AC & Buck right now??? Pierce never whines & cries.  He takes his lumps, is a team first player & never complains . AC cries & moans, points fingers, has temper tantrums & puts his arms in the air going WTF??? Like  it;s never his fault. Even though Pierce isn't the player he used to be, can you imagine what AC would do with the Bomber offense if he was our qb??? *****, moan & complain.

The difference between AC & Buck right now??? Pierce never whines & cries.  He takes his lumps, is a team first player & never complains . AC cries & moans, points fingers, has temper tantrums & puts his arms in the air going WTF??? Like  it;s never his fault. Even though Pierce isn't the player he used to be, can you imagine what AC would do with the Bomber offense if he was our qb??? *****, moan & complain.

But at least the locker room would be fully stocked with Dove moisturizer.

that, imo is a huge indictment of how this team has been built by Mack:

to win, the offence and ST has to score a few touchdowns while having almost zero room for making mistakes and meanwhile the defence has to play at a very high level and limit opponent scoring while forcing them to turn the ball over.

if those conditions aren't met, the Bombers have no plan B.

funny because that's exactly what the Argos looked like until they got a qb.... or do you mistakenly think the team suddenly got built differently? It's the CFL, if you have a qb you always have a chance, if you don't have a qb you're screwed.

But at least the locker room would be fully stocked with Dove moisturizer.

We (including myself) knock Buck a lot here. But no one can question his loyalty to the Bombers & his teammates. Not like AC who really should retire because it's all about him. Take his football, pout a little bit more, blame others that he has to quit & go off into retirement.