Bombers Vs Als: Post Game Thread

iso_55

I just watched Tim Burke's post-game scrum on the Bomber website.  He didn't sound too happy with Buck's performance.  He said Buck was too wound up and was getting the ball off far too early, before the play was developing.  I have a feeling that the Bomber coaches are going to make Buck's life a bit miserable the next few days after they study the game film as there were just too many blown opportunities and open guys that Buck wasn't hitting.

Burke also said the lack of run production was due to Montreal "stacking the box".  I've heard this term a lot over the years, and clearly it's a strategy that is used a lot to beat us by league defences.  I am assuming that this means that they are forcing Buck to beat them with his arm, and as he proved last night, he'll throw the ball away or make bad choices if he receives a lot of pressure.  The next game will go a long way to showing if the Bombers game plan changes to deal with this, and also if Buck can settle down and work with a gameplan designed to take away this strategy.  If Watson and Etienne were left alone all night and the ball wasn't getting to them then changes have to be made ASAP.

I just watched Tim Burke's post-game scrum on the Bomber website.  He didn't sound too happy with Buck's performance.  He said Buck was too wound up and was getting the ball off far too early, before the play was developing.  I have a feeling that the Bomber coaches are going to make Buck's life a bit miserable the next few days after they study the game film as there were just too many blown opportunities and open guys that Buck wasn't hitting.

Burke also said the lack of run production was due to Montreal "stacking the box".  I've heard this term a lot over the years, and clearly it's a strategy that is used a lot to beat us by league defences.  I am assuming that this means that they are forcing Buck to beat them with his arm, and as he proved last night, he'll throw the ball away or make bad choices if he receives a lot of pressure.  The next game will go a long way to showing if the Bombers game plan changes to deal with this, and also if Buck can settle down and work with a gameplan designed to take away this strategy.  If Watson and Etienne were left alone all night and the ball wasn't getting to them then changes have to be made ASAP.

In general receivers were able to get open, maybe less so in the second half as the Als tightened their defense up.  I know I'm beating the drum hard on this one if the QB had made the right reads Crowton's offense would have looked a lot better.  Between Barressi, LaPo and Crowton I really think we need to consider that (most of) the problem isn't on the schemes right now.

Cavillo already looked shy.

On the Buck -AC comparison the difference was the type of pressure. Someone mentioned AC stepping up in the pocket. When there is no inside pressure and pressure from only the outside the pocket does not collapse and you can step up. Montreal had inside pressure as well and therefore collapsing the pocket. Buck was forced to the outside and had to throw on the run. Bombers had no inside pressure AC could step up.

As soon as I noticed Buck rolling out on most plays, I started watching the inside blocking. Morley was getting beat far too often.

Buck needed to complete a few hot routes to them back off with the pressure. They weren't getting much with just their front four, but when they rushed 5 or 6.  It's going to be a long season if the offense can't make that adjustment.

As soon as I noticed Buck rolling out on most plays, I started watching the inside blocking. Morley was getting beat far too often.

That holding call he had killed a good drive we had going on one of Simpson's few good runs and really set us back.  Bad penalties at the wrong times killed us last year, and they killed us again last night.

About what I expected to see, 2 teams looking very rusty, particularly on offense. I thought the crowd would pull the Bombers over the top for the win though.

Draw play on 2nd and 7, I thought we had seen the last of that.........terrible decision to punt from the end zone.

About what I expected to see, 2 teams looking very rusty, particularly on offense. I thought the crowd would pull the Bombers over the top for the win though.

Draw play on 2nd and 7, I thought we had seen the last of that.........terrible decision to punt from the end zone.

That mindset amazes me; not wanting to give up two points but failing see that you'll probably give at least a field goal. Calvillo had been cashing in on short fields all night.

Lots of positives from last nights game.

Like others, Buck's performance frustrated the hell out of me. IMO, there was nothing that Buck did, that I felt Goltz couldn't do better.

This is my main concern. None of our qbs have shown to be anywhere close to Buck, and we all know how we feel about his play. So I've resigned to waiting it out with pierce and hoping he turns it on permanently sometime soon.

Tim Burke said it was the proper call and he had a better view than any of us.

I'm not disagreeing, it was a penalty, but the push-off wasn't noticed, kinda like the retaliation penalty in hockey getting called and not the first shot.

Watching both games tonight... Buck didn't even have a fraction of the time that the other qbs get when they drop back.  Our o-line was doing a very poor job in the last quarter.

Not sure the line should get all or even most of the blame.  Buck, Crowton and the line should share it.  Crowton has to call some plays to take advantage of the blitzes.  Buck has to recognize that if there are 8 guys on the line matched up against our 5 OL, you need to figure out which extra guys are going to break free (ie. think of your protection call) and work around it or use a hot route.    

Just starting the fourth quarter of the rewatch and have a few more thoughts to add...

I want to see more Etienne.  Very fluid runner, solid speed, good hands.  I'm not saying he will or will not continue to play well, just that I saw enough that I want to see more of him.

Our defense could be really, really special - but they are going to get stuck with bad field position all year.

Alex Suber is criminally underrated.

Our offense looks more conservative on TV than it did when I was watching at the stadium.  Not sure how or why that is (camera angle vs upper deck view?) but there is a lot of potential for it to pick up yards in bigger chunks but the execution at various positions (not just QB) at different times is what killed a lot of it.  One play it would be Buck, the next the line, and so on.

The Fly offense the Als run is interesting and could be really successful in this league...but I wouldn't run it with Calvillo.  Whenever you want to use plays that include the threat of the QB pulling the ball back and taking off you're going to need a QB more athletic than Calvillo.  Though whenever the post-Calvillo era begins this offense could be really unique and creative.

I didn't notice it live but Buck was limping after several hits already.

Elliot was given a chance at training camp... BC's. He's 3rd string for them.

hahah so much this.. I cant believe people still think elliott would have been the saviour and yet hes not able to steal #2 IN B.C. yup def. starter material there, lol

Look at the throw to Edwards that watson jumped and tried to take (and dropped)

Edwards catches that pass and it is off to the races

I invented new words of profanity when Watson did that!!!! What was Watson doing there??? Know your playbook!!! 

Stacking the box means a defense has 8 & sometimes 9 guys between the tackles. Defense should be vulnerable over the top& in the flats & curl zones. Running the football between the tackles in impossible as OL is overmatched. Defense vulnerable over the top as well as in the flats & curls on the field. Swings & look ins work as does running outside. 

QB and receiver need to recognize where the blitz is coming from and go to the vacated area, it's as much the receivers responsibility as it is the QB's to react to it. It's only game one, this is an area they have to improve in going forward as teams will continue to outman them at the line until they show that they can make you pay for it.

One thing I didn't like about the Bomber offense though was the lack of play action and pump and goes, they never seemed to be setting the Als defence up for anything.