REDBLACKS major announcement today, Burris Signed

gbill2004

This is my point exactly (or I should say your reaction is at any rate).

Fans won't have the patience to let Willy grow and develop .. nor would they have with Collaros .. these are young guys .. with tools .. but not a whole lot of experience .. there will be ups and downs .. there will be struggles with those guys ..  fans will be on them if they struggle and the weight of those expectations .. to deliver us from the dark ages .. is staggering ..

No.. I think the fans will be willing to go through the growing pains with Qbs that are showing glimpses of being something great while being inconsistent. 

The fans are not going to sit through another season, with the same performance from the same QBs we had last year.

In my opinion, Hank took the easy way out here.

Tons of money, play for a team that has no pressure on them to be successful at all.

In Winnipeg all the pressure would be on him to turn around the offence, and make the team successful again.  Winning is expected/demanded in Winnipeg.  In Ottawa showing up is probably good enough.

Great point. Never thought about that.

Last time Burris signed with a new team he took them to a 6 - 12 record in his first season.

The team had the best offense in the league and the worst defense in the league. Wasn't his fault.

Bottom line is today is a massive failure for the Bomber organization. I'm constantly defending the Bombers but today was a colossal failure. Walters really let us down.

You said the same thing twice already or did you forget? One thought mind!

I've never been so angry as a loyal Bomber fan. No matter how fans try to spin it, today was a huge failure. Woohoo...we saved $25,000! Meanwhile Ottawa has their man.

I'm so glad we aren't overpaying for a QB, I'd much rather have no one at all. The name of the game is not winning, it is saving as much money as possible. Save save save.

What exactly were you expecting Henry Burris to win for us?  

And yes...Walters should be sure to sign Steve Myddleton, the mystical free agent NI OL, just give him a blank cheque.

It is going to be a couple years of rebuilding in terms of NI's and QB's.  That's the price we pay for relying on Buck Pierce for 4 seasons, wasting picks on Etienne's and Pencer's.  If this rebuild isn't done right and we chase mediocre players like Burris to the detriment of developing better players, it will take even longer.

But if the fans sit through two more years of medirocity there won't be any fans left to pay the bills...

Pierce was a stop gap to help fill the void while we looked for / developed a future starting QB.. it didn't happen..  The qbs that we had failed to perform and have been cast off.

If you are okay with 2 more years for 4-14 - 6-12  years you will be mightly lonely in the stands.. 

Last time Burris signed with a new team he took them to a 6 - 12 record in his first season.

The team had the best offense in the league and the worst defense in the league. Wasn't his fault.

Bottom line is today is a massive failure for the Bomber organization. I'm constantly defending the Bombers but today was a colossal failure. Walters really let us down.

I've never been so angry as a loyal Bomber fan. No matter how fans try to spin it, today was a huge failure. Woohoo...we saved $25,000! Meanwhile Ottawa has their man.

Ottawa has TWO starting QBs that have been in the GRey Cup the TWO previous seasons.

We have Max Hall.. Who i actually like.. But realize he is not at the same level as any other starting QB in the league, Well at least with last years offence.

Ottawa has TWO starting QBs that have been in the GRey Cup the TWO previous seasons.

We have Max Hall.. Who i actually like.. But realize he is not at the same level as any other starting QB in the league, Well at least with last years offence.

And both looked beyond awful in those games, one of whom will be out of the league in two years while we still have a chance to grab a QB who has more of a track record than Mike Reilly has, yet everyone was SO enamoured with him. If those two QB's were such prized possessions, their teams would not have parted with them. Simply making an appearance in the Grey Cup is not the be all and end all. If it was they wouldn't be under contract with an expansion team.

The bottom line is this folks. Regardless of the cap going up or how much room we have you just DO NOT pay that kind of money to a 39 year old quarterback. It's just not in any way, shape or form smart business. His track record doesn't justify it, his age doesn't justify it and us being a rebuilding ball club does not justify it. 

All that being said Henry isn't the bad guy here. It's quite clear what he wanted: One last big pay day before he retires, and hey good for him, he got it. Today should be much more about the Ottawa business model than us losing out on a quarterback. It's clear that Desjardins hasn't learned from his Hamilton days, and that Ottawa as a whole has not learned from one of the many reasons behind them folding yet again.

There's a $300,000 spread between the floor and the cap.  How does a $400,000 (reportedly) contract to a QB which is less than Lulay ($450,000 or $475,000), less than Ray ($450,000 - $500,000), slightly more than Collaros and Durant (both around $300,000) lead to the Ottawa team folding??

I'm so glad we aren't overpaying for a QB, I'd much rather have no one at all. The name of the game is not winning, it is saving as much money as possible. Save save save.

And yes...Walters should be sure to sign Steve Myddleton, the mystical free agent NI OL, just give him a blank cheque.

It is going to be a couple years of rebuilding in terms of NI's and QB's.  That's the price we pay for relying on Buck Pierce for 4 seasons, wasting picks on Etienne's and Pencer's.  If this rebuild isn't done right and we chase mediocre players like Burris to the detriment of developing better players, it will take even longer.

But if the fans sit through two more years of medirocity there won't be any fans left to pay the bills...

Pierce was a stop gap to help fill the void while we looked for / developed a future starting QB.. it didn't happen..  The qbs that we had failed to perform and have been cast off.

If you are okay with 2 more years for 4-14 - 6-12  years you will be mightly lonely in the stands.. 

The major fallacy spewing from yourself and a few others is that Burris and a couple free agents in this year's market are going to change the fact that we are the worst team in our division...they won't.

Need to rebuild this football team from the ground up, starting with management and coaching, now on the field.

The major fallacy spewing from yourself and a few others is that Burris and a couple free agents in this year's market are going to change the fact that we are the worst team in our division...they won't.

Need to rebuild this football team from the ground up, starting with management and coaching, now on the field.

Simple yet sophisticated. Absolutely bang on.

With this team's luck, Glenn will either end up in Montreal or Edmonton and if Willy receives zero offers other than Winnipeg's, he''l end up announcing his retirement.

If Burris is here, it gives us a couple years to develop a franchise QB...  now we are in a position where we have to 'waste' a pick for Glenn or throw whichever new talent bring in to the wolves... we've seen how that works out.

How do you develop QB's?  Hamilton had Burris on their roster the last couple years, is Lefevour ready to start?

It's not as simple as you make it out to be.  QB's need to play to develop.  If Burris would give us a chance to finish top 2 in our division, he would be worth it.  He doesn't.

But several posters on here have let it be known that the fans' lack of patience in young inexperienced starters has led to their lack of development.  Wouldn't it be better for the team to bring in an experienced Qb, like Burris to start the majority or all of the games and have a young understudy (like Willy) come in for a few drives throughout the season.  Willy doesn't have to come in every game but every other game would be fine for a drive or two.  Austin did this with Masoli and Lefevour last year and seemed to have some success with it. 

Better to bring a young QB along slowly than just throw him to the wolves.

Note:  With regards to my first statement, I don't necessarily agree with those posters who claim the fans are to the blame for the QBs lack of progress that's moreso lack of talent and their inability to learn from past mistakes.  However, a  veteran QB would allow for the more gradual progression of a young QB while providing the Bombers with an immediate upgrade from last season.  

And both looked beyond awful in those games, one of whom will be out of the league in two years while we still have a chance to grab a QB who has more of a track record than Mike Reilly has, yet everyone was SO enamoured with him. If those two QB's were such prized possessions, their teams would not have parted with them. Simply making an appearance in the Grey Cup is not the be all and end all. If it was they wouldn't be under contract with an expansion team.

The difference being, that both those teams had younger Quaterbacks that were playing at a high enough level to replace the aging starters.. I would argue that Calgary did not give up on Glen, but could only protect one QB and picked their QB of the future.

We are in a much different situation.. We have Max Hall and "FIx My Tie" Goltz that have show that, at best, can win some games when the Defence dominates the other teams offence.. 

I would much rather have either of those QBs then what we have now. One may be on the way out, But through for 5000 yards last year and 40 touchdowns.. In comparison how many did we have?  Those QB played a very integral role in those teams making it to the grey cup regardless of how you think they played in the Grey Cup.

I guess Peyton Manning is a bum.. 

My thoughts...

-Disappointed that we didn't get Hank but at $465,000 Walters made the right move.

-While Burris would have given us a legit starter and probably 8 or 9 wins that likely doesn't get us in the playoffs.

-We were probably looking at Burris for two years which really is a stop gap. Maybe it's best that this happens and it forces us to 'do it the right way' and find a long term answer.

-Just sucks to know that we have no chance at a GC this year and probably next (assuming we are developing a young QB), which would mean a win in 2016...26 years between Championships, I'd be 33 and too old to really enjoy it. 

-Mostly disapointing because acquiring Banks and Burris sent a message that we want to win NOW.

Rebuilding is a fallacy in a 9 team league where 6 make the playoffs...where all the teams are on the same level playing field fighting to recruit imports from the same talent pool down south...those perceived to be not good enough or lacking the physical makeup to be in the NFL.  Reloading while building up your non-import talent base through the draft is completely feasible.  There are several examples of this.

Right... but having All Stars or players with consistent histories of playing at a very high level elivates the play and talent of the team as a whole.  Burris is not going to make us champ on his own.. But he would have remidied a huge and glaring issue that this team has been reeling with for the past 5 seasons.  If the Team is competitive and in the hunt, the fans and players are going to show up.   Going along with questionable talent at key positions is going to have us going through around and around in cirlces.. You can have the best Recievers in the league, but if the QB can't get them the ball the team is going to still stuck..

Yup.. Keep Rebuilding.. the last 5 years of rebuilding were such a success..  Tried the use old veterns,  Tried using the young players that may or may not be up and comers...    We need a mix of both and Burris/Glenn/ Collaros/ Rielly could have made a big difference.

Hopefully things change, but until something really changes i'm not going to be optomistic.. Been there done that the last 5 years.

My thoughts...

-Disappointed that we didn't get Hank but at $465,000 Walters made the right move.

-While Burris would have given us a legit starter and probably 8 or 9 wins that likely doesn't get us in the playoffs.

-We were probably looking at Burris for two years which really is a stop gap. Maybe it's best that this happens and it forces us to 'do it the right way' and find a long term answer.

-Just sucks to know that we have no chance at a GC this year and probably next (assuming we are developing a young QB), which would mean a win in 2016...26 years between Championships, I'd be 33 and too old to really enjoy it. 

-Mostly disapointing because acquiring Banks and Burris sent a message that we want to win NOW.

I have little Faith we find our own young, promising qb... We haven't done it in the past 20 years... Insanity.. doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Rebuilding is a fallacy in a 9 team league where 6 make the playoffs...where all the teams are on the same level playing field fighting to recruit imports from the same talent pool down south...those perceived to be not good enough or lacking the physical makeup to be in the NFL.  Reloading while building up your non-import talent base through the draft is completely feasible.  There are several examples of this.

We aren't on the same level as other teams recruiting anybody...see Eric Norwood.

We need to rebuild.  This isn't a regular 3-15 team, this is a rotten franchise.

My thoughts...

At some point our run of bad luck has to end. I never thought I would see a GC in Winnipeg back in the 1980's and then all of a sudden Harold Ballard gifted us Tom Clements. You never know what might fall in your lap in this league. You just have to keep trucking.

My thoughts...

At some point our run of bad luck has to end. I never thought I would see a GC in Winnipeg back in the 1980's and then all of a sudden Harold Ballard gifted us Tom Clements. You never know what might fall in your lap in this league. You just have to keep trucking.

That was still a good team in Winnipeg prior to Clements coming in.  Just bad luck that they ran into the greatest dynasty in CFl history in the playoffs.